poker for a living.

Does anyone here play strictly NL for a living or is it a standard practice to play Limit?I was just wondering if the unpredictability in NL is too much to depend on.If you do... what level of buy-in? What is your average monthly income target at those levels?just curious because it seems that everyone who mentions that they play for a living seem to say they play 10/20 or 15/30 etc.thanks everyone for the insight.KK

Does anyone here play strictly NL for a living or is it a standard practice to play Limit?I was just wondering if the unpredictability in NL is too much to depend on.If you do... what level of buy-in? What is your average monthly income target at those levels?just curious because it seems that everyone who mentions that they play for a living seem to say they play 10/20 or 15/30 etc.thanks everyone for the insight.KK
I think that $200 NL, 3 tabling, can provide a decent living. I know someone who makes about $18.00 per table, per hour at $200 NL. That is $50+ an hour. He only plays 2 hours a day and makes around $3,000 a month. Just double that and you will make a comfortable living considering you work 4 hours a day. That is also assuming you are good enough to beat the game at that rate.

I think that $200 NL, 3 tabling, can provide a decent living. I know someone who makes about $18.00 per table, per hour at $200 NL. That is $50+ an hour. He only plays 2 hours a day and makes around $3,000 a monthSeems unlikely.Very unlikely actually.

what's even more unlikely are these people you say that make a living at 10/20 or 15/30. there is no way anyone is making a living in these games. i'd be willing to bet that these people have been playing for 6 months and have done well in those six months and think they can sustain that month after month and year after year. no chance.

what's even more unlikely are these people you say that make a living at 10/20 or 15/30. there is no way anyone is making a living in these games. i'd be willing to bet that these people have been playing for 6 months and have done well in those six months and think they can sustain that month after month and year after year. no chance.
You're basing this on what, exactly?
In 15/30, if you make 1 BB an hour, play 40 hrs a week, that's over 60 grand a year...
it's a lot easier than it seems to make 1 big bet an hour playing 15/30, it's not as easy as the lower limits to accomplish this.

it's a lot easier than it seems to make 1 big bet an hour playing 15/30, it's not as easy as the lower limits to accomplish this.What?If you're not making more than 1BB and hour at limits lower than 15/30 there's a MAJOR leak in your game somewhere.

it's a lot easier than it seems to make 1 big bet an hour playing 15/30, it's not as easy as the lower limits to accomplish this.What?If you're not making more than 1BB and hour at limits lower than 15/30 there's a MAJOR leak in your game somewhere.
OK, sorry about that, I totally mistyped what I meant. I meant the complete opposite of what I wrote :D It's a lot harder to make 1 BB per hour at 15/30 than at the lower limits.

OK, sorry about that, I totally mistyped what I meant. I meant the complete opposite of what I wrote Laughing It's a lot harder to make 1 BB per hour at 15/30 than at the lower limits.Oh yeah, sure. Obviously it's harder to beat tougher players than weaker players.On the plus side, rake becomes less and less of an issue as the limits get higher. If people played well at low limits as a general rule no one would be beating them because the rake's so high relative to the pot sizes.

OK, sorry about that, I totally mistyped what I meant. I meant the complete opposite of what I wrote Laughing It's a lot harder to make 1 BB per hour at 15/30 than at the lower limits.Oh yeah, sure. Obviously it's harder to beat tougher players than weaker players.On the plus side, rake becomes less and less of an issue as the limits get higher. If people played well at low limits as a general rule no one would be beating them because the rake's so high relative to the pot sizes.
yeah that was my whole point though, that most people beat the low limits for maybe 2 big bets an hour and think if they played 15/30, they could do just about the same and make a very good income off this. It's much harder though, because at these levels, you'll run into a lot of very loose aggressive games which are probably the most difficult games to beat. You need to keep changing gears in these games, because you play too tight and get run over, play too loose and your stack's gone before you know it.

I think they're just more agressive really. Tight/agressive games are the hardest to beat. When people fold when you have them beat and hammer you when you have a 2nd best hand, that's not a game you want to be in.The biggest diffrence I see, being a guy who plays all kinds of limits, is in agression at higher limits. Three betting AQ on a Q35 flop is almost automatic at 15/30, and almost never seen at 2/4.

I think they're just more agressive really. Tight/agressive games are the hardest to beat. When people fold when you have them beat and hammer you when you have a 2nd best hand, that's not a game you want to be in.The biggest diffrence I see, being a guy who plays all kinds of limits, is in agression at higher limits. Three betting AQ on a Q35 flop is almost automatic at 15/30, and almost never seen at 2/4.
Tight aggressive games are hard to beat as well, but for some reason I just find the loose aggressive ones to be harder, I guess maybe it's because there's much bigger swings in a loose aggressive game and you expect your AA's to be lose more than they win, where as in a tight aggressive game, you can be pretty confident AA will holdup most of the time. I think it's personal preference and my style more than anything that has to do with this. I find I have more successs beating a tight aggressive game than a loose aggressive game.

There are many people making significantly more than 1bb/hr in 15-30 games. Im assuming you've never played these stakes, because they are not that tough, especially live. A 2-4 player will get run over, yes, but not everyone is a 2-4 player, my friend. And not everyone beats the 15-30. but some do. There are much higher stakes than 15-30 being played regularily, and people beat those games, too.

There are many people making significantly more than 1bb/hr in 15-30 games. Im assuming you've never played these stakes, because they are not that tough, especially live. A 2-4 player will get run over, yes, but not everyone is a 2-4 player, my friend. And not everyone beats the 15-30. but some do. There are much higher stakes than 15-30 being played regularily, and people beat those games, too.Of course. *I* can beat 15/30 for 1BB an hour live. Anyone can these days. The point was that beating 3/6 for 3BB an hour doesn't mean you'll beat 10/20 for 3BB an hour.

Guest XXEddie
No, when pacific(It sucks, but its the only one that will connect to my computer) doesnt have SnG or MTT I have to go the 50/100 Limit HE
If u r a good player playing 2/4, 3/6, 4/8 how many bb/h should u make?
I guess it just depends on your definition of successful and good. Everybody has different expectations. I think realistically, anything 1.5 big bets and over is decent at these levels. 2 is doing fairly well and 3 is probably about as high as you could get if you were absolutely crushing the games.
No, when pacific(It sucks, but its the only one that will connect to my computer) doesnt have SnG or MTT I have to go the 50/100 Limit HE
Pacific doesn't have 50/100 Limit Hold 'Em. 30/60 is as high as it goes over there. Did you mean the $50 or $100 no-limit tables?

there are also people makeing 50k+ playing low limit these days. when you can play 4-8 tables you can make at least as much playing 2-4 as 15-30 live. its a good way to build a bankroll and $30+ an hour is not unreasonable.matty