sheryl swoops comes out

Guest XXEddie

Guest XXEddie

Can someone tell me what the fuck is so significant about thisits like the mian headline in every sports show like, sportscenter, around the horn and PTIshe's gay.....ok........lets move on

i thought that was a given in the WNBA...haha, ok someone had to do the lesbian joke. Seriously? i think it's only because she's the most notable name in the game. If she had cancer, it would be just as big. Well cance is a serious thing, but i think you get what im saying.

It's a big deal because she's considered by most the greatest player in the history of the WNBA.It's a big deal because she wants to be able to go out on the town with her girlfriend as opposed to keeping a low private profile.It's a big deal because whenever a retired male player comes out as gay, the media polls locker rooms around the country and always finds that most players would NOT be okay with a gay teammate.It's a big deal because the religious right is on a mission to put an end to homosexuality and continues to deny rights to gay and lesbian couples. The more high profile, accomplished homosexuals that come out of the closet and let the world know, "Hey, I'm gay, I'm normal, and I'm successful," the more accepted homosexuality will be in the general public.It's a big deal because it brings to the forefront issues that NOBODY wants to address including, but not exclusively, the hypocritical stance that lesbianism is okay but male homosexuality is not.Does that answer your question?

I would say its not a big deal because nobody gives a crap about the WNBA anyways. I read how 2 players other than Swoops have already "come out" like a year or two ago and still no one cared. That league will go out of business in less than 5 years.

I would say its not a big deal because nobody gives a crap about the WNBA anyways.  I read how 2 players other than Swoops have already "come out" like a year or two ago and still no one cared.  That league will go out of business in less than 5 years.
To burst your bubble, millions of people care about the WNBA. Just because you don't (and I don't) doesn't mean it's unpopular. She also played NCAA basketball which is pretty big.
I did not even know who she was until I read this thread.
Seriously? She's the only one that I've ever heard of. And I heard a lot about her before this.Side note - I'm at the top of my game tonight. But, I think I'm gonna go to bed. I'll respond to all the flames tomorrow afternoon (when I wake up......suckers :club:).
I did not even know who she was until I read this thread.
Seriously? She's the only one that I've ever heard of. And I heard a lot about her before this.Side note - I'm at the top of my game tonight. But, I think I'm gonna go to bed. I'll respond to all the flames tomorrow afternoon (when I wake up......suckers :club:).
Seriously. I'm very much "a girl" when it comes to following professional sports. heh

The ratings and attendence of the WNBA have been falling for a while now. Trust me,if the NBA wasnt backing this thing, they wouldve folded already. The only reason ESPN gives them any coverage is only because of deals with the NBA.

What I found hilarious is what she said about coming out.

"Male athletes of my caliber probably feel like they have a lot more to lose than gain [by coming out]. I don't agree with that. To me, the most important thing is happiness."
Most untrue statement ever. The WNBA is a sub par sports league with a very small following in the country, with no signs of growing in popularity in the near future.If someone of equal importance to a male sports league, say Tim Duncan or Kobe, or someone like Manning (NFL) or Pujols (MLB), came out and said they were gay, it would be MUCH harder on them and they would have lots more to lose.
I would say its not a big deal because nobody gives a crap about the WNBA anyways. I read how 2 players other than Swoops have already "come out" like a year or two ago and still no one cared. That league will go out of business in less than 5 years.
To burst your bubble, millions of people care about the WNBA. Just because you don't (and I don't) doesn't mean it's unpopular. She also played NCAA basketball which is pretty big.
Millions? I would say closer to dozens than millions

Just for everyone to know:Average attendance to a WNBA game < 9000Viewers per season = 50 million (overall for the entire season)By comparison, NBA attendance per game is over 17,000. And the total viewers per year is much higher than the WNBA.Mind you, all this is considering the fact that the NBA is the 3rd biggest sports franchise in the country, coming behind the NFL and MLB by a large gap.

I do not like basketball.I find it boring. People will take offence to this because it is such a "fast" sport, but that, I think, is why I find it so boring. They should make it a contact sport. Everytime a basketball player gets accidently touched as someone goes by they act as if they were sucker punched. It makes me want to make them watch some really big hockey checks, and then tell them that the ref didn't even blow the whistle, the player is expected to get up as if nothing happened. They should also allow goaltending, this would make getting a basket actually mean something. Getting a point in basketball is like saying a tennis player returned the ball, it happens so often that it is hardly worth mentioning.I used to watch basketball with my friends in university, and they would get so excited about a team scoring a basket. I just said: "Wait for about 20 seconds and it will happen again"Maybe I just don't get it. Hockey is by far superior, even if it does appeal to less people.

"Male athletes of my caliber probably feel like they have a lot more to lose than gain [by coming out]. I don't agree with that. To me, the most important thing is happiness."
Most untrue statement ever. The WNBA is a sub par sports league with a very small following in the country, with no signs of growing in popularity in the near future.If someone of equal importance to a male sports league, say Tim Duncan or Kobe, or someone like Manning (NFL) or Pujols (MLB), came out and said they were gay, it would be MUCH harder on them and they would have lots more to lose.
I see you watched Rome is Burning yesterday. Congrats.Everyone else - This isn't about how much basketball sucks. Sheryl Swoopes has endorsement deals and is the best player ever in the WNBA, she stood to lose a lot if anyone judged her on it and took away her deals because of this.And please don't speak out of ignornace when you're talking about the number of fans the WNBA has - it IS millions.
I see you watched Rome is Burning yesterday. Congrats.Everyone else - This isn't about how much basketball sucks. Sheryl Swoopes has endorsement deals and is the best player ever in the WNBA, she stood to lose a lot if anyone judged her on it and took away her deals because of this.And please don't speak out of ignornace when you're talking about the number of fans the WNBA has - it IS millions.
So are you saying my statement is inaccurate?I don't watch Rome, I don't even know when he is on TV.Yes the WNBA has millions of fans. So did the WUSA, and they went under. There are close to 300 million people in the US, so the fan base for the WNBA is comparitively small.I'm sorry Custom, but talk to ANYONE who knows anything about sports in America, and they would agree that womens sports, including the WNBA, are always going to be second to almost any men's sports. Don't talk about endorsement deals, most professional athletes have them. The fact is that even the best WNBA player is hardly known to the American public. The fact is that they will always be a second class sport when compared to men. And it is a fact that if a man with as much influence in his sport as she has in hers, came out and said he was gay, it would be infinately harder for him. Her statement was stupid and ignorant because you can hardly compare her life to that of a household icon like Shaq or Peyton.

I'm not saying the statement is accurate - on the contrary, I agree with the critique of that statement. However, if that's the only party you're focusing on, you're focusing on the wrong part. I'm agreeing that a male athlete has a lot more to lose. But, to say this means nothing, means very little or is "no big deal" is ridiculous.She's well known to any person who has knowledge of sports in America. If she's unknown to you, that's because you're ignorant of sports. While women's sports (aside from tennis) are second in popularity to their male counterparts, they're not obsolete. There ARE millions of fans and even the casual fan knows Sheryl Swoopes. If you didn't know anything about her before this announcement, you are NOT a sports fan - you're a casual observer. It's that simple.

Guest XXEddie
whats the WNBA?...never heard of it.The NBA doesn't even get much press here in Pittsburgh...so how much do you think the WNBA gets.
why should the NBA get press in Pittsburgyou have no team
i thought that was a given in the WNBA...haha, ok someone had to do the lesbian joke. Seriously? i think it's only because she's the most notable name in the game. If she had cancer, it would be just as big. Well cance is a serious thing, but i think you get what im saying.
Therefore....Being gay, is just as bad as having cancer. :club:
Now if WNBA players looked and dressed like that, then maybe the league would have a chance.
You know, I've got a pretty high tolerance level for stupidity and ignorance. I like to educate people rather than just write them off. (Read my posts you'll see it's true.) And even at my level of tolerance this is just about the most sexist thing I've ever heard.Congratulations. You must be so proud.
Now if WNBA players looked and dressed like that, then maybe the league would have a chance.
You know, I've got a pretty high tolerance level for stupidity and ignorance. I like to educate people rather than just write them off. (Read my posts you'll see it's true.) And even at my level of tolerance this is just about the most sexist thing I've ever heard.Congratulations. You must be so proud.
I apologize for stating an obvious fact.