Possible Fantasy Trade

I have decision i am hoping advice for from the experts on here...In the NGFHL I am signing Phil Kessel to a long term contract ...I also have Tyler Bozak..I picked him up real cheap and his contract is $20(for those that dont know our salary cap is $1000) so its a very good contract...I have been offered Sam Gagner even up for him...Gagner's contract is $48 $53 $58 if I choose to sign him for the three years..I am very high on Tyler Bozak, and wanted an a non bias view on him. He will be getting a ton of ice time this year, even if the Leafs pull off some trade to get another centre..He will play pp and top line minutes with Kessel..His numbers last year were very impressive in less than half a season..Does Gagner have any more upside or is the 40-50 pts the most we will see from him like the first 3 years of his career?This is one option I have, the other option would be to hold on to Bozak and trade him after the draft or during the season for a one year player like Ovechkin,Crosby or Kovalchuk..Appreciate all serious answers.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very high on Tyler Bozak, and wanted an a non bias view on him. He will be getting a ton of ice time this year, even if the Leafs pull off some trade to get another centre..He will play pp and top line minutes with Kessel..His numbers last year were very impressive in less than half a season..Does Gagner have any more upside or is the 40-50 pts the most we will see from him like the first 3 years of his career?This is one option I have, the other option would be to hold on to Bozak and trade him after the draft or during the season for a one year player like Ovechkin,Crosby or Kovalchuk...
Sam Gagner vs Tyler Bozak?They are both assist first centers so neither will be superstuds but it does make them easier to evaluate. Both will likely overachieve in the next while because of the lack of centers in their respective teams. However, I think going forward Gagner has the higher upside (and is a buy low candidate atm) and fits more into the teams long term plans.For Bozak I think he will do fairly well next year because of circumstances but I doubt he could land a top of the line rental (unless Kovy is off in the KHL for a year). Do seriously think he'll be the top line center 2-4 years from now or will he drop to 2nd/3rd line duty?
Sam Gagner vs Tyler Bozak?They are both assist first centers so neither will be superstuds but it does make them easier to evaluate. Both will likely overachieve in the next while because of the lack of centers in their respective teams. However, I think going forward Gagner has the higher upside (and is a buy low candidate atm) and fits more into the teams long term plans.For Bozak I think he will do fairly well next year because of circumstances but I doubt he could land a top of the line rental (unless Kovy is off in the KHL for a year). Do seriously think he'll be the top line center 2-4 years from now or will he drop to 2nd/3rd line duty?
I just realized the other thing to consider in this is that I have Dustin Penner signed fairly cheap in Edmonton...I think Bozak will do really well this year, and unless the Leafs land a top line centre and Kadri overachieves right away, he should get 60 pts this year...Again thats a pretty lofty goal for him, but if he can perform in games that count for over a full year its not a stretch.Gagner is tougher to gauge

Having watched a lot of Leafs and Oilers games last year, I think it is pretty close.On a shift to shift basis, Bozak was much more of an 'impact' player last year than Gagne. Bozak was noticeable most of the time he was on the ice, Gagne dissapeared for long periods of time.With that said, I see a lot of things I like with Gagne. He has the speed, hands, and vision to be a solid NHL player, he just needs to learn how to apply himself at an NHL level.I think Bozak is ahead of Gagne right now, but he is also 2 year older, Gagne probably has a higher upside.What are the contract rules like in your league? can you re-sign Bozak at a similar multi-year contract? I'd take Bozak at $20 over Gagne at $50. Contracts aside, I think it's a toss up.Another thing to consider is Bozak is definitely part of the Leafs core moving forward, and unless he really screws up, he'll be here for a few years at least. Gagne is part of the 'old failed core' in edmonton (with cogliano, smid, nash etc..) and I don't think any of those guys are seen as major building blocks going forward anymore. The fact that he plays center will help, but he isn't going to be given every chance to succeed anymore if he continues to struggle.

I'd be worried about Bozak hitting a wall about half-way through the season, to be honest.He's a college-bred player, which means he's never played a full 82 game season. He was quite good last year, but only played a bit at the end, and didn't have the time to hit that wall.My guess is he starts off pretty hot, Serge makes a bunch of bets on what his total points will be, and then he hits the wall and loses significant steam and Serge breaks 7 remotes, loses hundreds of dollars, and so on.Now, having said that, I don't know enough about him to gauge a longer term potential, just my thoughts on this upcoming season.Gagner had a pretty high ceiling when he was drafted, but he really hasn't done much, albeit with garbage teams. He's quite underwhelmed me, but that potential is still in there somewhere, as he's obviously still very young.If it's close, or slightly on Gagner's side, I stick with Bozak, for homerism. I'd need it to be pretty clearly Gagne, to make this trade. :club: It might be, but I don't know.

I would take Gagner. Reason is he has the opportunity to play with Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi and Dubey's brother. Leafs only have Kessel right now.

I have decision i am hoping advice for from the experts on here...In the NGFHL I am signing Phil Kessel to a long term contract ...I also have Tyler Bozak..I picked him up real cheap and his contract is $20(for those that dont know our salary cap is $1000) so its a very good contract...I have been offered Sam Gagner even up for him...Gagner's contract is $48 $53 $58 if I choose to sign him for the three years..I am very high on Tyler Bozak, and wanted an a non bias view on him. He will be getting a ton of ice time this year, even if the Leafs pull off some trade to get another centre..He will play pp and top line minutes with Kessel..His numbers last year were very impressive in less than half a season..Does Gagner have any more upside or is the 40-50 pts the most we will see from him like the first 3 years of his career?This is one option I have, the other option would be to hold on to Bozak and trade him after the draft or during the season for a one year player like Ovechkin,Crosby or Kovalchuk..Appreciate all serious answers.
- what exactly are the contracts?Gagner: $48, $53, $58. can you resign?Bozak: $20...then how much for for how long?- you say you have Penner, but you also have Kessel. Id go for the player with a possible best trade market value, or trade the other guy on the team. In this case, Id look to trade Penner+Bozak and keep Gagner+Kessel.- I would probably go with Gagner, because right now Bozaks value is a little inflated IMO (based on a great season end that he prob wont be able to keep up full term) and Gagner's value might, MIGHT, be at an all time low (coming off another dissapointing year, and the whole team looking anemic). I like Gagner, think Bozak could also be very good, but the safer bet in this situation is probably Gagner. But it sounds like Bozak has a better contract, so it makes it a closer call. Based on what I know of the two, Id still go Gagner. Seems like a possible year 4 breakout for SG this year.

It also depends on whether or not you believe what the leaf players have been told: there aren't any more moves planned for now for the leafs. If that's the case, then Bozak's value stays overinflated. If they get a top line centre (who might be a second or even third liner on another team), then Bozak will lose a LOT of points without Kessel...

I think Bozak will do really well this year, and unless the Leafs land a top line centre and Kadri overachieves right away, he should get 60 pts this year...Again thats a pretty lofty goal for him, but if he can perform in games that count for over a full year its not a stretch.
Right but my concern with flipping Bozak for a high end-rental; arguably Bozak's value is more short-term than long-term.
It also depends on whether or not you believe what the leaf players have been told: there aren't any more moves planned for now for the leafs. If that's the case, then Bozak's value stays overinflated. If they get a top line centre (who might be a second or even third liner on another team), then Bozak will lose a LOT of points without Kessel...
some consider bozak to be a jamie benn/cody mcleod type player
- what exactly are the contracts?Gagner: $48, $53, $58. can you resign?Bozak: $20...then how much for for how long?- you say you have Penner, but you also have Kessel. Id go for the player with a possible best trade market value, or trade the other guy on the team. In this case, Id look to trade Penner+Bozak and keep Gagner+Kessel.- I would probably go with Gagner, because right now Bozaks value is a little inflated IMO (based on a great season end that he prob wont be able to keep up full term) and Gagner's value might, MIGHT, be at an all time low (coming off another dissapointing year, and the whole team looking anemic). I like Gagner, think Bozak could also be very good, but the safer bet in this situation is probably Gagner. But it sounds like Bozak has a better contract, so it makes it a closer call. Based on what I know of the two, Id still go Gagner. Seems like a possible year 4 breakout for SG this year.
Bozak is only signable this year and then his contract will be determined next year...he may have a great season and it goes up..Still working on this.

Hey Dale, I'll take that flames/leafs bet.I'll take the 'under' for $30. Leafs will finish less than 10 points behind the flames, regular season points. correct?

Hey Dale, I'll take that flames/leafs bet.I'll take the 'under' for $30. Leafs will finish less than 10 points behind the flames, regular season points. correct?
Deal for $30If the Flames finish 11 points or more ahead of the Leafs then I win.If the Flames finish exactly 10 points ahead of the Leafs then we push.Anything else and you win.Deal?

booked.I owe you $30, this can be double or nothing if you'd like. Alternatively, I can ship you $30 and we can clear this bet up after the season. up to you.

booked.I owe you $30, this can be double or nothing if you'd like. Alternatively, I can ship you $30 and we can clear this bet up after the season. up to you.
We can make this double or nothing.
  • 11 months later...

I'd like some help in a possible fantasy trade. It's a work pool, but the person involved is the one other guy who knows what he is doing.Settings are G, A, P, PPP, GWG. Every team keeps 6 players every year, though that may drop to 5 in the future. You don't keep the same 6, so keeping older players isn't a big deal, since it is only a 1-year commitment. Rosters are reasonably shallow.I can choose from the following:Nicklas Backstrom (WSH) - 18/47/65Alex Burrows - 26/22/48Mike Cammalleri - 19-28/47Tyler Ennis - 20/29/49Michael Grabner - 34/18/52Phil Kessel 32/32/64Kulemin - 30/27/57Selanne - 31/49/80Skinner - 31/32/63Mike Green - 8/16/24Mark Streit - DNPShea Weber - 16/32/48James Wisniewski - 10/41/51I have been offered this trade:Backstrom and SkinnerforKovalchuk - 31/29/60Nash - 32/34/66Doughty - 11/29/40Question 1 - who do you keep?Question 2 - Do you make the trade? His roster is a lot thinner than mine, so I could probably snag something else in the deal from him, but lets pretend I can't.

I'd like some help in a possible fantasy trade. It's a work pool, but the person involved is the one other guy who knows what he is doing.Settings are G, A, P, PPP, GWG. Every team keeps 6 players every year, though that may drop to 5 in the future. You don't keep the same 6, so keeping older players isn't a big deal, since it is only a 1-year commitment. Rosters are reasonably shallow.I can choose from the following:Nicklas Backstrom (WSH) - 18/47/65Alex Burrows - 26/22/48Mike Cammalleri - 19-28/47Tyler Ennis - 20/29/49Michael Grabner - 34/18/52Phil Kessel 32/32/64Kulemin - 30/27/57Selanne - 31/49/80Skinner - 31/32/63Mike Green - 8/16/24Mark Streit - DNPShea Weber - 16/32/48James Wisniewski - 10/41/51I have been offered this trade:Backstrom and SkinnerforKovalchuk - 31/29/60Nash - 32/34/66Doughty - 11/29/40Question 1 - who do you keep?Question 2 - Do you make the trade? His roster is a lot thinner than mine, so I could probably snag something else in the deal from him, but lets pretend I can't.
I'd keep Backstrom/Kessel/Cammaleri/Green/Weber and either skinner or Kulemin from your lineup.No brainer to accept that trade. Skinner is a borderline keeper at best. You are getting 3 solid keepers in return.post trade I'd keep Kovalchuk/Kessel/Cammaleri/DOughty/Green/Weber
No brainer to accept that trade. Skinner is a borderline keeper at best. You are getting 3 solid keepers in return.
Totally agree, it's not even close. Pretrade, keep:Backstom, Green, Weber, Kessel, Skinner, and either Selanne if he resigns or Grabner if he doesn't. Posttrade, keep:Kovalchuk, Nash, Doughty, Weber, Green, KesselThere isn't a chance I drop Nash after trading for him...especially right before the season he finally gets to skate with a real top-line center.
I'd keep Backstrom/Kessel/Cammaleri/Green/Weber and either skinner or Kulemin from your lineup.No brainer to accept that trade. Skinner is a borderline keeper at best. You are getting 3 solid keepers in return.post trade I'd keep Kovalchuk/Kessel/Cammaleri/DOughty/Green/Weber
Post-trade you aren't including Nash. Do you keep him and leave off Cammalleri?I'd be inclined to keep Selanne, if he comes back. The deadline to declare isn't for awhile. Anyone I don't keep is back in the roster pool, so I could easily take one or more of Skinner/Kulemin/Ennis in the first round.
Post-trade you aren't including Nash. Do you keep him and leave off Cammalleri?I'd be inclined to keep Selanne, if he comes back. The deadline to declare isn't for awhile. Anyone I don't keep is back in the roster pool, so I could easily take one or more of Skinner/Kulemin/Ennis in the first round.
yes sorry, I just realized that, I boot Cammaleri and Keep nash. I also boot Kessel and Keep Selanne if he re-signs.