2013 Nhl Signings/trades

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So they sent him to Brodeur for mentoring on who not to sleep with?!

Waaaaa, you made fun of my team, now Im gonna cry.

New Jersey makes people homesick.

is it only 250k per year? Thought it would be more than that.

Thats what is being reported..Since there are so many more years left, its only $250K..But its every year for 11 years..

The Devils Lose Kovalchuk, Parise, Clarkson and a 1st rounder....Get NOTHING in return.

It's not much because the Devils haven't benefited much. It's not a front loaded deal, and it's only been 3 of 15 years... I guess the benefit (which was like $3M-ish) is spread out over the remaining would-be term?

What the rules on him coming back say in 5 years a la Jagr?

Since his contract is voided, he is a free agent? After how long.

He'll sign an even bigger contract in the KHL

it seems that you are right.

The Devils have real money problems so I guess losing the $11 million they were going to pay him this year is something that they don't have a problem with

Neil Greenberg ‏@ngreenberg 2m

Free to sign with KHL now RT @drosennhl: Lamoriello says Kovalchuk's contract is now void. He has signed the appropriate paperwork.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 16m

A few quick thoughts on Kovalchuk's "retirement" from NHL that voids his NHL contract but paves way for him to sign in KHL:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 16m

1. Mutual (player and club agree) termination of an NHL contract not that unusual but usually involves lower-profile players.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 10m

2. If NJ had so chosen, it could've blocked Kovalchuk from the KHL by tolling contract. But NJ isn't doing that, he's free to go to KHL.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 8m

3. Kovalchuk doesn't get paid anything (by NJ) and Devils don't get cap hit other than a modest $250K/year penalty for each of next 12 years

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 6m

4. NJ will miss Kovallchuk on ice in the short term but long-term gain is getting out from under long-term financial obligation.

He'll sign an even bigger contract in the KHL

This why I'm confused about a lot of the "it's not about the money" comments. To be clear, it does not seem to be about the money, but it can't be ignored that he could sign a bigger contract tomorrow in the KHL. Now, there's probably more risk actually getting paid by his KHL team than the Devils, but you could argue this is a win for the Devils overall. Just unfortunate for them they didn't know earlier in the offseason.

As for giving up the pick to sign him, they didn't do that willingly. At the time, they did not think they'd lose a pick for the deal.

it seems that you are right.

The Devils have real money problems so I guess losing the $11 million they were going to pay him this year is something that they don't have a problem with

Agree with this. As per Bobby Mac's tweets, since it was a mutual agreement to terminate, they're pretty much free and clear. Same type of termination we often see on borderline guys on 2-way deals so they can sign elsewhere...just never seen someone willingly void a $77M deal :icon_surprised:

Reports are he will even make more money in the KHL..The tax rate in Russia is 13%..

I was shocked to see that Alexander Radulov makes $9 million a year.

At first I thought Kovalchuk was a douche for screwing the team..But then I hear he is a huge family man, his dad passed away a while back and his mom is all alone in Russia..

The man has every right to work where ever he wants..

Its interesting though:

Parise goes home to Minnesota

Clarkson goes home to Toronto

Kovalchuk goes home to Russia

I just think this whole contract cap issue is a bit of a joke ..

Teams had to pay 10s of millions of dollars to get rid of contracts....Simple retirement makes all the money go away...

Also apparently there is no stopping him from coming back to the NHL, as long as all the teams agree.

Bill Daly said NJ would still hold his rights.

Besides some fans, I don't think you'll find anyone upset about this. Kovalchuk gets more money and plays closer to home while the Devils, who are $250M+ in debt, get rid of his contract for a minuscule $250K cap hit until 2025.

Ken Campbell has an interesting article on it.

Reports are he will even make more money in the KHL..The tax rate in Russia is 13%..

At first I thought Kovalchuk was a douche for screwing the team..But then I hear he is a huge family man, his dad passed away a while back and his mom is all alone in Russia..

Its interesting though:

Did you say the same thing about Eric Lindros when he was drafted?

Its interesting though:

True but I don't think he is a douche. One of the first guys my son ever met in person was Kovalchuk. He was very very friendly. We got to met him again and he was the same person. He always signs for fans too. Remember he was the guy who spearheaded the Dan Snyder stuff in his home town of Elmira.

Its interesting though:

He is a bit of a dick, since of course he signed the contract that he doesn't want to fulfill. Doubly a dick for being happy playing in a secondary league, rather than the best league in the world.

Both of those are minor things though. I have plenty of empathy for a family man willing to give up certain things to spend more time with the ones he love, and to have them live in an environment that he is happier with.

I just think this whole contract cap issue is a bit of a joke ..

Teams had to pay 10s of millions of dollars to get rid of contracts....Simple retirement makes all the money go away...

Also apparently there is no stopping him from coming back to the NHL, as long as all the teams agree.

Keep in mind though that Kovalchuk had to willingly forfeit all the money. So the Islanders have to pay millions to get rid of DiPietro, and it could all go away...DiPietro would just have to say "no thanks" to the $40 million or whatever he is owed. Not that easy...

Bruins lock up another player for life..Bergeron 8 years $52 million

Bergeron is one of those guys I can't help but like. I remember a few years ago we'd never thought he'd play again.

Kovalchuk gets such a bad rap because he's Russian. He was a very solid two way player, an elite goal scorer, and probably should be a Hall of Famer.

I'm not all that annoyed or upset that he would want to move back home close to his family.

Imagine for a minute if the world's best hockey league was in Russia, and you got drafted to play on Avangard Omsk, you go over there at 18, you don't know the language, the culture, anything. Sure, you stick around for 12 years, you sign a long contract, but things change. You miss your home, your family. You lose a close loved one and want to be back with the surviving parent while they're still around. Have them be a part of your children's life. It's not at all unreasonable.

And he didn't screw the Devil's over at all. They barely pay any penalty for this.

Kovalchuk gets such a bad rap because he's Russian. He was a very solid two way player, an elite goal scorer, and probably should be a Hall of Famer.

I'm not all that annoyed or upset that he would want to move back home close to his family.

Imagine for a minute if the world's best hockey league was in Russia, and you got drafted to play on Avangard Omsk, you go over there at 18, you don't know the language, the culture, anything. Sure, you stick around for 12 years, you sign a long contract, but things change. You miss your home, your family. You lose a close loved one and want to be back with the surviving parent while they're still around. Have them be a part of your children's life. It's not at all unreasonable.

And he didn't screw the Devil's over at all. They barely pay any penalty for this.

And now add in that the seconde best league in the world is actually back in Canada, and they are willing to pay you twice as much money to lure you back home.

Well said. I'm surprised situations like this don't happen more. Some of these guys earn more money than they or their children could ever spend before they are 30. I'm very surprised more of them don't choose to spend time with them and/or protect their own health by quitting early.