so it's cool to laydown big hands now, right? wtf!

I noticed this "fad" recently on a lot of the boards. Laying down big hands is now the cool thing to do. Folding KK preflop? Folding the top fullhouse on the flop? Are you kidding me?Unless you see the other players cards, folding KK preflop is ALWAYS wrong mathmatically (unless it's a satelite situation). You're about 22-1 to not run into AA, and even if you do, you will beat AA 20% of the time. So I don't care what tell you have or the guy only reraises with aces bull people always claim. If you're folding KK preflop, you're weak and will never beat a game badly if you're affraid to play that hand.I've asked every pro I've had a chance to talk to, just to see what they say(I don't need their justification, just wanted to see what they'd say). I've asked Gus Hansen, Hoyt Corkins, Moneymaker, Shawn Rice and many others....they all said the same thing....the only time to fold KK preflop is NEVER!Okay, the folding the top fullhouse because you think someone has quads was the dumbest post I've seen in months. If you're worried about losing $85 in a 1/2 game, you don't need to play 1/2, it's to big for you.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed this "fad" recently on a lot of the boards.  Laying down big hands is now the cool thing to do.  Folding KK preflop?  Folding the top fullhouse on the flop?  Are you kidding me?Unless you see the other players cards, folding KK preflop is ALWAYS wrong mathmatically (unless it's a satelite situation).  You're about 22-1 to not run into AA, and even if you do, you will beat AA 20% of the time.  So I don't care what tell you have or the guy only reraises with aces bull people always claim.  If you're folding KK preflop, you're weak and will never beat a game badly if you're affraid to play that hand.I've asked every pro I've had a chance to talk to, just to see what they say(I don't need their justification, just wanted to see what they'd say).  I've asked Gus Hansen, Hoyt Corkins, Moneymaker, Shawn Rice and many others....they all said the same thing....the only time to fold KK preflop is NEVER!Okay, the folding the top fullhouse because you think someone has quads was the dumbest post I've seen in months.  If you're worried about losing $85 in a 1/2 game, you don't need to play 1/2, it's to big for you.
Inhale.....Exhale
I noticed this "fad" recently on a lot of the boards.  Laying down big hands is now the cool thing to do.  Folding KK preflop?  Folding the top fullhouse on the flop?  Are you kidding me?Unless you see the other players cards, folding KK preflop is ALWAYS wrong mathmatically (unless it's a satelite situation).  You're about 22-1 to not run into AA, and even if you do, you will beat AA 20% of the time.  So I don't care what tell you have or the guy only reraises with aces bull people always claim.  If you're folding KK preflop, you're weak and will never beat a game badly if you're affraid to play that hand.I've asked every pro I've had a chance to talk to, just to see what they say(I don't need their justification, just wanted to see what they'd say).  I've asked Gus Hansen, Hoyt Corkins, Moneymaker, Shawn Rice and many others....they all said the same thing....the only time to fold KK preflop is NEVER!Okay, the folding the top fullhouse because you think someone has quads was the dumbest post I've seen in months.  If you're worried about losing $85 in a 1/2 game, you don't need to play 1/2, it's to big for you.
Post of the week. I feel like I've been taking crazy pills. I can't believe the stuff I've been hearing lately on this forum about "big laydowns' bunch of hellmuth wanna bes..
I've folded KK preflop.Oh P.S. 22-1 is wrong., KK vs AA is very slim.just thought i'd help ya out

there are times and places for laying down kings and full houses. And those are when you are playing with someone you've played with 100's of hours, whom you know to be only a nut playing, mechanical sucker. Virtually no one fits this profile.

there are times and places for laying down kings and full houses.   And those are when you are playing with someone you've played with 100's of hours, whom you know to be only a nut playing, mechanical sucker.  Virtually no one fits this profile.
Nah, i laid them down in a NL cash game. I have yet to lay them down in tourneys, but i remember the 1 and only time, there was a few limpers then a raise. It came to me and i re-raised. One of the first limpers pushed all in. He had a big stack too, and had me covered. I was there for a while and had a nice stack size going myself.The original raiser called, and action was back to me.Obviously i figure KK is a monster, but the limp then re-raise all in by the first clown just screamed aces. so i folded and he turned over aces, and clown 2 had a marginal Ax suited. but was short stacked anyways.

I had a guy fold KK preflop to me in a $100 buy-in NL game. It really pissed me off. I actually knew that he folded a huge hand, too, either QQ or KK. I raised to $4 preflop with AA and keep in mind that I was raising a lot of hands so there is no reason for him to believe that I had AA. I was raising like 15 % of my hands at least. He raises to $20folded around to meI raise all-in for $150He has $150, too and he thinks and thinks and then folds.I say in chat: you are the only one that I know that will fold KKHe says in chat: what did you haveI say: I can't believe you folded KKThen he says: did you have AA ?It just bothered me.

Guest XXEddie

so.....this is how you would play KKyoure UTG+1 in 1/2 NL(200 max)You have 350, UTG has 400UTG raises to 8, you re-raise to 20, all fold, UTG re-raises up to 60, you re-raise to 150, UTG moves allin.....Youre calling in this spotgood luck to you

I had a guy fold KK preflop to me in a $100 buy-in NL game.   It really censored me off.   I actually knew that he folded a huge hand, too, either QQ or KK.    I raised to $4 preflop with AA and keep in mind that I was raising a lot of hands so there is no reason for him to believe that I had AA.    I was raising like 15 % of my hands at least.  He raises to $20folded around to meI raise all-in for $150He has $150, too and he thinks and thinks and then folds.I say in chat:   you are the only one that I know that will fold KKHe says in chat:  what did you haveI say:   I can't believe you folded KKThen he says:   did you have AA ?It just bothered me.
Well, he over bet the pot retardedly, and you still went over the top. I doublt you were reraising retardedly on %15 of your hands.
so.....this is how you would play KKyoure UTG+1 in 1/2 NL(200 max)You have 350, UTG has 400UTG raises to 8, you re-raise to 20, all fold, UTG re-raises up to 60, you re-raise to 150, UTG moves allin.....Youre calling in this spotgood luck to you
so thats how we always play that hand? cuuuz, I'm actually re-raising to about 35 -40 instead of 20.
so.....this is how you would play KKyoure UTG+1 in 1/2 NL(200 max)You have 350, UTG has 400UTG raises to 8, you re-raise to 20, all fold, UTG re-raises up to 60, you re-raise to 150, UTG moves allin.....Youre calling in this spotgood luck to you[/quote}Um... well, you've got 150 already in the pot, and you're calling 200 more into a 300 dollar pot. I think you're a scmuck to fold here. Though, you were a scmuck to re raise to 150

To the OP....I am on your side. Especially when you are talking 1/2nl.Though I did have the one time where it was ok this weekend. In Empire's Tournament Masters satellite 10 of 100 qualfy for freeroll. We were down to 11. A guy who had me covered raised, it came around to me and I told him might be first time ever but I am laying down KK.....He showed his weak ace and within the next 5 minutes I had qualified for a 50k freeroll. With only 60 entrants.So yeah, there are very very few times to lay down KK.Huskers20

I've folded KK preflop.
I never have, but got knocked out of 2 MTT's just before the final table in the last week, holding kings both times.Both times allin preflop, first time vs. 66 second vs. 77....Not in love with KK now, but surely won't start foldingthem preflop anyways.

if you were playing a REALLY REALLY deep stack NL cash game, then I could maybe see folding KK. If you had $4k in a 5/10 game and another player had at least that, then maybe you could argue not letting one pot whip you out. You'd have to think you're a much better player.Still though, not very often in that case and in a tournament, No chance I'm folding.

I folded quads on the flop because I knew someone was going to hit a backdoor full house draw. It was something about the way they were looking at their hand. I just knew my quad aces werent gfoing to hold up. And hey, I was right. They would have hit backdoor royal flush! LLOLZZ!(sw)

I've folded KK preflop.
I never have, but got knocked out of 2 MTT's just before the final table in the last week, holding kings both times.Both times allin preflop, first time vs. 66 second vs. 77....Not in love with KK now, but surely won't start foldingthem preflop anyways.
yep, its hard, I've never folded them in a Tourney either.My experience with folding them preflop really reminded of the gambler who planned to play for a set amount of time for a session, and started winning on a good run, so decides to keep playing.What i mean is, i play with the same mentality, and set my own guidelines. And I know i will see KK again, and I know eventually i'l see AA again.I didnt have a problem laying them down in that 1 spot

I have folded KK three times preflop....twice...it was an obvious fold...the other was a strategic fold to make the top three and win a seat in a tourney...The two times I folded KK straight up ...it was in an obvious situation....raise...re-raise....re-re-raise allin...and I am sitting there with KK.....all big stacks involved.....wtf do you think one of them has?as for fullhouses...I have folded plenty....never to fear of someone having quads...all obvious laydowns.....AA77J board....I hold a 7...guy is a tellbag...that type of thing.....The day I fold top fullhouse is the day I blow my brains out.raise...re-raise....and I got KK? I am allin god damn it...and too bad if one of those idiots has AA...i could care less.

What if you read that your opponent has aces and your right.

The two times I folded KK straight up ...it was in an obvious situation....raise...re-raise....re-re-raise allin...and I am sitting there with KK.....all big stacks involved.....wtf do you think one of them has?
What if you read that your opponent has aces and your right.
that is results based thinking...what if you think your opponent has aces and he then shows you 23 offsuit when you fold your Kings face up?