checking the river for information

Playing in a sng last night I had pocket 6's UTG and did a standard raise and eliminated everyone but one player. The flop came out 1 spades and a 6 to get my set. Player checks to me and I bet about 3/4 of the pot on the flop to test the waters and he calls.Turn comes out low spade. He checks and I bet about 1/2 the pot this time.Last card comes out a 3rd spade and he checks to me. I didn't think he had the flush but I was curious about what he had and I just checked and he flipped over the nut flush.He said he was surprised I din't bet again, but I mainly checked to see shat he was calling me with. I know it worked out because it saved me money against the flush but do any of you ever check down when you are last to act at the river to gain info on players.

I think you mean the turn was a low spade.At that point you need to bet the pot to make sure he doesn't have the odds to draw out against you.The river check might not be horrible if you don't think he would call a value bet, but might have hit a big hand for the check-raise...but I don't play NL so don't take my word for it.

He's not getting correct odds with a half pot bet on the turn, but you should still make him pay more, 3/4 of the pot would probably be good. I don't mind your river check too much for the reasons you gave, if for some reason you don't think he'll call a value bet on the river even though he's been calling you the whole way. Most of the time though, I think you should be more than willing to go broke with a set against a backdoor flush in a SnG. Did he have a pair or some other reason for calling the flop? Because otherwise he played the hand absolutely horrendously.

Playing in a sng last night I had pocket 6's UTG and did a standard raise and eliminated everyone but one player. The flop came out 1 spades and a 6 to get my set. Player checks to me and I bet about 3/4 of the pot on the flop to test the waters and he calls.Flop comes out low spade. He checks and I bet about 1/2 the pot this time.Last card comes out a 3rd spade and he checks to me. I didn't think he had the flush but I was curious about what he had and I just checked and he flipped over the nut flush.He said he was surprised I din't bet again, but I mainly checked to see shat he was calling me with. I know it worked out because it saved me money against the flush but do any of you ever check down when you are last to act at the river to gain info on players.
I like to check the river if I have a good but not great hand. If I plan on calling a river bet, but don't really know where I stand I'll check and call so I don't have to call a raise. (I don't know if that helps or makes sence)In your example I really like the river check because your probably only going to get a call from a flush, however I don't like your small bet on the turn. You invited him to stick around with the smallish bet and YOU payed for it!

He didn't have a pair after the flop High card was a Queen. I don't know if he put me on a A-something or a Q-something hoping to see an over card on the turn to see if it would scare me out but not for sure why he called with out a pair.

I would've also checked the river there. As for your turn bet, depending on stack sizes and how much was in the pot, I would've either bet the pot or put him all in for the rest of his chips on the turn.

I'm a bit confused by all of this, why would y'all check the river? Granted, I would've been betting harder on the turn. (much harder, 'cause if he's calling the 3/4 bet on the flop, i'd go at least that big on the turn) Is this results oriented thinking? There is no way I am putting him on a BACKDOOR spade draw if he calls that much on the flop. Only way I am checking this river is if it filled a bunch of straights. I'm thinking my set is good, and possibly going broke to a donkey. I wouldn't be too upset though, considering how much money he would've had to call to get to the river...

If I'm understanding the question correctly, your asking if anyone else checks on the river, to see what someone called all way down for. I know alot of the posters here will disagree, but I've been known to do it on occasion, even when I know they was on a busted draw, just to see if my reads are right/ what range of hands they play/ if they hang around with middle pair, etc. Anything to help me further get reads on them, for play later.Again, I know some posters will disagree, and say value bet/ get all the money you can, but if I'm 80 percent sure he's gonna fold to a river bet, but want further information on the person, to use against them later, I will on occasion check the river.Take Care

i dont really like this river check and i think that it will cost you money most of the time. checking because your interested in what he had is a move that will cost you money in the long run. however checking because you picked up a tell that he hit his hand is a good move. all in all though, the majority of the time, he is not gonna be playing with a backdoor flush so you should bet. am i the only one that htinks this?

The money you lose by checking could occasionally be a fair price to buy some info. That said, I think in most SnGs it is more important to accumulate chips when you get the chance. This was not the time to be "paying him off". You need to win all the chips you can here.I also don't think the turn bet was too bad. He bet enough to take away odds for the flush draw, and he potentially induces some calls here from a weak top or middle pair.

I think him checking the spades there was a terrible play. The OP obviously had a hand, but flushes, even runner runner ones, scare people off from betting . Alot of people check theriver ingeneral... like the op. He should have value bet into him, and not a small bet. Trip sixes would have called alot..