the most basic tutorial

And do I ever mean basic........Where can I find something that teaches something as simple as hand rankings? Then goes on a little bit to like terms and that kind of thing.It is way too frusterating trying to teach poker without a person having a basic understanding.

You'll think I'm jopking, but...Sit 'em down in front of a WPT or WSOP video. We chuckle at VVP and Norman Chad commentary and the "Here are the Miller High Life Rules for Texas Hold 'Em", but lots of these new faces learned to play on TV before they ever opened a book or googled "poker strategy".After a few hours of video, they'll know how to play badly, but they'll know how to play. Then the educatin' can begin.Mensch

If the OP is so new at the game, mensch, would you recommend they play the play money tables at various sites before playing real money? I have mixed feelings on this, as the people on the play tables have nothing to lose, therefore the play is nowhere near the real money games. As for watching a video, yes the education will begin at the end of the show, lol.

www.pokertips.org absolutely best site for strategy, and very easy site to follow everything is divided into "beginner" "intermediate" and "advancecd" check it out

If the OP is so new at the game, mensch, would you recommend they play the play money tables at various sites before playing real money? I have mixed feelings on this, as the people on the play tables have nothing to lose, therefore the play is nowhere near the real money games.
God, no.The leaks in the game that you'd pick up if you started playing play money would cost you a ton.
If the OP is so new at the game, mensch, would you recommend they play the play money tables at various sites before playing real money? I have mixed feelings on this, as the people on the play tables have nothing to lose, therefore the play is nowhere near the real money games.
God, no.The leaks in the game that you'd pick up if you started playing play money would cost you a ton.
The advice to play in play money games comes from the play-winning-poker website, and is directed at players who don't know hand rankings or the rules of the game. I think that by playing a couple rounds of play money, you learn how blinds work, when you can bet or raise, etc. You don't learn how to play well, but you do learn the rules.I don't know if this is good advice or not, since I learned the rules playing in home games.
The advice to play in play money games comes from the play-winning-poker website, and is directed at players who don't know hand rankings or the rules of the game. I think that by playing a couple rounds of play money, you learn how blinds work, when you can bet or raise, etc. You don't learn how to play well, but you do learn the rules.I don't know if this is good advice or not, since I learned the rules playing in home games.
I think it is good advice to play on the play money tables to learn the game. The leaks in the game you pick up from playing low limit would cost you lots of money also if you played at higher limits. Low limit players, most of the time, play just like play money players, but everyone needs to start somewhere.
If the OP is so new at the game, mensch, would you recommend they play the play money tables at various sites before playing real money?
Only to the extent of learning one's way around the software. No longer.The only decent play I have found on playchip tables is in playchip SnGs. After the maniacs (half the players, sometimes two-thirds) bust out, maybe 8-10 hands in, a few serious players are left to contend for the pretend prize. In my experience, these players actually play to win.Depending on your cards from the first five minutes, you're likely to be either a big chip leader, ar a significantly shorter stack than average. Both of which are opportunities to practice a certain style of play.Mensch
If the OP is so new at the game, mensch, would you recommend they play the play money tables at various sites before playing real money?
Only to the extent of learning one's way around the software. No longer.The only decent play I have found on playchip tables is in playchip SnGs. After the maniacs (half the players, sometimes two-thirds) bust out, maybe 8-10 hands in, a few serious players are left to contend for the pretend prize. In my experience, these players actually play to win.Depending on your cards from the first five minutes, you're likely to be either a big chip leader, ar a significantly shorter stack than average. Both of which are opportunities to practice a certain style of play.Mensch
Herr - I agree here. I do play money SnGs when I'm at work. In case I have to step away for a few minutes, or something comes up and I have to leave all together. They're not all THAT bad. Gives me good practice for the idiot I have in my home game too.