"swear" censor

ok, this swear censor is just absolutely ridiculous. i understand that DN has the right to ban swear words, like f---, sh--, etc. since it's his site and swearing is against his religion. but, i just made a post and had "rape" censored (proof: rape) and "nazi" censored (proof: nazi). what's next to be censored? "communism"? "islam"? "doodoopopsicles"??? what the hell is going on? i'm willing to bet that if the "naughty word censor" list were shown, there'd be cries of WTF-ness from FCP'ers all over.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who cares? most banned words can easily be substituted for cleaner words
I know this isn't quite the same as the "those who curse show their lack of vocabulary" argument, but it's close enough for me to jump on you.The Bard used words and phrases that were, in his day, shocking and vulgar. Censors are, for some, merely cutting down the lyrical and metephorical opportunity for wit, meaning, strengh of prose, and humor.That's all he's saying, just not as well.
I know this isn't quite the same as the "those who curse show their lack of vocabulary" argument, but it's close enough for me to jump on you.The Bard used words and phrases that were, in his day, shocking and vulgar. Censors are, for some, merely cutting down the lyrical and metephorical opportunity for wit, meaning, strengh of prose, and humor.That's all he's saying, just not as well.
shakespeare was not vulger for the sake of being vulger, which is what 99% of vulger words are used for on this forum
shakespeare was not vulger for the sake of being vulger, which is what 99% of vulger words are used for on this forum
Toby or not to be.....doodoopopsicles
1) principle2) it doesn't bother you that "rape" is banned? it's not even a bad word and is widely used throughout the press. also, wouldn't you think "kill", "murder", "homocide", "genocide", etc. is worse? "nazi" is also just a term referring to a group of people. if that word is banned, "ku klux klan" should be banned also.
or gotten around using the method that you seem to be aware of, lol what are you whining about
DN has explicitly said that he never liked the fact that people were bypassing the swear filter, and that he intends to enforce it. however, i'm pretty sure DN didn't create the word list himself, so i feel that it should be pointed out to him (and FCP members) that some words are idiotically banned.
1) principle2) it doesn't bother you that "rape" is banned? it's not even a bad word and is widely used throughout the press. also, wouldn't you think "kill", "murder", "homocide", "genocide", etc. is worse? "nazi" is also just a term referring to a group of people. if that word is banned, "ku klux klan" should be banned also.
or gotten around using the method that you seem to be aware of, lol what are you whining about
DN has explicitly said that he never liked the fact that people were bypassing the swear filter, and that he intends to enforce it. however, i'm pretty sure DN didn't create the word list himself, so i feel that it should be pointed out to him (and FCP members) that some words are idiotically banned.
homocide - the act of killing gay people? I'm confused.
Exactly!Going by your words there... I'd hate to read what you wrote about anyway.
http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...pic.php?t=36863
i understand that DN has the right to ban swear words, like f---, sh--, etc. since it's his site and swearing is against his religion.
what religion is daniel again?
daniel isn't a religion, genius.

I personally would love to - just once - see a complete list of all the words that are censored on FCP.

I personally would love to - just once - see a complete list of all the words that are censored on FCP.
censoredcensoredcensoredcensoredcensoredcensoredcensoredcensoredcensoredcensoredcensoredcensoredcensoredI think that's it
What about racist?What word can I use for that?
"you are one that believes that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race!!!"hmmm... i don't think that rolls off the tongue very well.
Exactly!Going by your words there... I'd hate to read what you wrote about anyway.
Why?? A person could be having a discussion about history or politics and use those words. They aren't profanity. They are words wtih unpleasant meanings, but legitamate words.

Gov: I'm in the media...a newspaper editor...and the very idea of censorship is anathema to what I do and who I am.DN wants a clean forum, fine. His house, his rules. But to censor words like rape, nazi and racist means he doesn't give credit to his users to be able to have an intelligent conversation. In context, none of those words is inherently vulgar.Are those words ever misused? Of course, but there are other ways to punish offenders rather than treating everyone in the forum like they're in Grade 2.Personally, i feel he could back off on the filters without compromising the wholesome nature of a poker forum. Posting primarily in the army thread, i'm not used to using SW, but I feel one is probably necessary on the preceeding paragraph.

Gov: I'm in the media...a newspaper editor...and the very idea of censorship is anathema to what I do and who I am.DN wants a clean forum, fine. His house, his rules. But to censor words like rape, nazi and racist means he doesn't give credit to his users to be able to have an intelligent conversation. In context, none of those words is inherently vulgar.Are those words ever misused? Of course, but there are other ways to punish offenders rather than treating everyone in the forum like they're in Grade 2.Personally, i feel he could back off on the filters without compromising the wholesome nature of a poker forum. Posting primarily in the army thread, i'm not used to using SW, but I feel one is probably necessary on the preceeding paragraph.
Bravo!! :clap:
well said.