slow playing pockets pre-flop

I was at the 4-8 table last night and held A 10o in BB and checked in the dark with 4 other players seeing the flop. The flop is K J 2 rainbow and it is checked all around. Turn is a 2 and the SB checks and I bet out trying to represent the duece and the player under gun is the only caller. Turn is a Q giving me the straight and I bet out and was raised. I called the raise and the other players flips over QQ for the boat. Do you think it is right to limp in with a decent pair like QQ under the gun? Sure, he probably wants more callers in the pot but at the same time I would want to protect my hand and get the weaker hands out. I see no point in slow playing any pre-flop.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the 4-8 table last night and held A 10o in BB and checked in the dark with 4 other players seeing the flop. The flop is K J 2 rainbow and it is checked all around. Turn is a 2 and the SB checks and I bet out trying to represent the duece and the player under gun is the only caller. Turn is a Q giving me the straight and I bet out and was raised. I called the raise and the other players flips over QQ for the boat. Do you think it is right to limp in with a decent pair like QQ under the gun? Sure, he probably wants more callers in the pot but at the same time I would want to protect my hand and get the weaker hands out. I see no point in slow playing any pre-flop.
SLOWPLAYING WORKED FOR HIM, DIDN'T IT!!! HAHAHA, HE IS CLEARLY BETTER THAN YOU. WHICHEVER PLAY WORKS IS ALWAYS THE RIGHT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!seriously though, just kidding, yeah, you are right, his play was horrible at best, don't worry about donks like him. They do not like money.
I was at the 4-8 table last night and held A 10o in BB and checked in the dark with 4 other players seeing the flop. .
Its as correct a play as checking in the dark with 4 limpers.wtf?
I was in the process of moving my chips from another table and the dealer posted my blind and when I got back to the table they told me I had a hand and just checked before I sat down.
I was at the 4-8 table last night and held A 10o in BB and checked in the dark with 4 other players seeing the flop. .
Its as correct a play as checking in the dark with 4 limpers.wtf?
I was in the process of moving my chips from another table and the dealer posted my blind and when I got back to the table they told me I had a hand and just checked before I sat down.
i see., where do you play that they would post your blind when you arent at the table?

I sat at a NL table today that I felt was loose, and I was getting crap for hands when, AA in late position after 3 limpers so I raise 6 x bb and everybody folds. Very next hand, same thing only with 2 limpers. I raise 4 x bb and AGAIN they all fold. Cowards. First time I have had bullets back to back.I wasn't too upset because I was on Stars and would have got rivered anyways.

There are plenty of situations where slow playing a decent pair preflop is better than raising. Assume it was the same situation with a live 8. Raising a pair pre flop will give people better odds to chase any sort of draw on you all the way through.

There are plenty of situations where slow playing a decent pair preflop is better than raising.
No.
Assume it was the same situation with a live 8. Raising a pair pre flop will give people better odds to chase any sort of draw on you all the way through.
You know the flop before it being dealt ? Tritz ? Is that you ? Raising preflop prevents most weak draws to entering the pot. Especially when you raise from UTG.But there is worse, yesterday (on party, where else), I get JJ on the button. UTG limps, 1 call, I raise, SB & BB fold, UTG RERAISE. I cap.Flop xxJ, cap, turn x cap, river A. I cry, AA being the only hand i had ever seen limp raised preflop, and just call his bet. He shows QQ and I get the pot.
You know the flop before it being dealt ? Tritz ? Is that you ?Raising preflop prevents most weak draws to entering the pot. Especially when you raise from UTG.But there is worse, yesterday (on party, where else), I get JJ on the button. UTG limps, 1 call, I raise, SB & BB fold, UTG RERAISE. I cap.Flop xxJ, cap, turn x cap, river A.I cry, AA being the only hand i had ever seen limp raised preflop, and just call his bet.He shows QQ and I get the pot.
Maybe that's not the case for the .50-1 you play on party because there is no strategy there. Jamming decent pairs is not always correct pre flop. This should be obvious because it is clearly way too broad to always to jam. By the same reasoning I also don't think you should always jam AA pre flop. There is no hand that has only one way to play pre flop, everything is too situational.
dont call anything "pockets" , as it makes you sound like a tard.
Agreed. That and these terms donkify you.1. "chasers"(referring to peeling w/o odds)2. starters (referring to starting hands.)3. Always referring to AK as "slick"4. Contantly referring to starting hands by their nickname e.g. QQ (Hilton sisters) or "I got Rockets, etc."
You know the flop before it being dealt ? Tritz ? Is that you ?Raising preflop prevents most weak draws to entering the pot. Especially when you raise from UTG.But there is worse, yesterday (on party, where else), I get JJ on the button. UTG limps, 1 call, I raise, SB & BB fold, UTG RERAISE. I cap.Flop xxJ, cap, turn x cap, river A.I cry, AA being the only hand i had ever seen limp raised preflop, and just call his bet.He shows QQ and I get the pot.
Maybe that's not the case for the .50-1 you play on party because there is no strategy there. Jamming decent pairs is not always correct pre flop. This should be obvious because it is clearly way too broad to always to jam. By the same reasoning I also don't think you should always jam AA pre flop. There is no hand that has only one way to play pre flop, everything is too situational.
This is the stupidest post in history. Please take remedial math before posting any strategy on limit H'em.
Limping under tthe gun with a big pair is something I will only do at a table I am a 100% sure that I will be raised, so I can reraise. They might not raise me, but I like to take that chance sometimes. The only reason you want to criticize the play is you got beat. The other player got lucky and made his hand, but no more lucky than you did to make a hand as well. Incidentally, he could have limped with K-K, J-J or 2-2 as well. When a player who limps in wakes up when the board has paired I have to at least give it a thought taht he might have the full house. It happens.
brian67 wrote:Quote:You know the flop before it being dealt ? Tritz ? Is that you ?Raising preflop prevents most weak draws to entering the pot. Especially when you raise from UTG.But there is worse, yesterday (on party, where else), I get JJ on the button. UTG limps, 1 call, I raise, SB & BB fold, UTG RERAISE. I cap.Flop xxJ, cap, turn x cap, river A.I cry, AA being the only hand i had ever seen limp raised preflop, and just call his bet.He shows QQ and I get the pot.Maybe that's not the case for the .50-1 you play on party because there is no strategy there. Jamming decent pairs is not always correct pre flop. This should be obvious because it is clearly way too broad to always to jam. By the same reasoning I also don't think you should always jam AA pre flop. There is no hand that has only one way to play pre flop, everything is too situational.This is the stupidest post in history. Please take remedial math before posting any strategy on limit H'em.
Yeah you're right, it's never correct to just call with any pair pre flop, never under any circumstances.