Essay's Top Ten

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think he really really relates to Home Alone just for the title.

So, instead of doing actual work i need to do I decided to go through and tabulate all the punishments handed down by Essay. Not counted: prelim warnings (1 each) for BigD and Rod. Also, Essay was "

I'm assuming my jokes are valued at .77 of a man's.

Essay's Top Ten Steven Soderbergh Films

1. Side Effects

2. Unsane

3. Traffic

4. Solaris

5. Out of Sight

6. Oceans 11

7. Contagion

8.Oceans 12

9. Oceans 13

10. Erin Brockovich

Essay's Top Ten Action Movies of the 1990's

1. Speed

2. Desperado

3. Point Break

4. The Rock

5. True Lies

6. Demolition Man

7. Con Air

8. Under Siege

9. Daylight

10. Sudden Death

I'm not sure if I've seen Desperado (maybe pieces). I definitely haven't seen Daylight. I think I've seen Sudden Death, but I have little memory of it - most Van Damme movies kind of blur together for me.

Cage's accent in Con Air is one of the worst in the history of film, but it was otherwise a silly/fun movie.

Die Hard 3 would absolutely be on mine. I'd also have Jurassic Park, Lost World, Fifth Element, and Independence Day, but I get that you'd put them in sci-fi. Would Batman Returns qualify? Mission Impossible was good too. Interesting that there are no Lethal Weapons, Jackie Chan, or Bond movies. Also, I might've thought you'd put Bad Boys or Rush Hour.

Looking back through this list on Wikipedia is a walk down memory lane...Escape from LA, Eraser, Twister, Enemy of the State...PAYBACK! Now there's an underrated gem.

Does The Knick count on this list? Because The Knick is one of my absolute favorite tv shows. I loved it. I think it could have benefited from a BBC Sherlock/Luther model and only have 3-4 episode seasons, but it was incredible television

• Like 1

Does The Knick count on this list? Because The Knick is one of my absolute favorite tv shows. I loved it. I think it could have benefited from a BBC Sherlock/Luther model and only have 3-4 episode seasons, but it was incredible television

totally agree, great series.

PAYBACK! Now there's an underrated gem.

Have you seen the Director's Cut where Kris Kristofferson is completely deleted from the film, the bad "guy" is a woman, and there is no explosion at the end? It's horrible. I LOVE payback, and couldn't believe how much the director wanted changed. As a rule, I'm usually on the side of directors, but wow, I'm thankful for a bunch of EP's on that one. Payback is one of my favorite movies.

Essay's Top Ten Steven Soderbergh Films

1. Side Effects

2. Unsane

3. Traffic

4. Solaris

5. Out of Sight

6. Oceans 11

7. Contagion

8.Oceans 12

9. Oceans 13

10. Erin Brockovich

Out of Sight has no business being anywhere below #1, obviously, but SS hasn't made 5 good movies, let alone 10. I did like Traffic a lot, and EB is a good movie.

• Like 1

Have you seen the Director's Cut where Kris Kristofferson is completely deleted from the film, the bad "guy" is a woman, and there is no explosion at the end? It's horrible. I LOVE payback, and couldn't believe how much the director wanted changed. As a rule, I'm usually on the side of directors, but wow, I'm thankful for a bunch of EP's on that one. Payback is one of my favorite movies.

I have not. It has actually been probably 15 years since I watched it...need to watch it again.

Out of Sight has no business being anywhere below #1, obviously, but SS hasn't made 5 good movies, let alone 10. I did like Traffic a lot, and EB is a good movie.

Out of Sight is my second favorite movie of all time, so I'd agree.

(I also agree with Essay that I need to see some more of his movies though.)

I thought we had this conversation before

Essay's Top Ten Dramatic TV Shows [All Time, Updated after Westworld shit the bed]

1. Game of Thrones

2. The Wire

3. The Sopranos

4. Breaking Bad

5. Deadwood

6. Justified

7. Mad Men

8. The Shield

9. Fargo

10. LOST

The beginning heist is great, the narrative structure is complex but followable, the acting and dialogue are overall fun, the cinematography sets the moods, the banter between Clooney/Lopez is great in most of their scenes, and it has potentially the best love scene ever.

I watched out of sight this weekend, based on the hype from this thread. Meh.

It is very chick-flicky, so I get that. But remember, this movie came out in like 1997 or something. The narrative was fairly unique as it was post-Pulp Fiction but pre-Memento and others.

How would you rank the only three movies SS has made worth ranking? (Traffic, Out of Sight, Erin Brockovich)

• Like 1

It is very chick-flicky, so I get that. But remember, this movie came out in like 1997 or something. The narrative was fairly unique as it was post-Pulp Fiction but pre-Memento and others.

How would you rank the only three movies SS has made worth ranking? (Traffic, Out of Sight, Erin Brockovich)

Um, I'd rate The Limey, Ocean's 11, sex lies and video tape, the informant and the girl friend experience ahead of all of those. I haven't seen the Che's, which I'm curious about, and a couple of the others. Over all, I'm not a big soderbergh guy. I think the knick is the best thing he's done.

I thought Out of Sight was Tarantino-ish, but without all the shit that makes Tarantino good, IE hilarious dialog and beautifully shot movies with hilarious and shocking violence. Just having a non-linear plot and an attitude doesn't cut it.

Um, I'd rate The Limey, Ocean's 11, sex lies and video tape, the informant and the girl friend experience ahead of all of those. I haven't seen the Che's, which I'm curious about, and a couple of the others. Over all, I'm not a big soderbergh guy. I think the knick is the best thing he's done.

Demerit!

In my defense, I haven't seen The Limey, SL&VT, The Informant, TGFEX, Che's, or The Knick. So I might agree with you if I had. I disagree that Oceans 11 is better than Traffic, and it's pretty shocking to hear you say that, but I guess it's ok to have differing opinions.

Completely agree about not being a Soderbergh guy. He's below average as far as I'm concerned.

As far as Out of Sight is concerned, I don't think it's just the non-linear timeline that makes it good. I enjoyed the pace and GC's acting quite a bit. It's not as good as Michael Clayton, but not much is.