a message for daniel

Not trying to be a kiss-ass or anything, but it seems like Daniel has been cold-decked for a while. I figured id create this thread to let him know that we are behind him. I figure maybe the encouragement would be a lil uplifting.Variance sucks, Danny! Keep your head up, We are Behind you!

He's getting drawn out on I agree, but some of the hands he described, he was flopping sets. To me, the definition of cold decked would be hitting nothing at all.That is all for now.

He's getting drawn out on I agree, but some of the hands he described, he was flopping sets. To me, the definition of cold decked would be hitting nothing at all.That is all for now.
Agreed. The turn and the river havent been very friendly to him. That gutshot that Mimi Tran caught is aweful.
I disagree - cold decked includes getting 2nd best hands or hands that get drawn out on. Ever heard of being dealt a "cooler"? That's a hand that you can't get away from and you lose.
Yeah, but someone hitting a flush against your set is hardly a cooler.

Not to be anal, but cold decked is being screwed by the deck. Say, you get K-K and you're up against A-A. Or you flop a set with 10-10 on a board of 10-J-Q and your opponent has A-K . The term is basically used to mean your good hands are being slapped in the face by the deck

You are confused on what the term 'cold deck' means. It refers to when you are getting good cards, hitting flops, but losing pots because your opponent has you beaten everytime. For instance, flopping top set vs nut straight, middle set vs top set, etc. The term refers to a time when someone would introduce a 'cold deck' into the game. A 'cold deck' was a deck that had been set up to guarantee action, but have one player come out a winner. Since the deck hadn't been played with recently, the cards would be cold.Patrick
You are confused on what the term 'cold deck' means. It refers to when you are getting good cards, hitting flops, but losing pots because your opponent has you beaten everytime. For instance, flopping top set vs nut straight, middle set vs top set, etc. The term refers to a time when someone would introduce a 'cold deck' into the game. A 'cold deck' was a deck that had been set up to guarantee action, but have one player come out a winner. Since the deck hadn't been played with recently, the cards would be cold.Patrick
LOL....see previous post

by definition, I know what a cooler is, but I'd only seen it used by Hellmuth on the Omaha final table when Williamson had the one hand that had him beat.I thought the cooler was the only hand that could beat you.It's rough going for him I agree.I think Daniel would agree with Hyman Roth (The Godfather movies) when he said "This, is the business we have chosen"

LOL....see previous post
Heh, that tends to happen here. If I ever could answer a question without rambling on and on, I might have beaten you to it. :-)Patrick
There are probably different levels of 'cold deck' but I don't classify hitting a set against someone hitting the nut straight as being one. Middle set vs top set, yes because you're basically screwed.I had a hand where I had AJ. Flop comes AQJ. Other dude has AQ.
There are probably different levels of 'cold deck' but I don't classify hitting a set against someone hitting the nut straight as being one. Middle set vs top set, yes because you're basically screwed.I had a hand where I had AJ. Flop comes AQJ. Other dude has AQ.
I'd be able to get away from top and bottom pair before I could top set on a ragged flop. You seem to be correlating it with your number of outs, which is not the case at all. Patrick

The term "cold deck" comes from situations where someone has been cheated....by the deck being manipulated into 2 more "big" hands coming out...and you're on the losing end with a monster. People use it, when NOT in a cheated situation....because these hands also just happen, without being set up....for instance that hand in the WSOP with Goldie Hawn's son. After that beat....a person might say something like "wow, I feel like I just got cold decked". Just getting bad cards is "card cold", not "cold decked". OK, after reading what I wrote, that was kinda a rambling semi-incoherent explanation, but I'm sure you get my drift.

The term "cold deck" comes from situations where someone has been cheated....by the deck being manipulated into 2 more "big" hands coming out...and you're on the losing end with a monster. People use it, when NOT in a cheated situation....because these hands also just happen, without being set up....for instance that hand in the WSOP with Goldie Hawn's son. After that beat....a person might say something like "wow, I feel like I just got cold decked". Just getting bad cards is "card cold", not "cold decked". OK, after reading what I wrote, that was kinda a rambling semi-incoherent explanation, but I'm sure you get my drift.
i do love a good drift....
I'd be able to get away from top and bottom pair before I could top set on a ragged flop. You seem to be correlating it with your number of outs, which is not the case at all. Patrick
I love how my motivational thread for Dan gets Hijacked by people arguing the true definition of a cooler.

Ron,You are a bit confused by the terminology. Getting "cold decked" is not a term used to describe a run of bad cards or unplayable hands. The above posters have given the correct meaning of that term. Also, "the cooler" is simply the noun version with the same meaning...a good hand that you really can't get away from...unfortunately it gets beaten. It doesn't neccesarily refer to the second best hand, slthough it often works out that way.Greg

Ron,You are a bit confused by the terminology. Getting "cold decked" is not a term used to describe a run of bad cards or unplayable hands. The above posters have given the correct meaning of that term. Also, "the cooler" is simply the noun version with the same meaning...a good hand that you really can't get away from...unfortunately it gets beaten. It doesn't neccesarily refer to the second best hand, slthough it often works out that way.Greg
I SAID I GOT IT. GET OFF MY ASS, MAN.j/k.I took PMJacks explanation as the gospel. Not b/c he final tabled a major event, but because we used to "date"
Not trying to be a kiss-ass or anything, but it seems like Daniel has been cold-decked for a while. I figured id create this thread to let him know that we are behind him. I figure maybe the encouragement would be a lil uplifting.Variance sucks, Danny! Keep your head up, We are Behind you!
Um, can we get off the cold-decked argument and return to the point of this thread.DN doesn't need to see a thread meant for him deteriorate into the shit every other thread does.Keep going Daniel. Remember, no matter how badly the cards are treating you, stay positive and remember that you're playing well.Mike
Um, can we get off the cold-decked argument and return to the point of this thread.DN doesn't need to see a thread meant for him deteriorate into the shit every other thread does.Keep going Daniel. Remember, no matter how badly the cards are treating you, stay positive and remember that you're playing well.Mike
At last someone posts something positive.
I SAID I GOT IT. GET OFF MY ASS, MAN.j/k.I took PMJacks explanation as the gospel. Not b/c he final tabled a major event, but because we used to "date"
Yeah, it's better you put 'date' in quotations, because we both know it was just drunken debauchery. I still have the scars to remind me of you however.Patrick
by definition, I know what a cooler is, but I'd only seen it used by Hellmuth on the Omaha final table when Williamson had the one hand that had him beat.I thought the cooler was the only hand that could beat you.It's rough going for him I agree.I think Daniel would agree with Hyman Roth (The Godfather movies) when he said "This, is the business we have chosen"
They shot Moe Green in the eyeball. Nice.
I am confused? Isnt William H Macy "The Cooler"?alec_baldwin2.jpg

...I love lamp...now ya know...Ride it out Daniel, you're still my hero...you've gotta get through this, so when I'm sitting home, all alone, in my brother's underwear, with a bag of doritos taco flavored, with a container of salsa con queso, and a 2 liter of coca cola, with the lights turned down low, and the ceiling fan blowing a cool breeze over me, watching poker on TV, I will know that there are other things that are right in the world, now I'm not just talking about a 400 lb. man sitting in a recliner with dorito crumbs all over his nearly naked body, streaks in his underwear, cheese sause on his fingers, and a tear in his eye, but the fact that things will even out, and there is still hope for all of us out there, if we can just keep it together and get through it... and I'm all alone...I'm so alone...LOVE ME DANIEL!...ok that was a very akward moment for me, but i won't change a word of it i tell you!...now ya know....