quiz question #11

Well, in middile posistion in a pre-flop raise 3 1/2 times the blind, I start thinking AK,QQ,AA, KK,A10s,KQs, AJs or a meduim poket Pair TT,99. The raise on the flop seemed almost like an aggresive continuation/ probe bet. I would put him on QQ. Now the tourney is on level 5, so most of the loose people are gone so you can more than likely count random hands out. You have posistion on him, it would seem odd for him to check the river to get a check raise out of you. But with no info on the player I would have to check to avoid any possiable traps by the player, and use the info from that hand for the future. It also depends on what site your playing on :club: . Also depends on your table image too. and what you think he thinks what you have. In my mind the oppenent thinks its a split and is gonna call you any ways unless you go all in. betting a grand your giving him almost 3-1 which isnt enuf to call, but from experince alot of players will call with 3-1. So All in or check, I might move all in, you will still have about a grand left its not that bad. In my opinion its gonna be a split why not try and get it all thats my read maybe im wrong. I don't know but we will find out
If you bet $1000 he is not getting 3 to 1; because he is winning only half of the pot; so he is calling 1000 to win 975.
There is already 2 grand in the pot plust another grand =3, so its costing him 1 to win 3? how do u figure
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I check- this is not a spot I want to go broke and there are too many hands that he could possibly be holding that beat me- he called raises, it's not like he is in the hand with nothing and IF it was a draw to start with, there is a good chance he hit his draw because cards that he could be drawing to, well, they are there. He is not folding to a raise and there is a good chance that I am beat. I check.

Ok, so it's been a while since the last quizz question, but as you can tell I haven't been playing much. Well today I played in an online no limit tournament when the following hand came down:Blinds: 50-100Stage: Level 5 One player limped for 100, a middle position player made it 350, and I called on the button with 7 7. The flop came J J J and the pre-flop raiser bet 500. I had about 2500 left and my opponent had about 1700 left after betting the 500. I called the bet leaving myself with 2000. The turn came a King and my opponent checked, as did I. The river came another King for a final board of J J J K K, meaning that I was now playing the board. My opponent checked the river, so with 1950 in the pot what would you do?I believe the optimul play is moving all in. Since Daniel never took the lead by raising at any point in the hand, if his opponent were trapping he probably would not excpect Daniel to raise on the end. That being said why would the original raiser check four jacks or a king knowing that it is unlikely to induce a bet. Moving in gives Daniel a chance to nearly double his chips and seems like a fairly safe chance to take. You have to take chances to win and this is a chance that I believe two legends named Doyle Brunson and Mike Sexton would applaud wholeheartedly. Think about the hands his opponent probably holds QQ, 1010, 99 etc. None of them can call with their tournament life on the line. Imagine being the guy who called Scotty Ngyen the year he won the main event at the World Series, saying " I call, I play the board" only to be dismayed when Scotty turned over the bigger full house. You just don't want to be the caller in these types of situations. You have to tip your hat, grind your teeth and say nice hand to the bettor. And if you are beat, then maybe I'm wrong but I think that the right play here is to be the aggressor and try to win a juicy pot that turns you from a short stack to a force to be reckoned with.

I would move all in. Chances are it is a split pot, but if you can try to steal it, I would try to steal it. My move would also depend on how tight/loose the player had been playing thus far. Chances are he doesn't have a J or K, or he would have bet the turn and river, or at least on the river. He would need pocket aces, a king or a jack to beat you, and I just couldn't put him on either of those checking the river in front of DN when DN had just called the preflop and flop bet. It is kinda obvious that DN put this poll up here for a reason, so I am thinking the guy had A K and DN lost his stack. Let us know DN....

• 2 weeks later...

the one thing we dont know is if the opponent knows how DN plays or has seen him at least bluff at a pot. if that is the case and best bet would be check and probly split the pot. i think i would set about half of his stack and make him make a decision for a good portion of his chips. half his stack would appear to be a value bet and if he did come over the top DN still has chips to play with to release the hand. i like to follow the rule of 2 checks to me and i'll bet. and him leading out on the flop tells me he does not have the jack and with a standard raise preflop AA i think might be out of the question. if he has something like KQ it makes him wonder if DN had the jack. so i make him decide to play for half his stack.

i think this is the sort of hand that dn's style of play is really well suited to. when you know it's going to be a chop you bet aggresively. betting 1000 is definately not the right play because if he plays back over you the decision is going to be difficult. when it's obvious you have the same hand you need to be agressive. all the talk about fearing that he has a K or a J is not the kind of thinking that wins poker tournaments (in my opinion). the kind of thinking that wins poker tournments are hand and situation specific. i think it's pretty obvious our opponent has AQ or QQ. this comes from pure instinct when reading the hand. my instincts aren't always right but trusting them is winning play.

I think you need to be betting here.The raisers flop bet is most likely a continuation bet...in all likelihood, with that board, he has become extremely nervous and suspicous that you called his bet.From villain's perspective, he's probably scared shitless that you called pf with AJ.From MP, he could have a lot of holdings, more than the AK, KQ, AJ that people are limiting him to.hands like 88, 99, TT are all possibilities...Ax suited...AQ, AT.I doubt he leads the flop with a Jack.I doubt he checks the river with a King or Jack...he wouldn't want to lose a bet, and to check he'd have to be dead certain you'd bet at this pot.I don't think you're behind here...he's probably got a pocket pair too, and may even have the other 7's.When you called his flop bet he put you on a pocket pair, a Jack, or two overs, like AK, KQ, etc...in other words, after the turn, villain thinks he's beat.I think you gotta push here - some people (and with good reason) believe a big bet looks suspicious and will get called - yes, that does happen...in my experience, what happens more often is a guy will auto-call if he knows he won't be eliminated...it's a security blanket...take that security blanket away and make him make a decision for all his chips.Mathematically, less than 10% of the time you're beat. So 10% of the time you lose 1700. So, to win the extra 975, you need him to fold 20% of the times you are not behind. I think this is possible....when you factor practicality over probability, I think, practically, you are beat less than 1% of the time.

• 1 month later...

Check.He could have a number of hands that can beat you, but will call if he thinks he is splitting. You run the risk of getting called with a better hand. My opponent checked the river, so with 1950 in the pot what would you do?(You know nothing about your opponent at all)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok, so it's been a while since the last quizz question, but as you can tell I haven't been playing much.  Well today I played in an online no limit tournament when the following hand came down:Blinds: 50-100Stage: Level 5  One player limped for 100, a middle position player made it 350, and I called on the button with 7 7.  The flop came J J J and the pre-flop raiser bet 500.  I had about 2500 left and my opponent had about 1700 left after betting the 500.  I called the bet leaving myself with 2000.  The turn came a King and my opponent checked, as did I.  The river came another King for a final board of J J J K K, meaning that I was now playing the board.  My opponent checked the river, so with 1950 in the pot what would you do?(You know nothing about your opponent at all)
I think it is a check because, the only hand you could have would be AA a K and a Q, you didn't represent the King on the turn and he could have you beat if you go all in, and he could have AA or a King or a Queen, which are all reasonable hands to check.
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm suprised no one has said fold. We only have a full house, seven kicker. We gotta let this one go. :roll: I am usually just checking here. You're check on the turn will probably induce your opponent to call with anything. Since betting rarely gains anything, just check.
FULL HOUSE, SEVEN KICKER ??????????????????????????????????????????I say push, he doesn't have a J or a K or AA

all in. He would of bet either the king or jack.

• 3 weeks later...

Theres no reason for him to check the river. If he had a AK he would value bet the river thinking you might be playing the board (which you are). Checking tells me he raised with a hand similar to daniels, maybe 9-9. Daniels best play here is to push & see if his opponent forgets the board is the best hand. Some people will fold to a all-in push, its the only way to take down this pot, even if he calls with his 9-9 its a split pot & no harm done but atleast a stab is taken.

I bet here ...I would suspect from middle position he had a good hand to start. When he checked the King it would lead me to guess he had QQ to start which is why he bet the flop and the King beat him so he checks the turn. When he checks the river he's still convinced he's beat so I would take a stab at it ... if he has the Jack or King so be it. If he has QQ you might take this one away so I would make it a pot-sized bet and see what happens.Matt

i think this is an easy check.Theres no need to risk all of your chips or even 1k of your chips on what is essentially a guess(particularly in tournament play). I do believe that this is likely a chop but never the less, it's difficult to be sure against an opponent that you don't have too much information on. He could be a very crafty player who is trapping you. Or he could be a weak player, who you won't get too fold even if he holds a hand like 99,1010,JJ anyway. So just play it safe and check. Think of how proud of yourself you would be if he turns over AK,KK,KQ and it's not the end of the world if he turns over AQ or JJ because you still split.

As much as I want to say check (and i do think it is the correct play most of the time), the opportunites in tournaments to get chips are slim and none, so sometimes when opoortunities arise, you must try to pounce on them. This could be one of those cases.If the villian is holding a smaller PP or A high in this situation, and you check it down and see that he does, you'd be kicking yourself for not jamming because you would have missed the opportunity to try to eat that pot right there and steal a 1950 pot. If you go all-in, would he have the balls to call? Like Doyle says, you want to put your opponent into making a decision for all of his chips. I say in "playing the board" situations like this one, you'd like to be first to bet on the river so you try to win the pot that is 95% of the time split. You'd be amazed at how many times I have jammed on the river in a obvious split pot situation and the opponent didn't even call for an obvious chopped pot.The danger is of course that he has quad jacks, Kings full, or AA. But wouldn't he bet the river if he did, however?

Announcements