I Have No Opinion On Contracts Thread 2011 Edition Part A

I was down in Moncton over the long weekend, and flipped over to Maine for some shopping. A few thoughts:- I don't know how every American isn't rich. Everything is so goddamn cheap. 4 McNuggets for $1? Insane. We would've gone there just for the better selection, but it is actually worth the cost of driving 8 hours in both directions for the lower prices on the same goods. I can't imagine how rich I would be (hint: not at all) if I was paying that much less for stuff, while paying much lower taxes- gas prices. Holy crap. I hear so much whining about $4 gas. Gas prices right now in Nova Scotia work out to almost $5/gallon for regular.- gas mileage - so much better in the US! I got 33mpg in the US and closer to 25 in Canada, all highway driving. The reason? Road grading. So - I'm driving on cruise control. When there's a steep hill, the car slows down of course, and the car needs to push into a higher gear to maintain speed up the hill. During the entire time I was in the US, my car dipped by enough speed to need a higher gear exactly 0 times. For the Canada part of my drive, this happens every few miles, and regularly revs up over 5000 rpm if you don't manipulate it.- The Olive Garden has delicious, inexpensive food. I never get tired of the ginormous portions in touristy places like Bangor. I don't think two of us could have finished one entree.- Canadian border guards need to work on their math. I had to pay duty (15%) on over $700 in purchases. She calculated this to be $35. I stupidly asked a question that made her recheck her math. Still $35. I don't know how someone could come to a calculation of $35 being 15% of $700 without wondering if they missed a digit, but I'm sad this person is tasked with protecting our borders.- Seriously though, wtf. Duty? For buying stuff in the US? I'm not reselling anything, give me a break. Jerks.- Brett Lawrie, the highest-ever drafted Canadian MLB player is starting tonight for the Toronto Blue Jays. You should all be watching. I will be, after moving date night to tomorrow. Sorry Dale.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys, Pretty good chance I will be in Toronto for a night in November. What is a good hotel to stay in that is preferrably walking distance from ACC and perferably <$150/night?

regarding the nuggets. How about that's why Americans are so fat? And if it's $1 for 4 then people just buy more than that. Who can only eat four nuggets to be satisfied? They're too good.rehearsal and rehearsal dinner at Portillo's. woooooooooo

The guys scored the westin harbour castlebfor 80 a night on hotwire. Give hotwire a shot just be exact on location and star quality. It was hotwire right guys.Danny certain goods are duty free so thats why it came to 35 bucks. One of the weird ones is pots and dishes i think corningware? Not sure the spelling but it sounds like that.

Hey Guys, Pretty good chance I will be in Toronto for a night in November. What is a good hotel to stay in that is preferrably walking distance from ACC and perferably <$150/night?
That is easy. Westin Harbour Castle. If you are having trouble getting a room for less than that, let me know. I have an uncle who works there.BTW, I am a 10 min drive away.
regarding the nuggets. How about that's why Americans are so fat? And if it's $1 for 4 then people just buy more than that. Who can only eat four nuggets to be satisfied? They're too good.rehearsal and rehearsal dinner at Portillo's. woooooooooo
Have fun this weekend and congrats.
I just got 4 with my double hamburger combo. Perfect little touchup.
The guys scored the westin harbour castlebfor 80 a night on hotwire. Give hotwire a shot just be exact on location and star quality. It was hotwire right guys.Danny certain goods are duty free so thats why it came to 35 bucks. One of the weird ones is pots and dishes i think corningware? Not sure the spelling but it sounds like that.
Nope, it was over $700 worth of duty-eligible stuff. She just missed the 1 and typed in 5%. Twice. I watched it.
I just got 4 with my double hamburger combo. Perfect little touchup.Nope, it was over $700 worth of duty-eligible stuff. She just missed the 1 and typed in 5%. Twice. I watched it.
Don't forget these border guys are like 20 year old college educated schmucks who think they can ruin your life.Danny shop for your kiddie clothes down south. You will save a ton. Also lay off the McDs.
Haha, forgot this was your wedding, not someone else's. Woohoo! Pretend we were all organized and generous and sent your fiancee this:http://www.buydiscountjerseys.com/image/ca...sey-120x120.jpgIs the wedding tomorrow? I can't believe we haven't talked about this. What songs did you choose? What is your favour? What's for dinner? WHAT ARE YOUR COLOURS.
Don't forget these border guys are like 20 year old college educated schmucks who think they can ruin your life.Danny shop for your kiddie clothes down south. You will save a ton. Also lay off the McDs.
This one was a tough-looking check in a bullet-proof vest. We were down there shopping for kid stuff. Got the rocking chair, diaper bag, and a bunch of other stuff. Will be down again in September for the crib, stroller and car seat hopefully. Not too worried about clothes. It's the first grandchild for both families, so they'll be lots of clothes sent. We're making bi-weekly trips to Value Village as a stress reliever, where $20 buys a dozen outfits.I also bought a beanbag chair for $15, and am very much enjoying it.I hate trying to prepare food while travelling. We did well to find a Great Canadian Bagel on the first day, so mostly lived off bagels and cream cheese. Yes, I am jewish.
Haha, forgot this was your wedding, not someone else's. Woohoo! Pretend we were all organized and generous and sent your fiancee this:http://www.buydiscountjerseys.com/image/ca...sey-120x120.jpgIs the wedding tomorrow? I can't believe we haven't talked about this. What songs did you choose? What is your favour? What's for dinner? WHAT ARE YOUR COLOURS.
yep tomorrow afternoon. We gave the DJ a list of 20-30 songs either must play or play if there's time. Lots of them are 90s songs that I still think are amazing. Yeah, Savage Garden is on there. We're giving out poker chips and a deck of cards with a pic of us on the back of each card. Dinner: either opal basil chicken or prime rib. I'll be having a little of both. Colors: purple. That's all I really think of but there has to be another color, doesn't there? God, I'm so clueless.

There is such thing as Great Canadian Bagel? I had no clue. I'm assuming it's like Great American Bagel? I'm so clueless when it comes to Canada. Maybe I should cross the border sometime.

There is such thing as Great Canadian Bagel? I had no clue. I'm assuming it's like Great American Bagel? I'm so clueless when it comes to Canada. Maybe I should cross the border sometime.
No dude, not worth it.
This one was a tough-looking check in a bullet-proof vest. We were down there shopping for kid stuff. Got the rocking chair, diaper bag, and a bunch of other stuff. Will be down again in September for the crib, stroller and car seat hopefully. Not too worried about clothes. It's the first grandchild for both families, so they'll be lots of clothes sent. We're making bi-weekly trips to Value Village as a stress reliever, where $20 buys a dozen outfits.I also bought a beanbag chair for $15, and am very much enjoying it.I hate trying to prepare food while travelling. We did well to find a Great Canadian Bagel on the first day, so mostly lived off bagels and cream cheese. Yes, I am jewish.
You get this stuff during the baby shower. Don't buy that stuff. BTW, Goodwill will not accept any baby items (Strollers, cribs, etc). People dump this stuff after they are done. At garage sales, people are giving them away.I must be Jewish too. When we travel, we always just get bagels for breakfast.My wife is a shopalic. She needs to shop anywhere in the States. Vegas nearly killed her because she could not buy anything. On our way back from NYC, we had to stop off at an outlet (for 3 damn hours) for her to shop. I just let her grab the kids and I fell asleep for a hour until the heat got to me.
You know, I have never been in one.
You get this stuff during the baby shower. Don't buy that stuff. BTW, Goodwill will not accept any baby items (Strollers, cribs, etc). People dump this stuff after they are done. At garage sales, people are giving them away.
Exactly. We are not buying anything like that till after the shower where we hope to get all the cool stuff. The only things we have bought so far are books.
yep tomorrow afternoon. We gave the DJ a list of 20-30 songs either must play or play if there's time. Lots of them are 90s songs that I still think are amazing. Yeah, Savage Garden is on there. We're giving out poker chips and a deck of cards with a pic of us on the back of each card. Dinner: either opal basil chicken or prime rib. I'll be having a little of both. Colors: purple. That's all I really think of but there has to be another color, doesn't there? God, I'm so clueless.
That is pretty awesome. All of it. Yes, there should be another colour, but its probably black or white or something, so no big.I hope Blackstreet will also be on the playlist, as well as "Pony."
There's a Great American Bagel? It's just a normal place where us jews go for cream cheese. Last time I tried their chocolate chip bagel and it was excellent.
You get this stuff during the baby shower. Don't buy that stuff. BTW, Goodwill will not accept any baby items (Strollers, cribs, etc). People dump this stuff after they are done. At garage sales, people are giving them away.I must be Jewish too. When we travel, we always just get bagels for breakfast.My wife is a shopalic. She needs to shop anywhere in the States. Vegas nearly killed her because she could not buy anything. On our way back from NYC, we had to stop off at an outlet (for 3 damn hours) for her to shop. I just let her grab the kids and I fell asleep for a hour until the heat got to me.
A few of those things have already been promised to us by various relatives, but we're just going to go buy what we want and they'll pay us back. Good to know about Goodwill though. We don't know the gender yet, so I'm trying to limit what we buy that is actually for the baby. Neither of us are big into pink or blue though, so we're happy with gender-neutral.Actually saw the baby yesterday - we are getting gender determination done at one of those 3D ultrasound places, and my wife sweet-talked them into letting us come in for an extra free viewing a few weeks early. It was pretty unreal. I wasn't expecting it to look human yet. So far, looks like a mix between Homer Simpson and Darth Vader.If someone would do me a giant favour and check the FCBL spreadsheet for how much cap/room I have left, I would appreciat eit. Goddamn work firewall. I think I'm at $100 with $0.25 free?
Exactly. We are not buying anything like that till after the shower where we hope to get all the cool stuff. The only things we have bought so far are books.
I got some little hockey equipment if you want it. My girls don't want to play hockey. The only thing I will be keeping are the helmets.
Holy crap, I forgot about that. We bought a ton of books from the American Walmart. All the normal ones - Berenstain Bears, Dr Seuss, etc. We were also buying for another couple - in total, we bought almost 40 books for about $100. Every single one of those books would have cost $8-12 each here. The exact same book that was for sale (not on sale) for $2-3 there would be about $10 in a book store here, and not available at Walmart.

Thanks for the Hotel tip guys. I wish I was there for a bit longer, a hockey forum meetup for drinks would be fun! Alas, we are only in toronto for one night, hopefully going to the Kanye west/Jay Z concert at the ACC november 23rd. Emily's parents live in Stirling, so we will be off bright and early the next day to spend a few days with them.2 other questions:1. How long is the Cab ride from Toronto Airport to ACC? I'm pretty sure a buddy will offer to pick us up, but I'd prefer not to bother him on a workday in the morning.2. Are any of you on a mailing list for Ticketmaster and able to get presale codes for concerts in the GTA? Emily gets them for concerts in Alberta, but not for anything in Ontario. I'd prefer to get my tickets before they go on sale to the public on August 8th, so I don't have to pay inflated prices on Stub Hub if I miss out.

Nice, congrats. We are working out the music for our wedding, and the bride and I had an interesting discussion. I love great old music, and I thought Marvin Gaye was mandatory. So I suggested 'Lets Get It On'. Classic motown. My girl says, no way. Reason? Because then her dad will be thinking about us having sex. Um.... :club:
Thanks for the Hotel tip guys. I wish I was there for a bit longer, a hockey forum meetup for drinks would be fun! Alas, we are only in toronto for one night, hopefully going to the Kanye west/Jay Z concert at the ACC november 23rd. Emily's parents live in Stirling, so we will be off bright and early the next day to spend a few days with them.2 other questions:1. How long is the Cab ride from Toronto Airport to ACC? I'm pretty sure a buddy will offer to pick us up, but I'd prefer not to bother him on a workday in the morning.2. Are any of you on a mailing list for Ticketmaster and able to get presale codes for concerts in the GTA? Emily gets them for concerts in Alberta, but not for anything in Ontario. I'd prefer to get my tickets before they go on sale to the public on August 8th, so I don't have to pay inflated prices on Stub Hub if I miss out.
Cab ride is about 30 mins. Cost is around $50 I think.I was on the mailing list for Leafs tickets but not concerts. Let me check into that.

Danny kids stuff is all duty free. I am a pro at cross border shopping its really the only time I shop. I know exactly how much to buy without getting harrased. A nice bagel with cream cheese and lox is the best morning sandwich. Has to be ny style bagel not a fan of the montreal sweeter stuff. I grew up in a jewish area with all the best bagel shops in the city. Bagel World is the best Have fun at the wedding where you going for the honeymoon?