• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's the difference between a particular gene sequence in an abstract sense and a particular gene sequence that exists within a cell? Can you explain the difference in a way that doesn't boil down

This is pretty funny. The problem isn't the itty bitty details. The problem is Romney refuses to say if he's going to play Poker or Go Fish with the cards, and is on record as saying he doesn't know

I see.   I'd rather give the poor tax breaks than give them welfare. As a general rule. Let them keep their money to live on rather than take their money and then provide for them.

Well, if some of you are looking for a silver lining, here you go-

http://www.slate.com...ch_the_gop.html

Outside of gay marriage and abortion Obama essentially is a Republican. If anyone should be upset right now it's Liberals, who have been virtually disenfranchised in this country despite a lot of support for many of their positions.

Obama will win the electoral college (by a good margin) and the popular vote by about 1%.

Democrats will gain in the Senate. House will remain about the same.

Colorado will "legalize it."

The electoral college will still be a supremely stupid idea.

Oh?

Well, if some of you are looking for a silver lining, here you go-

http://www.slate.com...ch_the_gop.html

Outside of gay marriage and abortion Obama essentially is a Republican. If anyone should be upset right now it's Liberals, who have been virtually disenfranchised in this country despite a lot of support for many of their positions.

I asked my wife to read me Obama's acceptance speech while I was looking after my sick son. She accidentally read his September speech, accepting the nomination. I told her after she'd read the wrong speech, because that was obviously a Republican's, and not Obama's.

Obama is a Republican. Romney is a Conservative and a Christian. The left's grasp at the middle has pushed them so far right that the right has no choice but to go fundamentalist to stay right. And yet, people's voting choices are so entrenched, that an extremist party still got ~50% of the popular vote.

I'm very proud of my southern neighbours at the incredible voter turnout numbers. I'll be even more proud when one party (I don't care which!) gets 55% of the popular vote.

And next I suppose you'll tell us you came up with that using "math"

There's a lot of praise that's being lavished on Nate Silver (and rightfully so, he's done an excellent job), but in reality, if you were to simply take a literal average of the polls in the swing states, you would have done as well as he did with his complicated model and regressions. It wasn't too hard to clearly see what would happen.

And yet so, so many people failed to do so. This includes people here (cough) but also people whose jobs are to inform the public. There needs to be a system that punishes people who simply made awful, awful predictions. For example, these:

http://www.politico....1112/83447.html

I like the one by Rush:

“All of my thinking says Romney big. All of my feeling is where my concern is. But my thoughts, my intellectual analysis of this — factoring everything I see plus the polling data — it’s not even close. Three hundred-plus electoral votes for Romney.” — Nov. 5, on his radio show.

Good call, dude.

A lot of those pundits are paid to tell their audience what they want to hear, not to be accurate.

No, they're paid only to HAVE an audience, it the audience's fault that they choose to listen to people who say incorrect things.

No, they're paid only to HAVE an audience, it the audience's fault that they choose to listen to people who say incorrect things.

I imagine advertisers like stupid people more than smart ones.

I imagine advertisers like stupid people more than smart ones.

It could be said that the entire election is a big advertisement campaign.

It's so sad. He juuuust gets them all off his desk and BAM! another load falls down.

I blame Balloon Guy.

I'm 0-4 in national balloon drops...

Where you at?

I'm off the grid, man. It's was an incredible risk just to rib you. But, if they catch me, I'll say it was worth it all.

Still got a sugar momma?

We're into role reversal now.

I mean I know you ain't got a job in this economy.

I met this Nigerian prince via email. I should be getting that big pay day any moment now. +EV FTW!

• Like 1

I asked my wife to read me Obama's acceptance speech while I was looking after my sick son. She accidentally read his September speech, accepting the nomination. I told her after she'd read the wrong speech, because that was obviously a Republican's, and not Obama's.

Obama is a Republican. Romney is a Conservative and a Christian. The left's grasp at the middle has pushed them so far right that the right has no choice but to go fundamentalist to stay right. And yet, people's voting choices are so entrenched, that an extremist party still got ~50% of the popular vote.

I'm very proud of my southern neighbours at the incredible voter turnout numbers. I'll be even more proud when one party (I don't care which!) gets 55% of the popular vote.

Another View

A very Liberal Lesbian Camille Paglia where the Democratic Party is today.

But the childish naivete of so many supposedly well-educated liberals was shown by their complete failure to notice or remark on the most glaringly obvious deficiency in Obamacare: You cannot possibly expand medical coverage to millions of people without also expanding medical training and funding new clinics and hospitals. The total absence of that in the bill was ludicrous. And you still hear mush-minded liberals saying all the time in the media, “Oh, what about this nice provision or that?” When any of those things could have been easily dealt with by free-standing bills passed with bipartisan support.

The way liberals lay down flat to accept this massive, totalitarian takeover of the American medical system was shocking to me. Let’s remember how Bob Dylan broke out of folk music into the public sphere with his great song, “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” which was about the fascist intrusion of Big Brother government. It was about the FBI and the CIA and the police — faceless bureaucracies — intruding into our private lives. What in the world has happened to the Democratic Party? Its passivity towards this awful takeover of our lives by a know-it-all government, as shown by the way Obama has governed by constantly going around Congress — appointing czars and one new layer of bureaucracy after another. And hardly a peep of protest from liberals. It’s like the movie of H.G. Wells’ “The Time Machine” — Democrats have turned into the Eloi; they’re like sheep. They hear a signal, and it’s like pre-programmed spin in their heads — they just trot like sheep in one direction. I am voting Green in protest against the systemic corruption of my party.

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/10/camille_paglias_glittering_images/

Another View

But the childish naivete of so many supposedly well-educated liberals was shown by their complete failure to notice or remark on the most glaringly obvious deficiency in Obamacare: You cannot possibly expand medical coverage to millions of people without also expanding medical training and funding new clinics and hospitals. The total absence of that in the bill was ludicrous. And you still hear mush-minded liberals saying all the time in the media, “Oh, what about this nice provision or that?” When any of those things could have been easily dealt with by free-standing bills passed with bipartisan support.

The way liberals lay down flat to accept this massive, totalitarian takeover of the American medical system was shocking to me. Let’s remember how Bob Dylan broke out of folk music into the public sphere with his great song, “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” which was about the fascist intrusion of Big Brother government. It was about the FBI and the CIA and the police — faceless bureaucracies — intruding into our private lives. What in the world has happened to the Democratic Party? Its passivity towards this awful takeover of our lives by a know-it-all government, as shown by the way Obama has governed by constantly going around Congress — appointing czars and one new layer of bureaucracy after another. And hardly a peep of protest from liberals. It’s like the movie of H.G. Wells’ “The Time Machine” — Democrats have turned into the Eloi; they’re like sheep. They hear a signal, and it’s like pre-programmed spin in their heads — they just trot like sheep in one direction. I am voting Green in protest against the systemic corruption of my party.

http://www.salon.com...ttering_images/

you know you lost an election when you are posting the thoughts of people to the left of Lenin. Sorry bud.

But the childish naivete of so many supposedly well-educated liberals was shown by their complete failure to notice or remark on the most glaringly obvious deficiency in Obamacare: You cannot possibly expand medical coverage to millions of people without also expanding medical training and funding new clinics and hospitals. The total absence of that in the bill was ludicrous.

Translation: Obamacare should have been more all-inclusive and added significant provisions to train more doctors, etc

And you still hear mush-minded liberals saying all the time in the media, “Oh, what about this nice provision or that?” When any of those things could have been easily dealt with by free-standing bills passed with bipartisan support.

Translation: Obamacare did too much, and instead should have been many smaller bills that were all individually passed.

wat

Another View

http://www.salon.com...ttering_images/

First of all, Paglia is the Donald Trump of liberals. No one takes her seriously.

This argument is contradicted by another favorite Republican argument- that supposedly no one is being denied coverage. But if they are already being treated then there would be no need to hire more doctors or build more hospitals. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Some people really were being denied coverage. However, it's not that hard to hire more doctors. This seems like a fairly trivial problem.

As for the government takeover, liberals have been protesting that, but everyone ignores them. The problem is that Neocons are as bad or worse when it comes to abuse of government power. Also, complaining about Obama going around congress is beyond stupid. Neocons did everything they could to oppose Obama on everything.

First of all, Paglia is the Donald Trump of liberals. No one takes her seriously.

This argument is contradicted by another favorite Republican argument- that supposedly no one is being denied coverage. But if they are already being treated then there would be no need to hire more doctors or build more hospitals. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Some people really were being denied coverage. However, it's not that hard to hire more doctors. This seems like a fairly trivial problem.

As for the government takeover, liberals have been protesting that, but everyone ignores them. The problem is that Neocons are as bad or worse when it comes to abuse of government power. Also, complaining about Obama going around congress is beyond stupid. Neocons did everything they could to oppose Obama on everything.

So you are agreeing with the following?

From Interview of the President by Rick Green & Laura Hollingsworth, The Des Moines Register

Question: Yes, that begs a question from us, Mr. President. Some say you had a super majority in your first two years and had this incredible opportunity, but because of what you were talking about, as you were running, you had to go to get Obamacare done. Do you have any regrets taking on some of the economic issues, some of the issues that we're talking about for your second term, that when you had the chance, so to speak, during your first -- do you have any regrets that you didn’t do that at that time?

THE PRESIDENT: Absolutely not, Laura. Remember the context. First of all, Mitch McConnell has imposed an ironclad filibuster from the first day I was in office. And that's not speculation. I mean, this is -- it’s amply recorded. He gave a speech saying, my task is to defeat the President.