solution for stopping this forum from going bad

As those of us who have been visiting this site from the beginning know, this forum is currently in a downward spiral. Add to that the suspiscions (which I do not believe) that this site was only set up to eventually advertise for poker mountain, and I think that we have but one solution. dissallow everybody that signed up in this new year. then, once a month for five days allow new people to sign up. if they prove to be less than satisfactory, dissallow their IP address. Only do this if they are being complete jerks. This way we wont have random people coming in and just posting ridiculous stuff just to get thier rocks off. This would at least slow down the stream of posts that are going to turn this site into the same crud that we've all dealt with on other poker forums.Besides bringing our threads back to respectability, this would also be a nice token towards the forum members that this site was not indeed set up just to push for poker mountain down the road.I respectfully submit this proposal, as I dont want to lose what was a very cool website where we had several poker pro regulars come in and converse with less gifted players such as myself. Please, dont let this forum turn to crap.

While I agree that something has to be done, one thing we need to consider is that this is a public forum. I think if people need to make an arguement against someone, or something, it needs to be done tactfully and without name calling.Basically what seems to be happening is people are point fingers, calling someone names and just being flat out rude. You need to take a look around and ask yourself why you are here. If you are here to talk poker and have a good time with people with like interests, then you are here for the right reasons.If you are here to try and be the forum clown by insulting people for laughs, verbally harassing people and the likes, then you should go somewhere else and let everyone have their peace here in the forum.And for those of us who don't wish to get involved in these things, do just that. Don't get involved. Do not respond to those topics that are contraversial. In addition, if you know you do not like a particular member of this forum, don't insight further issues by reading his/her posts and get yourself worked up.There is a practical solution for people on both sides of these issues, we just have to learn to get along.I personally come to this forum because I love poker, and I like the community we have going here. Notice I said 'we' because everyone here makes this forum what it is. I have developed some good online friendships with members of this board, and it feels great to have someone to talk to about poker, or anything. The funny thing is, the world is much smaller than we would believe, and you find people with similar interests outside of poker and maybe even someone who lives down the street from you.If you ask yourself the question "why do I visit FullContactPoker.com?" and it's not something that you look forward to each day for a positive reason, then perhaps you should not visit.Daniel is a respectful public figure and by members spouting off in his forum it makes him look bad indirectly. I don't want that to happen, and neither should you.

Moderators, administrators, please help us out. This site used to be great! Now it has fallen victim to negativity and self promotion. Getting posts from pros about how and why they played certain hands is great, and we are at risk of losing that. I know if I were a pro, I wouldn't waste my time with the number of pointless posts that have started up over the last week or so. Any time a personal shot is taken at another member of the forum, there should be consequences (warnings and then banning seem appropriate). In short, I agree with the original post.

For each of us as individuals to "mute" other individuals?If that could be done, it would still be a public forum, and after a few posts individuals can decide if they wish to continue to see posts from certain individuals.I would think if certain posts weren't replied to because they are not even seen (by individual choice), those that make those posts would eventually get bored or move on to places where they get the responses.

I don't think this site is spiraling downward. Of course there are a few bad eggs here and there, but for the most part the people on this forum are good people interested in improving their poker game. I think with the increasing amount of members, the more progress will be made. Let's face it, this is the best poker forum on the internet and always will be!

It wouldnt be fair to just shut off the rest of the world to the forums as we see fit. It's for everyone. I for one cannot believe you'd see this as a solution.That said, it's easy enough to just ignore the people who really get to you, but you have to know that we have great admins on our side, so if someone is REALLY just being a pest, you can rest assured they will no longer be allowed to enjoy our community.It really is that simple, and it works that way on every forum known to the web.

Good idea, but it should start with eliminating people who registered on Dec 17th.I understand the need for certain particularly insecure people to want to feel special and part of some group that has a measure of exclusivity and uniqueness, but please.Registering for this site on the day it went live (or before) doesn't make you any more intresting or less of a jackass than anyone else.

Smasharoo, you and I have had some good times and good posts together. I think the fact that you and I have grown so far apart in recent weeks is a testament to the need for regulation. and if you read what i wrote, we wouldnt be preventing other people from joining. i'm not trying to be mean, smash, but in the future please read the entire post before responding. you and I were like forum brothers one smasharoo. i just want to have that back again. i want fraternity. i want us. what happened to the bumblebee brothers smash? what happened. We cant let it end like this, we just cant.

Smasharoo, you and I have had some good times and good posts together. I think the fact that you and I have grown so far apart in recent weeks is a testament to the need for regulation. and if you read what i wrote, we wouldnt be preventing other people from joining. i'm not trying to be mean, smash, but in the future please read the entire post before responding. you and I were like forum brothers one smasharoo. i just want to have that back again. i want fraternity. i want us. what happened to the bumblebee brothers smash? what happened. We cant let it end like this, we just cant.Stop, I'm going to cry.Or file a restraining order. I haven't decided which just yet.

As those of us who have been visiting this site from the beginning know, this forum is currently in a downward spiral. Add to that the suspiscions (which I do not believe) that this site was only set up to eventually advertise for poker mountain, and I think that we have but one solution. dissallow everybody that signed up in this new year. then, once a month for five days allow new people to sign up. if they prove to be less than satisfactory, dissallow their IP address. Only do this if they are being complete jerks. This way we wont have random people coming in and just posting ridiculous stuff just to get thier rocks off. This would at least slow down the stream of posts that are going to turn this site into the same crud that we've all dealt with on other poker forums.
I think that anyone who has 'hate' in their name should not be allowed to post here due to the negativity that word brings out. I think that anyone who has been a member for less than thirty days should refrain from posting about 'the good 'ol days when this board was a nice place'.I think that polls should be reserved for people with more than 20 posts to thier name.Blanket censorship is wrong. Stupid people will find a way to post. Ban an ip, no problem, I'll spoof 10 more. Or I'll just move from one pc at the library to another. There's a whole room full of them. The abusers will leave if you ignore them. Unfortunately in large groups, like here, there will always be someone to argue with them and keep them coming back.Bottom line, keep your posts on topic, I'll keep mine on topic, and the majority here will keep on topic, we'll keep the quality together.

I haven't been registered as a user very long. I read for a while first and then decided it would be a nice place to post and learn some. So, what you are telling me is you think I should be removed from the website. Hey maybe the site should be password protected so that you guys are the only ones that can read it. This is crazy. I don't want garbage posts or posters here anymore than you guys but you think the way to stop it is ban all of us who weren;t here in the beginning. Tell you what I know you can not find a post i have put on this board or any other that was rude or off color, but hey if you want me to leave not a problem i won't post or even look anymore. Just let me know. Maybe this isn't the place I thought it was.

Look, this is... outrageous. I agree that people need to be a little more respectful, buta) nothing THAT terrible has happened. I hope no one has a problem with my mild-needlesB) The idea of making this an exclusive site runs absolutely contrary to the idea of a "forum." If you limit the number of people, you limit the number of jerks, but you also limit the number of thinkers. It's that simple. c) It just won't work unless the moderators are nazis about all this... which they won't be, because they appear to be nice people.Stop it. Ice

dissallow everybody that signed up in this new year. then, once a month for five days allow new people to sign up. if they prove to be less than satisfactory, dissallow their IP address.
a little extreme docha think. I only registered to this site after i got full access to a comp instead of using a friend's. The admin's will take care of any idiots and leave it up to them, that's what they do. Its just best to leave and leave be. There is plenty of great content on this site and the vast majority contribute in positive ways, your solution punishes many good people at the expense of the bad few

I think this idea, despite having the best of intentions, is absurd. The best way to rid the forum of so-called "idiots" is to not respond to ridiculous posts; or rather, posts that you deem to be ridiculous. Unfortunately, this is very difficult for some. Some people (admin included) feel the need to respond to some posts if only to announce how pointless the post was in their opinion. If a post is pointless, don't respond! If a post is truly offensive and crosses the line of common decency then it will be removed. Then again, it may be removed even if it doesn't cross any lines; or the member may be banned. LOL!This is the expressed written opinion of digitalmonkey's brother. Digitalmonkey assumes no responsibility for pain, suffering, nausea, stomach cramps, high blood pressure, loss of bodily functions or any other odd thing that may happen to you as a result of reading this post.Please feel free to NOT respond.

• 1 year later...
Smasharoo, you and I have had some good times and good posts together. I think the fact that you and I have grown so far apart in recent weeks is a testament to the need for regulation. and if you read what i wrote, we wouldnt be preventing other people from joining. i'm not trying to be mean, smash, but in the future please read the entire post before responding. you and I were like forum brothers one smasharoo. i just want to have that back again. i want fraternity. i want us. what happened to the bumblebee brothers smash? what happened. We cant let it end like this, we just cant.
i was really bored and decided to go through the old offtopic threads and reply to the first one i felt like.i chose this one because its the first one that made me laughalso, all those complaining about the deterioration of the forum need to know that the situation is even more dire than they could have imagined.the forums been going to hell almost since the beginning.oh the humanity!11zz!!11zzz!!please somebody do something before its too late.
Good idea, but it should start with eliminating people who registered on Dec 17th.I understand the need for certain particularly insecure people to want to feel special and part of some group that has a measure of exclusivity and uniqueness, but please.Registering for this site on the day it went live (or before) doesn't make you any more intresting or less of a jackass than anyone else.
It's been a while since I agreed with something Smash said. It's feels odd.