The Official 2010 Election Thread

I think it's for the same reason that all politicians from all parties are power-hungry egotistical freaks -- it's a self-selecting process. The only people who are insane enough to put themselves through the grinder of getting elected are people who really, really want power.As far as the rank-and-file Tea Party, according to several different studies, it seems to be almost a 50/50 split between neocons and libertarians. Apparently only the neocons can be bothered to put their name in the hat and mount a campaign.
this.....this is probably correct. broccoli.
  • Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for the record, I'm not one that thinks the Tea Parties are going to change politics forever. If they ever get any success at reducing government, most people will go back to their lives and forget all about it, and those that remain will be faced with the "what next" question: is it a socially conservative war-mongering group, or a socially liberal peace-loving group? That will be the end of them until next time progressives overstep the bounds of common sense.

the republican candidate for governor of MN is fucking hilarioushttp://blip.tv/file/4315657"well, that's great [condescending nod]"also dayton claps like... well, I'll let you draw the conclusion
my friend keeps sending me these links and what can I say, they're entertaining
Minnesota has three viable parties, and this year, all three governor candidates stink. I'm staying home because I can't get motivated to even cast a protest vote against these clowns. I have been invited to Horner's election night party, though.

Looks like Angle v Reid will be the best race of the day (and a good litmus test in general). The FL governor race is important to me and should come down to the wire (I voted this morning solely because of this race).Any other hotly contested battles to watch out there?

Looks like Angle v Reid will be the best race of the day (and a good litmus test in general). The FL governor race is important to me and should come down to the wire (I voted this morning solely because of this race).Any other hotly contested battles to watch out there?
I think the Alaska Senate race is an interesting one.Can you spell Murkowski ? If you can't then you can't vote for her.
i1fvr9.jpgRepublicans are Clear Underdogs to Flip Senate"While Republicans retain a plausible path toward taking control of the Senate on Tuesday night, it would involve their winning at least two seats in which they appear to be underdogs, while simultaneously avoiding upsets in several other races in which they are narrowly favored."
Yeah, that's what I saw too. Looks like the GOP might win the House emphatically though.Funny blurb from the Miami Herald's main Dolphins columnist (showing how the FL governor race has everyone on edge):POLITICAL THOUGHT FOR ELECTION DAY: Fellow Floridians I'll say this quickly and leave it to you to consider or curse as inappropriate the mention in a (mostly) sports blog: Rarely in my voting life have I seen a more clear choice for governor. Rick Scott flat-out scares me. Good lord.
The way I understand it is, if you don't vote you lose your right to complain. I think that's a law?
I haven't done my research. have you looked at the kansas "races"? the dems aren't even trying. it is a total waste of time.

I was thinking about my bitching re: voter demographics and briefly thought about putting on pants. called my mom and asked her what the deal was on registration, whether I needed to bring ID or anything. she was like, "no, you just write your name on the ballot. very lax." the pants are staying off.

I was thinking about my bitching re: voter demographics and briefly thought about putting on pants. called my mom and asked her what the deal was on registration, whether I needed to bring ID or anything. she was like, "no, you just write your name on the ballot. very lax." the pants are staying off.
Haha
I haven't done my research. have you looked at the kansas "races"? the dems aren't even trying. it is a total waste of time.
atta boy...that is beautiful music. keep it coming.
atta boy...that is beautiful music. keep it coming.
You guys will control half of congress after today! beautiful music!Two years for the country to see how ineffectual the GOP is when they are not the opposition party and remember why they voted them out in the first place. Huzzah!

UPDATE: I had some errands to run (mcrib premiered today) so I stopped by to vote. my district votes at a middle school and it was obv during lunch, so the kids were all yelling at me to vote for bush.I was wrong on the demographics thing. definitely tracking that shit, which makes me happy that I decided to get a mcrib. I voted for parity.

You guys will control half of congress after today! beautiful music!Two years for the country to see how ineffectual the GOP is when they are not the opposition party and remember why they voted them out in the first place. Huzzah!
HaHa..the situation in the country is probably at a near low, so it an only go up. With the republicans taking this spot, they can claim full victory for any improvements, and if the country stays the same, the dems still control the WH and the Senate ( maybe ) so we can run on their bad record again.We are the ones in position to capitalize the most on the next 2 years.What we do with that in 2012 when we take over the house, senate and WH is anyone's guess.Hopefully President Palin and Speaker DeBolt and Senate Leader O'Donnell will do their best..cause their best is all we can really hope for, isn't it?
HaHa..the situation in the country is probably at a near low, so it an only go up. With the republicans taking this spot, they can claim full victory for any improvements, and if the country stays the same, the dems still control the WH and the Senate ( maybe ) so we can run on their bad record again.We are the ones in position to capitalize the most on the next 2 years.What we do with that in 2012 when we take over the house, senate and WH is anyone's guess.Hopefully President Palin and Speaker DeBolt and Senate Leader O'Donnell will do their best..cause their best is all we can really hope for, isn't it?
Lots of laughs in this post!O'Donnell will be unemployed tomorrow just like she was before they dragged her off a street corner to run.I would prefer my $100 on Full Tilt if you have an account on there. I contemplated sending it to Obama's 2012 campaign but that's too much.
Lots of laughs in this post!O'Donnell will be unemployed tomorrow just like she was before they dragged her off a street corner to run.I would prefer my $100 on Full Tilt if you have an account on there. I contemplated sending it to Obama's 2012 campaign but that's too much.
Yea, let's be clear, I would never make you send money to a political campaign because of the years of mailers asking for more money, which I wouldn't even wish on a democrat...2nd, you haven't won yet.C. Will O'Donnell get picked up by Fox? Side bet?
oh man, I forgot to mention, one of the state issues was whether to allow the mentally ill to vote. holy. shit.
Pick one:1. Thought you said you already voted?2. Man those democrats sure are trying to stuff their membership numbers3. So you're saying Obama has a chance for a 2nd term?4. This is all part of the republican plan to take all elections away from democrats by first creating the argument that you must be at least 'this' smart to vote. Then we raise that number to an IQ of 80, and Whammy, 100% republican house and Senate!!!!