new found respect for phil ivey...

Not that I didn't have any before... But I picked up Bluff magazine when I was playing a couple weeks ago, and read one of the best stories ever about Phil.I'll summarize.The story started out about players not being respectful, and taking it out on the dealers. (Written by a dealer).... Well he was telling this story about a well known pro, but he called him Mr. X (Not sure who it was, but it sounded so Hellmuth like it was scary... I could be wrong though)....Anyway... Mr. X was playing heads up with another top pro, and took some bad beats, and was taking it out on the dealer. The other player tossed the dealer a $500 chip and Mr. X snatched it up before the dealer could grab it, and said that "If you tip this dealer I'm leaving".... The player had to take it back since he was taking so much money off Mr. X and didn't want him to leave.Fast forward to a new game.Mr. X is sitting at a table of big name pro's... one of the big games, not sure when and where. Phil Ivey is on the other end of the table playing nice and tight, and Mr. X starts to give him crap about it. Says come on Phil, why don't you want to gamble, don't just sit there... loosen up and gamble a little bit!!Phil was getting frustrated and finally snaps back....He says...."Ok, You want to gamble??.... Lets flip quarters! I'll flip quarters for your entire stack. (which was about 500k).... He says... Come on, you wanted to gamble, lets flip quarters for your stack. As he is digging in his pocket for a quarter, completely ready to flip for his whole stack......Mr. X of course didn't take the bet, and stopped all his talking.I thought this was hilarious... Anyone else read this article?

phil ivey is funny man, he made me laugh with the comment on Freddie Deeb's shirt (when he had a set, and Freddie had a pair of kings, and Freddie hit a set of K's on the turn) "you're gonna have to pay me somethin to wear that" :D

I can't believe that X would make a comment like that to Ivey. Ivey is a gambler, pure and simple. When Turning Stone held a tournament in NY (The one they showed live with Ivey, Juanda, and Diagustino), Ivey said that he wanted to at least finish 2nd so he coule break even because he lost $200,000 playing props while at the tables, betting on which cards would come out on the board. Thats gambling...

On Bluffmagazine's website, the cover story is by Josh Arieh telling of them getting held up at the Aviation Club in Paris. Ivey, Greenstein and the rest are not only playing but prop betting what typw of hand will win each hand. As the gunmen enter in the club a flop is dealt and as the players are hiding under the table and Ivey cracks "I want to double up this hand, guys". That might the funniesta nd most telling quote I've ever seen regarding poker and especially Ivey.

How could this be Hellmuth (Player X) i thought he doesnt play in cash game hardly at all let alone the "big game"...sounds like him but if he doesnt play in the big games how could it be??????

Actually, Player X doesn't sound like Hellmuth. While Hellmuth certainly vents on players and plays that he doesn't agree with, I have never heard of him having a reputation for berating dealers. Guys like John Bonetti and Johnny Chan are well-known to berate and abuse dealers and staff.Hellmuth exhibits some bad behavior, no doubt. But by all accounts he's a very decent guy and a gentleman to "non-combatants."

Yeah... I doubt very much this was Hellmuth. Apart from the fact that it's a cash game, I've never heard anything about Hellmuth being disrespectful towards dealers. He berates the players not the dealers.I've heard stories about Chan being rude and aggressive to dealers but this doesn't really sound like him either..You guys probably know about this blog ...http://pokerworks.com/blog/blogger.htmlIt's from a dealer perspective and some of the stuff is quite good... alot of it is Mr.X type naming too though ....

Man thats no good. I might suscribe to the mag. but its 25$ FOR 6 COPIES, ARE YOU JOKEING. the need to really bring down the price and they need to start making it so that they send you atleast 2 new copies a week or there is no way that they will stay in the running with cardplayer.

Was just watching a headsup between Phil Ivey and the infamous SpiritRock. Two interest hands came up back to back after the two were about even in chips after going back and forth for a while. 25/ 50 NLFirst handDealt to SpiritRock 8 :) 7 :) Dealt to Phil Ivey J :D 8 :D SpiritRock raised preflop and Ivey calledFlop 8 :D 2 :) J :) I believe there was $3000 in the pot after the flopTurn 7 :) Ivey goes all in for $3000 and after a bit, SpiritRock calls.River 7 :club: Final Board 8 :) 2 :) J :D 7 :D 7 :D SpiritRock rivers the Full HouseTotal Pot: $9999.50Calculated some odds on thisPreflopJ :D 8 :) 70.4%8 :) 7 :D 29.6%FlopJ :) 8 :) 98.1%8 :) 7 :) 1.9%TurnJ :D 8 :) 95.5%8 :) 7 :) 4.5%Ouch for Ivey!

Second handIvey buys back in for $5000SpiritRock has $9999.50Dealt to Ivey 9 :D T :) Dealt to SpiritRock J :) K :D SpiritRock is on the buttonI don't remember who raised preflopFlop J :) 8 :) 4 :club: Ivey checkraised SpiritRock all-in and SpiritRock callsTurn 6 :D River J :D Final Board J :D 8 :) 4 :D 6 :) J :D SpiritRock wins with King High FlushTotal Pot: $9999.50OddsPre-Flop9 :) T :) 38.5%K :D J :) 61.5$Flop9 :) T :) 77%K :) J :) 23%Turn9 :D T :) 4.5%K :) J :) 95.5%Ouch again for Ivey, though this wasn't quite as rough.

Sorry, all this occured on FullTilt. I guess I assumed most knew this. Sorry to mess up this thread, but seeing as you're talking about Ivey, thought I'd share a couple bad beats he took.

Phil is a class act. At the Bellagio last October I was playing10-20 and my table was the last in the rotation for the dealers before they went to the big table. They were all complaining that dealing there sucks not only because they don't tip but also because they berate them so much. Most all of the dealers did agree though that Phil Ivey was the best at the table(tipping and treatment wise) of the whole table which consisted of Ivey, Farha, Hanson, Harmon, Reese, Greenstien and a Eastern player I don't know his name but have seen him on tv before.

Is it just me, or does it seem like stories about SpiritRock playing heads up always have him winning a ton of money on incredible long shots? People say he's one of the best internet players, but from all the hands I've seen, he just seems incredibly lucky.

Man thats no good. I might suscribe to the mag. but its 25$ FOR 6 COPIES, ARE YOU JOKEING. the need to really bring down the price and they need to start making it so that they send you atleast 2 new copies a week or there is no way that they will stay in the running with cardplayer.
$4.00 an issue? What the hell is wrong with that? ...and two copies a week is a little excessive...f*uckin TV Guide doesn't come out twice a week!I suggest you subscribe...you won't be disappointed. I believe it is going to be a monthly publication in the very near future.As for the OP:Yes, that article was interesting! I also enjoyed Josh Arieh's "Magnificent Woo" story. That's some crazy stuff.