beatles overrated???

This poll is not about the Beatles importance or significance in music, that is undeniable. This poll is ONLY about how good their music is. I am tired of people talking about how they love the beatles and how they are the best, yet they don't actually own any of their albums or don't even listen to them at all....so please answer this honestly..do you like their music?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This poll is not about the Beatles importance or significance in music, that is undeniable. This poll is ONLY about how good their music is. I am tired of people talking about how they love the beatles and how they are the best, yet they don't actually own any of their albums or don't even listen to them at all....so please answer this honestly..do you like their music?
The thread name and the poll are different questions. I like the Beatles a lot and tey are one of my favorite bands, but I do think they are overrated. Still an excellent band though.
I was listening to Revolver yesterday. "For No One" is one of my favorites.
"i'm only sleeping" is my favorite off revolver
Also good stuff."Everybody seems to think I'm lazyI don't mind, I think they're crazyRunning everywhere at such a speedTill they find, there's no need"

The Beatles were and unbelievable band with 2 of the greatest songwriters in the history of Rock N Roll. I believe there contributions to the evolving of Rock Music is unparalleled. Starting w/ Rubber Soul in 65 they wrote some of the greatest albums ever. My favs are:Rubber SoulRevolverSgt PeppersWhite AlbumYellow SubmarineAbbey Road

KowboyKoop, it is obvious that you learned how to use the poll feature. I don't know if you are in college , but if you are (or when you do) and if you get the opportunity to take a class on the history of rock 'n roll, I would highly recommend it. I took a class on `60s rock, great class. They are easily one of my favorite bands....My favorite Beatles albums, in order:1) Rubber Soul2) Revolver3) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band4) The White Album5) Magical Mystery Tour6) Abbey Road7) Help!8) Let it Be

I named my first born son Lennon McCarthy. Yeah, I like the Beatles. And I have listened to all of their music, even some of it backwards. Favourite song from Revolver: Tomorrow Never Knows#9 #9 #9 #9 #9

I love having discussions with people who argue that The Beatles are overrated.  It usually ends fairly quickly.  I say, "You are a musical idiot," and walk away.
2nd.Anybody who believes the Beatles are overrated is not a person I can have an intelligent discussion with.Lennon and McCartney. How can you even begin to argue against that?Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, and I say it's all right It's all right
I love having discussions with people who argue that The Beatles are overrated.  It usually ends fairly quickly.  I say, "You are a musical idiot," and walk away.
2nd.Anybody who believes the Beatles are overrated is not a person I can have an intelligent discussion with.Lennon and McCartney. How can you even begin to argue against that?Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, and I say it's all right It's all right
Yeah! And that's a Harrison song! George was the fucking man, too! All Things Must Pass is the best post-Beatles album. 3 absurdly talented songwriters. There is no other band that's even close in terms of songwriting ability or record-making ability.
I love having discussions with people who argue that The Beatles are overrated. It usually ends fairly quickly. I say, "You are a musical idiot," and walk away.
So basically, you are saying that because I don't have the opinion that a lot of others do, then I am inferior for it??? You are saying that because I personally don't like the Beatles music and therefore think they are overrated, that I know less about rock 'n' roll or music then you!?!?!? Wow, this doesn't seem very right. There was another man who, as a history major, I read about alot who also though this way about art...his name was Adolf. I am in no way comparing you to Adolf, that would be ridiculous, but I am saying that you shouldn't say I am an idiot because my taste in music is different than yours. I already said I respect what they did in terms of cultural significance, I just don't like their music that much, that's all.
You are saying that because I personally don't like the Beatles music and therefore think they are overrated, that I know less about rock 'n' roll or music then you!?!?!?
Actually there is some justification to mk's statement there. If you have ever studied rock 'n roll in the past, and saw how far-reaching their influence was, and how much they have influenced most bands that have come after it, you wouldn't be able to call them overrated. Instead, you would call the rate at which they made music and how much they absolutely dominated the music scene when they were out, how every album they put out influenced albums by other artists that came out in the same time period (look no further than Sgt. Pepper's or White Album), then you would have to say that their career is quite astonishing. I can't get over how fast they released albums and how many singles dominated the charts in an era with so much amazing music. To call them overrated in any form really makes no sense.

how can it not make sense!!??!?!?! I don't like their music, personally, so I don't think they are the greatest band of all time like everyone else does...I have already said that I respect and understand their significance to music, that is a given, but that doesn't mean they aren't overrated. Everyone thinks they were the greatest band of all-time, I do not think so, so I think they are overrated....not too hard to understand to me, but maybe I am being too complex or something???

how can it not make sense!!??!?!?! I don't like their music, personally, so I don't think they are the greatest band of all time like everyone else does...I have already said that I respect and understand their significance to music, that is a given, but that doesn't mean they aren't overrated. Everyone thinks they were the greatest band of all-time, I do not think so, so I think they are overrated....not too hard to understand to me, but maybe I am being too complex or something???
I understand you, that is just your opinion. I dont have a problem with it at all. I dont think the Beatles were the greatest band ever, but I will say they are responsible for influencing 99% of Rock N Roll bands since there inception. As for overrated, I feel they are underrated as songwriters, if you can believe that. Just a question, how old are you?
I understand you, that is just your opinion. I dont have a problem with it at all. I dont think the Beatles were the greatest band ever, but I will say they are responsible for influencing 99% of Rock N Roll bands since there inception. As for overrated, I feel they are underrated as songwriters, if you can believe that. Just a question, how old are you?
time for me to trot out my background again. FOr those that don't know, I used to be a jazz musician, and have basically lived for music and film my entire 25 years on this earth. I have studied many different styles of music, some more then others, but pretty much have a background in almost every popular style up through the mid 90s. I can say with almost full security that to make the statement that they are overrated is extremely short sighted and ignores their impact on both music and society. If the Beatles are over rated then so is Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, the Who, Black Sababth, and Led Zeppelin. Do you see how ridiculous that statement is looking now. THey also wrote many songs that are very simple and complex at the same time. I have transcribed about 1/3 of their entire catalouge and when I did that, I appreciated them even more when I saw how complex their chord structures were while making music that was popular and has held the test of time. This is very hard to do, as most songs that have very complex structures haven't done all that well in the popular realm and appeal to a sub section of music listeners

YOU GUYS ARE NOT READING MY POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SAY NOTHING ABOUT THEIR INFLUENCE ON ROCK N ROLL BEING OVERRATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I FULLY UNDERSTAND THEIR INFLUENCE ON ROCK N ROLL, I HAVE READ ABOUT IT AND UNDERSTAND IT COMPLETELY. IN THAT RESPECT, I ADMIRE THEM AND THEY ARE INCREDIBLE. HOWEVER, I AM TALKING ABOUT THEIR ACTUAL MUSIC. WHEN I LISTEN TO THEM, I DO NOT LIKE IT AS MUCH AS A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE I KNOW. THEY SAY IT IS THE GREATEST SOUNDING MUSIC EVER, I, HOWEVER, DISAGREE. I DO NOT LIKE THEIR MUSIC THAT MUCH, THEREFORE, TO ME, THEY ARE OVERRATED IN TERMS OF THEIR ACTUAL MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS ALL I AM SAYING, I DON'T SEE HOW YOU GUYS CAN GET ANYTHING ELSE FROM THIS AT ALL.....I KNOW THAT THEY ARE THE BIGGEST INFLUENCE ON ROCK N ROLL, PERIOD, I KNOW THAT AND UNDERSTAND THAT, I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THAT AT ALL, SERIOUSLY, WTF!?!?!?Also, I will be 21 in less than a month, however, I have been interested in older music for most of my life, and I have written many papers on the subject for my history classes, such as stuff on Dylan and Elvis Presely, so don't let my age be a factor, I know my stuff pretty well and I have the opinions I do for a reason.

YOU GUYS ARE NOT READING MY POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SAY NOTHING ABOUT THEIR INFLUENCE ON ROCK N ROLL BEING OVERRATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I FULLY UNDERSTAND THEIR INFLUENCE ON ROCK N ROLL, I HAVE READ ABOUT IT AND UNDERSTAND IT COMPLETELY. IN THAT RESPECT, I ADMIRE THEM AND THEY ARE INCREDIBLE. HOWEVER, I AM TALKING ABOUT THEIR ACTUAL MUSIC. WHEN I LISTEN TO THEM, I DO NOT LIKE IT AS MUCH AS A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE I KNOW. THEY SAY IT IS THE GREATEST SOUNDING MUSIC EVER, I, HOWEVER, DISAGREE. I DO NOT LIKE THEIR MUSIC THAT MUCH, THEREFORE, TO ME, THEY ARE OVERRATED IN TERMS OF THEIR ACTUAL MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS ALL I AM SAYING, I DON'T SEE HOW YOU GUYS CAN GET ANYTHING ELSE FROM THIS AT ALL.....I KNOW THAT THEY ARE THE BIGGEST INFLUENCE ON ROCK N ROLL, PERIOD, I KNOW THAT AND UNDERSTAND THAT, I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THAT AT ALL, SERIOUSLY, WTF!?!?!?Also, I will be 21 in less than a month, however, I have been interested in older music for most of my life, and I have written many papers on the subject for my history classes, such as stuff on Dylan and Elvis Presely, so don't let my age be a factor, I know my stuff pretty well and I have the opinions I do for a reason.
hi, thanks for reading my post explaining on why they aren't over rated when referring to their actual music. I don't let age be a factor, but I think that its pretty easy to say that I probably have much more indepth experience with music then most because of me actually playing at a high level, no amount of schooling or papers is gonna tell me differently. Unless your Matt Pinson, John Ephland, or Rob Schaeffer, I just don't see that happening
hi, thanks for reading my post explaining on why they aren't over rated when referring to their actual music. I don't let age be a factor, but I think that its pretty easy to say that I probably have much more indepth experience with music then most because of me actually playing at a high level, no amount of schooling or papers is gonna tell me differently. Unless your Matt Pinson, John Ephland, or Rob Schaeffer, I just don't see that happening
keith is really a member of the wiggles.