greatest rock singer ever!

Just browsing the posts, decided after listening to Chris Cornell's solo album (Euphoria Morning) (also Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Audioslave), that he is the greatest rock singer ever. Love to hear other thoughts on the topic. Whose the gretest ever?

Robert Plant is awesome. But I'd have to say that Brad Nowell is the greatest all time singer (Sublime). Too bad about the heroin...he had so much talent it honestly makes me shiver to think he wasted his life and died before he was 30. :cry: He could play the guitar, sing, rap, rock, and roll...all in the 3 minutes that constitutes a made song. God bless.

All time, i'm going to have to go with one of the most influential: cobain. I'm not a nirvana fan, but he was an amazing lead singer.As of right now, the singer with possibly the greatest potential is Brent Smith of Shinedown. Helluva voice, helluva band, massive potential.

ummm...Chris Cornell. He sings like he just rolled out of bed after having a good time. I absolutely love him!I have always liked Michael Stipe from REM. A little mellodramtic, but still awesome and soulful.I really like Johnette Napolitano from Concrete Blonde. She has such a unique voice. It is very rich and earthy.

Smashing Pumpkins is one of my favorite bands but I wouldn't list Billy Corgan as one of the best singers. However, he would be on my list for one of the best song writers, that is for sure!

I'm obviously a big Van Halen fan, hence the picture to the left so i have to agree with both posts of Sammy and Dave. Curt Cobain was a good songwriter i guess, Nirvana was highly overrated and contrary to popular belief, they were not "grundge." Billy Corgans voice is very unique which is great, but I dont know if hes the best. Chris Cornell's voice is just too powerful to deny him. Greatest alive, period. That guy from sublime? cmon now, wrote some fun songs, great potential, but im talking about pure voice. ya know? By the way, Maynard James Keenan has an awesome voice, but there are few songs that show it. The song 3 Libras from a Perfect Circle shows his talent. Oh yeah and Rob Halford! He was insane, "Desert Plains Kid!" Keep em coming!

I'm obviously a big Van Halen fan, hence the picture to the left so i have to agree with both posts of Sammy and Dave. Curt Cobain was a good songwriter i guess, Nirvana was highly overrated and contrary to popular belief, they were not "grundge." Billy Corgans voice is very unique which is great, but I dont know if hes the best. Chris Cornell's voice is just too powerful to deny him. Greatest alive, period. That guy from sublime? cmon now, wrote some fun songs, great potential, but im talking about pure voice. ya know? By the way, Maynard James Keenan has an awesome voice, but there are few songs that show it. The song 3 Libras from a Perfect Circle shows his talent. Oh yeah and Rob Halford! He was insane, "Desert Plains Kid!" Keep em coming!
HOLY SHIT!! Santeria wasn't the only song he wrote. He died before he was even famous. His voice is so pure...so perfect, it's unbelievable. And yes, his songs were alot of fun. I could sit here an argue about all the different things he could do with his voice, but I have better things to do with my time.Wait a minute, no I dont! Vabratto is always perfect. He was KEY. Always key to everything he did. Everything! Tone was pure, lot's of sould. He was without a doubt the best singer that ever walked the earth.If you're a big music fan, listen to "40 oz to freedom" and his acoustic cd: "Sublime and friends". You will be pleasently suprised. I promise.

Ill take your word for it and listen to the cd, but i just still dont konw how you can compare him to chris cornell or any of the great voices. My challenge to you is to listen to euphoria morning by chris cornell, he made it after soundgarden broke up, not hard rock at all, its an eclectic album that can probably be classified as soft rock/classic rock. he does a piano ballad called, "when im down" it just shows how amazing of a singer he is.

freddy mercury was amazing! i agree, im not a huge fan of queen but he had it all, great voice, cool style and fit the rock star quota to a T! Just like rob halford, that tall skinny weird dressed act.Hey heres a thought, does anyone agree rock needs a new "high voice" again, like a person that can hit rediculous notes, 80's metal style without the glam. We need more wailers, ie, rob halford.

I used to like weiland, but i just think hes kinda boring, sorry just my opinion. I like Velvet revolver, some good songwriting and that slash sound is great to hear again, but i just think his voice is kinda boring. Again, just my opinion.

I used to like weiland, but i just think hes kinda boring, sorry just my opinion. I like Velvet revolver, some good songwriting and that slash sound is great to hear again, but i just think his voice is kinda boring. Again, just my opinion.
Fair enough, I can agree with that. I also think that, at times, Cornell's voice gets boring, especially at some points on audioslave's cd. Too many mellow tracks in a row, gets somewhat monotonous. That's my only knock on him. One of the greatest songs of all time IMO is Soundgarden - Outshined.

yeah the audioslave album had some slower songs, it seemed like they didnt know where to go with some stuff, of course they knew eachother about 10 minutes before they wrote that album. The new album comes out in june, and according to tom morello, the new album is really heavy and he said that its amazing! he said he loved the first album but this one blows it away. i cant wait to hear it. its about damn time.