Us Politics For Betting (Not Talking About Politics)

Ill ignore your personal attacks..If you like the argue the issues at hand, which I am sure you are unaware of maybe we can have an adult conversation.

the problem is that there is no issue there Serge other than it showed Trump's character. The media presented the facts.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was going to let this slide, but I just watched the video in question again and I just can't.   You watched a black man almost moved to tears as he passionately talked about an election and a coun

Most of you know that I am a fiscal conservative. If you didn't, you know now. I didn't vote for Trump and Im pretty sure I wouldn't have voted for Bernie Sanders. Would have looked for a 3rd candidat

My aunt used to foster parent children. I don't know how many she had, but I'd guess a few.   The last one she had she ended up adopting and now she's my cousin and she's awesome. She's early in he

the problem is that there is no issue there Serge other than it showed Trump's character. The media presented the facts.

This is possibly true..However as you know everything about is about spin...Trump says he didnt understand or hear the comment..The next day he denounces any connection to the KKK..

Media spins the situation to suggest Trump is a white supremacist racist...

Trump doesn't deal with any issues. His lack of actual content is literally astounding. He has specific talking points that he repeats ad nauseum. If he gets challenged on something he just deflects and then attacks on something totally different.

Serge, of you want to talk about "actual issues", the floor is yours. You are going to interpret anything I post as a "personal attack", so please, explain to us in detail, without attacking Hillary Clinton, or using the term "left wing", why you think Donald Trump would make a good president.

Trump doesn't deal with any issues. His lack of actual content is literally astounding. He has specific talking points that he repeats ad nauseum. If he gets challenged on something he just deflects and then attacks on something totally different.

One major issue that is very important to me and my kids is Common Core education. You probably dont know what it is because its not sensational enough for the media..

Trump said he will get rid of it right away..This for me is enough reason to vote for him.

I think his track record is pretty good and I truly believe he will do good things to the economy...

Is he politically correct? NO

Does he say things that offend people?Absolutely

We arent looking for a cookie cutter President like a wind up doll says the correct thing to every answer...Then behind closed doors is an outright criminal that has no business running a country.

The POTUS has to be a commander in chief..He has to get the right people in place to run the different facets of the country..A lot of people believe Trump is the guy that deserves an opportunity to try.

Here is another example of spin:

The media (left wing variety again) attacks and ridicules Trump when he says he will build a wall...Meanwhile lot of people believe this is a great idea , including Hillary:

http://www.hannity.com/articles/immigration-487258/watch-hillary-says-she-supports-a-14267589/

I can post 1000s of examples and reasons why we should try and keep Hillary out of the White House...I will and can if you like..

I honestly believe that Trump is the best choice and best chance to beat Hillary in the general election. We are already seeing "Reagan Democrats" jumping parties and hopefully that will continue.

"you probably don't know what this is because it's not sensation enough for the media"

I'll address the rest of your post later when I have time, but F*ck you for this comment Serge. That is more of a personal attack than anything I have ever said to you. And you clearly don't know me well at all.

Serge, I have stood up for you countless times over the years, but I think I am done dealing with you. I am a very patient and understanding person, and it takes a lot to push me to the end of my rope, but I think I am there.

"you probably don't know what this is because it's not sensation enough for the media"

I'll address the rest of your post later when I have time, but F*ck you for this comment Serge. That is more of a personal attack than anything I have ever said to you. And you clearly don't know me well at all.

Ok over reacting a little I guess.

Its hardly a personal attack, sorry if you saw it that way..My point was the media doesnt talk about the real issues to support Trump..

I hate the self-pity about the "left-wing media". If the media is left-wing, it is because people are left-wing. If you only consider social aspects, the majority of people in the United States are way the hell left of Republicans. And again, the media is not left wing. The media is showing Donald Trump 23 hours a day. If the media was left wing, why can you turn on any channel and see an extended clip or interview of Trump, and not see anything about Sanders? The media is sensationalist, that's for sure, but they are not left-wing. If they're broadcasting things you don't like, just say that you disagree with it, don't blame it on bias.

So I don't count "he has a good track record" as a reason when the whole basis is that he is not a politician and has absolutely no track record. I also don't count "He has to get the right people in place to run the different facets of the country..A lot of people believe Trump is the guy that deserves an opportunity to try" since it is similarly absurd to think that someone with no political connections would be better at that, and you don't even state your opinion, just say that others have that opinion.

But you did give one actual reason for supporting Trump - Common Core. That's a real issue, and there is room for disagreement! Can we discuss it? The majority of educational experts support it, which is why it is going into place, but that isn't necessarily proof of anything. So I'm curious what about Common Core you disagree with and why you'd like it repealed?

I'm also curious to hear your anti-Hilary reasons. So far your reasons have just been that she probably did something illegal (I agree), she lied about it (also true), but then you seem to take that a step further and suggest she must have terrible intentions because of those things. In my mind, those things are pretty bad, but they're really just about her achieving more power and influence, and there's no evidence that she did it to try to actually do bad things. Should being a conniving, power-hungry, selfish person and politician disqualify someone from wanting to be President? Yes! But then we have to count out Trump and pretty much every other candidate too (except maybe Sanders).

Serge, First, I had a bad morning at work and I probably overreacted a bit when I saw your comment, I apologize.

With that said. I've spent a lot of time reading about Trump recently, and watching videos of his rallies, and reading about his policies, or lack thereof, and reading about how he is going to implement all of his ideas (hint, he has no idea, or he is doing a really good job at keeping it a secret, and deflecting when it is brought up) and it just makes me incredibly angry. I think he is a juvenile, hateful man, who is actively encouraging hate and violence, and less actively, but not more subtly encouraging racism. Then I come on here and I see you dismissing all of the horrible traits about Trump as inconsequential, dismissing Trump Vitriol as media bias, and then in the next breath, suggest that I don't know anything about the issues, and strongly imply that I only get my opinions and knowledge from reading the "sensationalized media". that makes me angry in a way I can't even describe.

I hate the self-pity about the "left-wing media". If the media is left-wing, it is because people are left-wing. If you only consider social aspects, the majority of people in the United States are way the hell left of Republicans. And again, the media is not left wing. The media is showing Donald Trump 23 hours a day. If the media was left wing, why can you turn on any channel and see an extended clip or interview of Trump, and not see anything about Sanders? The media is sensationalist, that's for sure, but they are not left-wing. If they're broadcasting things you don't like, just say that you disagree with it, don't blame it on bias.

So I don't count "he has a good track record" as a reason when the whole basis is that he is not a politician and has absolutely no track record. I also don't count "He has to get the right people in place to run the different facets of the country..A lot of people believe Trump is the guy that deserves an opportunity to try" since it is similarly absurd to think that someone with no political connections would be better at that, and you don't even state your opinion, just say that others have that opinion.

But you did give one actual reason for supporting Trump - Common Core. That's a real issue, and there is room for disagreement! Can we discuss it? The majority of educational experts support it, which is why it is going into place, but that isn't necessarily proof of anything. So I'm curious what about Common Core you disagree with and why you'd like it repealed?

Common Core:

Its not going into place..its been in place for a while now. Most(not all ) states are using it, including California.

The basic notion that having standardized education along all states, let alone your own state is pretty bad...Some proponents will lead you to believe its not Washington controlled but it essentially is , because funding comes from Washington. Its a pretty complicated process which I can probably talk for hours.

Lot of teachers I have talked to hate it. They dont have control and individuality to teach. My numbers show there are 50 million K-12 students in the US currently. I happen to be the father to just two of them. There is no way all students learn at the same pace..Its impossible..From state to state, city to city, culture to culture...

Im sure you may have seen some of the ridicolous questions that are part of the curriculum...Here is a simplified version:

What is 8 plus 5?

If you answer 13, this isnt fully correct...You must show how you arrived at the answer. If you answer 12 and show properly how you came to that answer, you will be correct...Again this is just a dummied down version...I have seen much more complicated problems in Adrian's homework that blow me away..Its impossible to help him with homework because I dont get it...Now thankfully he is getting all A s and has a GPA of 4.0...But some kids are really lost....Teachers are lost...Its a mess.

We dont live in China where our kids should be treated like they are in military from the age of 5..Its not a communist country.

I think the general idea of not leaving any student behind is a good idea, however much like Obamacare the implementation is just terrible...By the way Common Core from my understanding isnt an Obama thing but was going into place much before, I believe in from the Dubya days.

Schools need to adapt to their own kids, we need to have curriculums that help our kids locally.

Its funny that Dave snapped later, because I was pretty sure this was personal....I know I would take this is an personal shot.

Ill ignore your personal attacks..If you like the argue the issues at hand, which I am sure you are unaware of maybe we can have an adult conversation.

I dont know Serge why you think this isnt a "personal attack" on someone.

Its funny to me where you say "Ill ignore personal attacks"....and then you launch one of your own.

There is at least one (but I think more) episode of Freakonomics that deals with non-standardized teaching and how they lead to better outcomes for students. Worth a listen.

I think standardized testing is not great, but beyond that, know very little about common core.

I'm also curious to hear your anti-Hilary reasons. So far your reasons have just been that she probably did something illegal (I agree), she lied about it (also true), but then you seem to take that a step further and suggest she must have terrible intentions because of those things. In my mind, those things are pretty bad, but they're really just about her achieving more power and influence, and there's no evidence that she did it to try to actually do bad things. Should being a conniving, power-hungry, selfish person and politician disqualify someone from wanting to be President? Yes! But then we have to count out Trump and pretty much every other candidate too (except maybe Sanders).

Its not just the emails and the Benzagi situation..There are numerous instances from Travelgate, Haiti mining scandal, the emails(BIG ONE),Sandy Berger scandal..There are numerous more..She has done bad things, she is a criminal..

Trump from all counts hasnt done anything illegal..Maybe ruthless in business, but all businessman have done that..Trump isnt a saint..No one is arguing that..I just think a woman like Hillary should not be in power..

Sanders I just dont agree with his policies..

fwiw, im pretty much with Serge on Hilary. (which to me is the funny part of all this talk, because i'm sure he puts me in with the rest of you left-wing media brainwashed commies)

well, I dont know about pretty much, but I don't like her for President. Its just unfortunate the choices are not that great overall.

Serge, First, I had a bad morning at work and I probably overreacted a bit when I saw your comment, I apologize.

With that said. I've spent a lot of time reading about Trump recently, and watching videos of his rallies, and reading about his policies, or lack thereof, and reading about how he is going to implement all of his ideas (hint, he has no idea, or he is doing a really good job at keeping it a secret, and deflecting when it is brought up) and it just makes me incredibly angry. I think he is a juvenile, hateful man, who is actively encouraging hate and violence, and less actively, but not more subtly encouraging racism. Then I come on here and I see you dismissing all of the horrible traits about Trump as inconsequential, dismissing Trump Vitriol as media bias, and then in the next breath, suggest that I don't know anything about the issues, and strongly imply that I only get my opinions and knowledge from reading the "sensationalized media". that makes me angry in a way I can't even describe.

Thats totally fine..Ill apologize again if you or Arp think I attacked you...When I said you arent aware , I misspoke, mistyped as I usually do..When is the last time CNN or Fox news argued about Common Core..They are all about the sensationalizing the events and not the issues.

I agree Trump is a juvenile man..He is a comedian, maybe a bad off color comedian..I really dont think he is racist as you and a lot of others believe..But thats our differing opinions.

If the Republican party has a better candidate to support than Trump, I will gladly support them..

Here is what it comes down to for me if its Hillary vs Trump...Do I want a criminal running the country? My answer is no as it should be with all common sense people...

Can Rubio beat Hillary? NO

Can Cruz beat Hillary? NO

Can Kasich beat Hillary? NO

Can Bernie beat Hillary? Its not looking like he can

Trump has the best chance IMO, the operative word being MINE.

fwiw, im pretty much with Serge on Hilary. (which to me is the funny part of all this talk, because i'm sure he puts me in with the rest of you left-wing media brainwashed commies)

well, I dont know about pretty much, but I don't like her for President. Its just unfortunate the choices are not that great overall.

LOL..

87 percent of Hartford Whaler fans are Republican.

This was a joke..Its sort of funny,maybe not.

• Like 1

I don't like Hillary, but she is not incompetent. Nor would she horribly damage relations with many other countries just by her mere presence, based on previous things she has said. Trump would be an absolute disaster as POTUS. There would probably be riots in America, America would be mocked wildly all around the globe. Trump's big mouth would get him into all kinds of trouble in all kinds of situations. And most worrisome is Trumps current reactions to those who oppose him: Get rid of them. I do believe that he has the makings of a fascist. Whether that would come to fruition if he ever becomes the POTUS is anyone's guess, but I am not interested in finding out.

You say you don't believe trump is racist. He may not be, but that is irrelevant in this case. His words and actions have had the affect of spreading racism and hate, and he has done nothing to stop it. He has refused to speak out about racism among his supporters. Is this because he is racist himself? possibly, or more likely, he recognizes that a portion of his supporter's are racist and doesn't want to alienate them. THIS IS JUST AS BAD AS BEING RACIST. In fact, considering the position he is in, and the power he wields, his actions, or lack thereof, are far more damaging to society than the casual racists who support him.

There have been numerous cases of violence by trump supporters at trump events. Many instances of racially fuelled violence. Not only has trump refused to condemn this behaviours, he has time and time again stoked the flame, encouraged violence, and blamed the victims. This is unforgivable as a human being, dangerous to society as a political leader, and dangerous to the world as the president of the USA.

Now, could we look past all of this if he was actually a brilliant political mind with grand ideas for the country, and a solid plan to bring those ideas to fruition? I personally couldn't, but I could at least understand the logic behind supporting him in that case. However, that is not even close to the truth. He has vague ideas at best that mostly involve America "winning" at the expense of other countries, and vague ideas of "making America great again" whatever that means. But he has no actionable plans for actually achieving this. Oh wait, sorry, he is going to build a wall and "make mexico pay for it". The man is a buffoon who is deliberately attempting to appeal to the lowest common denominator of society because his advisors have correctly identified that as a winning strategy(at least for now), and it pains me that you can't see that Serge.

sorry for the essay

• Like 1

re: Common core math. from what I have seen, I personally think it is stupid, however I also recognize that this is a poor reason to not want it in our schools. I don't know enough about the studies that have been done on the effectiveness of it to properly argue for or against. I'm not shocked that Trump wants to get rid of it, because it is "new and different", and was generally not around in the "good old days", when America was "great". Back when protestors got beat to death for opening their stupid mouths.

re: Common core math. from what I have seen, I personally think it is stupid, however I also recognize that this is a poor reason to not want it in our schools. I don't know enough about the studies that have been done on the effectiveness of it to properly argue for or against. I'm not shocked that Trump wants to get rid of it, because it is "new and different", and was generally not around in the "good old days", when America was "great". Back when protestors got beat to death for opening their stupid mouths.

Have you read his stance on it? He mentioned it at a rally or something in January. He heard Jeb was a supporter. His response..." of Common Core," Trump said. "That's a disaster. It's bad. It should be local and all of that." Yeah he's really out to fight it ...and all that.

You want to get rid of common core? Vote for Cruz. He's adamant about it and talks about it a lot.

Trump says nothing about everything. Has anyone actually watched a rally? He provides zero details of any policy he even attempts to discuss. His stance on ISIS? "we will get them!" How? " we are going to get them!" But how? What's the plan. " we will fight them and get rid of them even if I have to break laws". Oh. Ok...

I stated a few days ago or so that my support of Hilary is diminishing for a few reasons. The emails are still a non issue for me. I see bigger issues personally but overall she is just a vote for the status quo. She won't destroy the country. It'll just be 4 yes of pretty much the same as the previous 4 yrs. for me, and me only as I can only speak for me, I'm content with the status quo. Because the alternative could put the bush administration era to fcking shame.

• Like 2