what would you do???? (ethics)

With all due respect, and I am not flaming you here, believe me, but that is BS.I didnt think that was the case. I think of it as a discussion, as I am sure you do, and not a argument.It isn't about civility. You play poker to win money period.I agreeNothing wrong with being civil, I certainly wouldn't act like Matusow does for example, and be a brash loud mouth. Or Hellmuth for that matter :wink: I assure you that you are in the minority of people that would play a live tourney, especially one with a huge prize pool, where you are H/U and don't take advantage of said situation.Taking advantage of said situtation is basically an angle shooter when playing live IMHO. However, if a player asked to go to the bathroom and you said NO, but they went anyway, then sure I could see taking advantage, but I just dont see this ever happening. Obviously if you agree to the bathroom break, then you probably wouldnt do this.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could go on and on I suppose, but I look at this simply.It is an advantage and you should be thankful as such.How many times have any of us had legitimate hands cracked by someone playing crap?Many times right, so here is a situation where while it is certainly not the same thing works in your favor.Kinda like reverse karma, getting a good hand cracked by "shouldn't be in the hand to begin with" crap, = bad Karma.Having someone time out while you are H/U, especially when you are short stacked = good karma, roll with it baby!We all have way more stories of bad luck then good. Take the good luck, while the getting is good.

For all those who say wait or don't take advantage. Live tourney, heads up, player A gets up to go to the restroom, you are playing heads up for $2M winner take all. Do you wait even though the rule is to fold the person if they are not in their seat? Do you stall just so he can get back into the game without you taking advantage of him/her?
I disagree with you here. If this was a live situation in front of an audience, you would come off as a MAJOR DIKHEAD.Yeah the money difference is nice, but being an unkown A-Hole in front of your computer is a big difference from doing this live.
Hey, hey get it right it is Majorleag Dikhead! Just kidding I know this time you weren't referring to me.That's BS nonsense, you are not in tournaments to look good on or off the camera, if any of us get so lucky.You are there to win MONEY, period.I am an equal opportunity asshole and don't care where!
Do you think a known pro would do this? I hope not. It's not about looking good in front of people its about civility IMHO. (referring to live play NOT internet)
I would hope that anyone calling themselves a poker player would go for the throat. I bet you're the type of guys who almost unknowingly soft play in live games becasue you're having a good time chatting with the guy next to you. I don't care if it was my mother sitting across from me, if her hand is supposed to be mucked then its getting mucked. We have a hard time with some people in our club games that say "just wait on me while I go to the bathroom" or "yeah, yeah, your cards touched mine, but I'm playing anyway" - this stuff doesn't fly. You know the rules when you sit down and you should be and expect everyone else to be there for the money and money only. If you can't hate everyone at the table and always want all their chips, you should find another game.

Socrates, when you say the type of guys, not sure who you are referring to, because I think Cody the original poster is the only one that seems to be kind hearted enough to wait.I have been unwavering in my responses.I am there to take as much money as I can period.No mercy, no regrets.

Socrates, when you say the type of guys, not sure who you are referring to, because I think Cody the original poster is the only one that seems to be kind hearted enough to wait.I have been unwavering in my responses.I am there to take as much money as I can period.No mercy, no regrets.
Sorry, not directed at anyone in particular, just those who don't always stare at another person's money and say to themselves that they want it all. I see it all the time in Vegas, drinkers or socials start talking and all the sudden they're new best friends in a hand and checking down straights and nut flushes to be nice.

I actually had the same thing happen, only I was fortunate enough to have both of my opponents get disconnected. We were all about even stackwise. Anyway I cleaned them out in between 3 and 5 minutes.

I would have broken my fucking mouse raising.His dog can go to hell.
i like dogs, but otherwise, this post captures my thinking exactly.there's money on the line. you should have walked your dog at the breaks. the dog can hold it or you can lose your blinds.

I dont play soft or just enjoy playing to talk to the person next to me. Just like most of us I am out to make $$ too.Hell I took advantage of the situation too for a second.You see the real problem is I am a social studies teacher who has taken a couple of ethics classes. The main idea of this thread was to see what others would do, while partially justifying my own actions.Now in regards to having this occur in a live tourney, I'll repost what I said earlier. If a player asked to go to the bathroom and you said NO, but they went anyway, then sure I could see taking advantage, but I just dont see this ever happening. Obviously if you agree to the bathroom break, then you probably wouldnt do this.Now what would I do if this happened live??? I have no clue, I really cant say what I would do unless in the situation. Im a nice guy, but dont get me wrong, but I am not going to take up the cornhole b/c some guy disconnects.To sum it up: I just wanted to know what you would do if this happened online. I do disagree with some about what what I would do if this occured live.

This isn't even rare at all. I've been on both ends of this many times, unfortunately more on the disconnected side. I pretty much expect to get blinded out, if i get back in time i feel lucky. On the other end of it, i blind people out until i start to feel kinda bad, then i blind out a little slower. The morals only kick in once they are crippled in chips though.

if it was my mom. and she told me she was running to the next room to take cookies out of the oven to send to me i would still probably raise, at least for a couple hands. hed do it to you

if it was my mom. and she told me she was running to the next room to take cookies out of the oven to send to me i would still  probably raise, at least for a couple hands.  hed do it to you
No doubt at all!I had two similar incidents 2 nights in a row, and while I was disconnected so who the hell knows what they did, I am almost certain that they didn't take a nice civilized vote and go hey look that poor bastard is disconnected, shall we wait for him?Thunderstorms knocked out the power on Wednesday and I got blinded out of 2 out 3 tournies.Last night my mouse on my crap pc decides that now since I actually am doing very well in 3, count them 3 tournies would be a spectacular time to not work anymore.So I rush to plug in a laptop since I had already exhausted my 6 month supply of spare mice and fortunately I was only down for the count for a few minutes, but again I am pretty sure that nobody was waiting around for me.I am there to win MONEY period.Not my fault or my problem if your equipment or something else prevents you from playing.I don't expect any such courtesy or mercy if I disconnect and will not extend any either.