Please don't flame me for this...it's for entertainment purposes only...I always watch Rounders when I'm in a downswing (lost a grand in 3 weeks) because it pumps me up, but I couldn't help but notice some flaws in the way hands played out.1. In the big scene with KGB, Mike walks in with 10 grand. He wins the first game and has 20 grand. They play again and after he wins he has "a little over 60 grand." Huh? Mike does say "feel free to reload at anytime," but I think that means getting his 20 grand in checks. If it meant he could rebuy, why would Mike agree to it?2. On the last hand when he flops the straight, KGB puts him on a draw. The board was 6-7-10 rainbow. What draw could he have possibly been on? An inside straight draw? 3. On the first hand heads up against KGB, Mike raises to 1000 with kings and KGB raises to 6000. Mike goes all in and the pot is 16000. KGB would have to call his last 4000. Isn't he a little pot committed? But I guess he could've had a terrible hand too.4. My signature is wrong. It's actually 2 hours...not 2 1/2. Will fix soon.Can anyone think of any others and/or give explanations for these?
2. There are two open ended straight draws. (4-5, and 5-8) Learn to play before pointing out "flaws".
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the very beginning of the movie, on the hand that empties out Mike McD....... the board reads something like A x 9 9 x, with 3 spades...... when Teddy bets out, Mike goes allin. Teddy calls .... "Your vight, I duint haff speedes".... and flips up the pocket rockets... He then immediately stands up and gets the big guy to rake in the money while he walks away....Mike doesn't get to show, as if Teddy had the nuts, but he didn't... Mike coulda had the 99, but not a big deal, just thought I'd add that.. :wink:

yeah me and a buddy always talk about quad 9's, but really when teddy says 'i don't have spades' mike's face wouldn't sink... teddy know's he's good.. also... earlier post about them playing in AC.. he's just saying the physical tells are so huge that they have no chance... notthat hard to believe..-- about the OP's question 3.... what did teddy fold there... ok so mike goes all-in, teddy know's he's way behind.. and str8 up chip value he should fold.. but..... mike is playing for his life (or something like that)... I think Teddy should call with anything... he wins 1 out of 10 at worst and on avg. 2 out of 10. With what's at stake teddy can call that last 5k... he's would not be winning 15k.. but more.. owning MikeMcD.. which brings me to the question I always ask ....WHAT THE F*CK WOULD TEDDY AND GRAMMAR (??sp..) DO TO MIKEY... ?? I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH UNDERGROUND CRIME AND LOANSHARKS.. SO WHAT WOULD THEY DO TO HIM????teddy "All your hopes and dreams.... your fate is sitting right beside you"... what the f*ck is his fate??!?Killing him can't be good for business b/c you won't get paidSo I assume he's going to get hurt pretty badly... what then... just keep getting f*cked up until somehow he gets the money?--alt Ending to Rounders... teddy calls 1st hand with ace rag and sucks out on Mikey's KK. Then Mikey is forced to be a prostitute/gimp for Grammar's biz... awwww... Mike McD...

i never understood why grama gets pissed when mike beats teddy KGB...he's still gettin his money...guess he really wanted to break mike's legs...
Since Mike won...Gramma doesn't get to keep the juice on the money he was owed. That is why he was upset.KGB kept the juice and gave Gramma the principle. it is implied.
2. There are two open ended straight draws. (4-5, and 5-8) Learn to play before pointing out "flaws".
That's very true, but they are also bad straight draws. Either the 8 or the 9 would've put a 4 card straight out there. But then again they were heads up.Here it comes...It's just a movie....And also I was quite high when I posted the initial message....
Mike didn't go all in on a missed draw....Teddy assumed Mike had missed his draw and bet everything he had, and Mike simply called with his made straight.
This is probably why you dont win at No Limit.
I think i misunderstood the first post. I agree that Teddy going all in is a horrible play as all he has to do is value bet and get Mike to fold a missed draw. Going all in is too risky just in case Mike had already hit his draw, which as we all know he had.
duckie 143 wrote: why would johhny chan fold after he got reraised on the flop...wouldnt he just call after reraise and see the turn?he raised mike reraised chan reraised mike reraised and chan folds before the turn?WTF?The action was pre-flop' date=' Mike was trying to sell aces......[/quote']the action was AFTER the flop...if you see the movie there are 3 cards out for the flop when the betting and raising started
2. Last hand. Mike doubles the blind (which was doubled from before, so 50 and 100). Teddy calls. This means that there is 400 in the pot. Teddy makes a huge bet ($1000) which Mike supposedly calls on a draw. Who the hell would make such an awful call with such horrible pot odds?
I see Ivey and other top pros make plays like this often online. When Ivey says there isn't as much math to poker as people say there is, I really believe he means it. At least he means it about the NL cash games he plays. I've seen him make $9,000 calls getting like 1.2 to 1 on his money with a flush draw.
2. Last hand. Mike doubles the blind (which was doubled from before, so 50 and 100). Teddy calls. This means that there is 400 in the pot. Teddy makes a huge bet ($1000) which Mike supposedly calls on a draw. Who the hell would make such an awful call with such horrible pot odds?
I see Ivey and other top pros make plays like this often online. When Ivey says there isn't as much math to poker as people say there is, I really believe he means it. At least he means it about the NL cash games he plays. I've seen him make $9,000 calls getting like 1.2 to 1 on his money with a flush draw.
That is pretty bad....but hey...it's IVEY!!!!BTW...I think he is the best player on the planet.
That is pretty bad....but hey...it's IVEY!!!!BTW...I think he is the best player on the planet.
These guys are just sick at the high levels, especially Ivey. It wasn't even the nut flush draw, but he made his flush on the turn and scooped Prahlad's chips. The guy I quoted wanted to know who the hell made awful calls with horrible pot odds and I say to him, go watch the top players at the highest stakes you can rail and you'll see plays that will make you piss on your math book.
  • 4 weeks later...

I JUST saw a little bit of the movie and this post.In the first hand of final game between KGB and MD's character he thinks KGB might have AA. He has KK, but thinks to himself "I can't call and give him a chance to catch". Catch what? AA is a 4.348 - 1 fav over KK so he doesn't have to "catch". The KK needs to "catch". :roll: 8) :roll: