buying a new book today (reco's?)

my house (in new orleans) still has no cable or internet so i been re-reading all my books alot. anyway i want to induge in a new one and i was thinking of getting Theory of Pokerright now i own: SSHE, HE for AP, Champioship omaha and some other story type poker books liek positively 5th street etc etc)is TOP mandatory even for a decent player? or any other reco's?

On Harrington's books, is there a lot of difference and why 1 vs. 2?Or is it like Super System 1 vs. 2, where it is a lot of the same w/ some updates.Was thinking of getting one of the DH books myself just wondering which one and why?ThanksHuskers20

On Harrington's books, is there a lot of difference and why 1 vs. 2?Or is it like Super System 1 vs. 2, where it is a lot of the same w/ some updates.Was thinking of getting one of the DH books myself just wondering which one and why?ThanksHuskers20
HOH1=Overview of situations of tournaments ranging from online sngs to major poker tournaments. Good read, gets you into the correct NL mindset. Explains things such as pot odds, reading the table, basic overviews of four different strategies of play.HOH2=The title "End Game" indicates it talks about closing tournaments out, however, I haven't read that purchased/read that book. Start with HOH1, then get HOH2.
They're nothing like SS1/SS2HOH1 is all about play when the stacks are reasonably deep compared to the blindsHOH2 is all about when the stacks aren't so deep as compared to the blinds.They're both vital, I think.

All of the suggestions are very good. But if you want to read some GREAT poker entertainment then read this:The Professor, The Banker and the Suicide King by Michael Craig.It is the true story of Andy Beal playng the corporation (the big pros) for millions of dollars. I haven't been able to put the book down.

All of the suggestions are very good. But if you want to read some GREAT poker entertainment then read this:The Professor, The Banker and the Suicide King by Michael Craig.It is the true story of Andy Beal playng the corporation (the big pros) for millions of dollars. I haven't been able to put the book down because it comes with a sticky residue of pizza cheese.
FYP. Happy Friday.

If you're looking for non strategy, I'd suggest One of a Kind. Strategy, TOP is well worth reading. If you're in the mood for non-poker, Crossing California or Middlesex are personal fav's.

Typically same answers as others TOP, HOH 1&2.I have most of Sklanky's and alot of it is pretty good. Other books I have are, TJ, Real Deal, Super System and Lee Jones book is OK too. Barry Greenstein's book I thought was average at best but many seem to give it a thumbs up.Keep in mind that many people do read HOH and play very similar to the book. Timely adjustments will help a great deal. I've actually learned how to re-steal much better in taking an opposite approach of what the of what the book says. Risky but fun.

All of the suggestions are very good. But if you want to read some GREAT poker entertainment then read this:The Professor, The Banker and the Suicide King by Michael Craig.It is the true story of Andy Beal playng the corporation (the big pros) for millions of dollars. I haven't been able to put the book down.
Another good one is Read 'em and Weep put together by James McManus/John Stravinsky.It's a series of essays about random poker stories and such. It's a great read. No strategies or anything in this one just true stories and interesting bs.

That's sounds cool, I'll definitely look for it.The best thing about both Harrington books is the hand examples in each chapter. Real situations from tournaments, where he walks you through a hand as he would play it and shows you the things you need to be considering at that stage in the tournamnent. And they don't always turn out the way you'd expect, just like the real thing. Really teaches you the NL thought process, which can apply to any game really. Similar to Sklansky's "Theory of Poker" in that respect. Harrington's third book is supposed full of these exercises. Can't wait.