Recreation Hockey League

The pro-contact argument should be -- they should learn how to check, protect themselves, etc when they are smaller and slower. [i'd sign it]

Ya, that argument also makes me scratch my head.

Because a professional does it, and one in like 10,000 of these kids might become an NHL'er, we should get them all ready for the rigors of pro hockey by jeopardizing their health?

I dont know, Im not a hockey coach, and I havent been around a lot of little kids who play hockey, but it seems like a silly argument to me.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are some moments in your sons life that they will never forget and will grow from.   This weekend Adrian’s team was playing for the Northern California championships. In the final game they p

Adrian’s team is now California State Champions. Some epic things happened all weekend that I’ll post about later.   Before the final game they played ONLY the Canadian national anthem in honor of

Too bad your kid still isn't playing in Canada serge, I just found out I was picked and I'll be wearing the bands for the major peewee AAA finals of the BCC at the Canadian Tire Centre on New Years Da

As a hockey fan though if we take out hitting in minor hockey, how will it affect the current NHL game. Do we want hitting out of hockey?

I know my kid isnt going to play in the NHL, so why should we have him hitting when he is 11 years old. However as a hockey fan will you/me enjoy the game we love without hitting?

Because thats where we will end up eventually...

I dont give a flying fck if the NHL is completely ruined and I never watch a game again. If it means my kids health, I dont care at all about how it affects the NHL game.

Frankly, if it means your kids health, or Chris' or Dale's, Im also fine with hockey going down the tubes. I dont want to feel like Im watching a sport that has kids getting hurt at 8years old, or kids quitting at 11 because they dont like getting hit. Let it be the NHL's problem.

To me, its as archaic as no face shields. Im sure there's some moron somewhere coaching 8yr olds who thinks they shouldnt be wearing face shields cause they would be better players and might make the NHL.

• Like 1

I started hitting in peewee... I would have been what, 13? Maybe 12? Maybe I was bigger than most kids, but there were still those giants that terrified me on the ice. I was never very strong for my size anyways (also, I was never as 'thick' as I am now).

I don't know. I never got injured in hockey, and never really saw kids get injured. I barely remember kids missing time due to injury. If they did, it was a broken leg or arm or something. Not sure how much body contact had to do with those.

I guess this is before concussions were really a thing. I don't think I ever got one. I remember getting laid out from time to time. I remember laying kids out from time to time.

I don't know. I'm not a parent, so maybe my view is different, but my experiences as a minor hockey player are that I liked where we introduced hitting. The biggest problem, and really, you have this at all age levels, kids grow at different rates, so you could have a 6 foot 13 year old playing against a 4'11" 12 year old and things get dicey.

Having coached peewee and Midget hockey, I can say that the Size difference between the kids at the age where hitting is introduced is borderline dangerous, and makes the game not fun for a lot of kids, in my opinion.

I guess this is before concussions were really a thing. I don't think I ever got one.

This would usually be where I rest my case. :)

I don't know. I never got injured in hockey, and never really saw kids get injured. I barely remember kids missing time due to injury. If they did, it was a broken leg or arm or something. Not sure how much body contact had to do with those.

This could be, and its true I am just guessing, no first hand experience. But this is also where Dubey's line hold a lot of weight, and I have read that from him before too.

The worst injury that ever happened to me in minor hockey was breaking my hand... when I punched the glass (wearing my glove) on my way off the ice after being assessed a match penalty (auto 3 game suspension) for spearing, when I was the one who got speared.

But that's not the point I'm making... the worst hockey-based injury I've sustained (not including my separated shoulder or torn rotator cuff (the ER and the physiotherapist disagreed), which happened in non-contact men's league), I would say were times where I had the wind knocked out of me. Scariest 5 seconds ever, but no long term effects at all. Happened maybe a half-dozen times in my life. Obviously some bruises and cuts and some minor sore backs after some hits from behind, etc, but I never once went to the hospital, or missed time due to an injury.

In fact, I spent my 3-game suspension in a regular cast, then played the following game in a fiberglass cast... I could barely grip the top of my stick with my right hand, and I scored a hat trick! :)

My story has no point with regards to the relevance of body contact in minor hockey.

What if we introduced body checking only at say AA or AAA levels? Left it out of house league? Only problem there, I guess, is people coming up from house to AA, AAA, etc after maturing, getting better, then they're behind the curve for contact and probably in some danger.

I think that is reasonable, keeping it at AA and AAA.

Although, I do remember watching one of my brother's AAA games, and Mike Green was on the other team, and he absolutely destroyed a kid on my brother's team with a "clean" hit. KNocked him unconscious, didn't play for the rest of the year. Basically ended his career. He played again, but four or five years later he was on my Junior C team, and was our worst player by far.

In fact, I spent my 3-game suspension in a regular cast, then played the following game in a fiberglass cast... I could barely grip the top of my stick with my right hand, and I scored a hat trick! :)

I should note that these 3 games happened over the course of a weekend, as we were in regionals (we somehow won without me (leading scorer!)), and then came back less than a week after that... with a freshly broken hand! HAT TRICK, you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Just when you thought Adrian's season was over....The tryout season is starting tonight.

Tonight we are going out to the Ajax-Pickering AAA Raiders tryouts. The likelihood of Adrian making this team is VERY VERY small, however we have been advised it doesnt hurt to go out and see what happens. Also there seems to be a shortage of goalies in the system, so you never know...

I dont think Adrian is ready for Triple A anyways even if he was good enough...Its a lot more serious, and a lot more commitment...

Its a pretty high level and he still needs a lot more coaching and practice...

While he did well this year in the Tyke B loop, he isnt ready to jump 3 levels of hockey to AAA...But we are going for the icetime and the practice.

Its a very tough time of year as the tryouts are happening one after the other...First AAA, then AA then A, then AE...

Lot of times coaches have already decided their teams, and unless a kid really stands out, its hard to change their mind.

The Ninja Turtles are 3-0 in the round robin portion of the playoffs, including a decisive win over one of the top 2 teams last week. Tonight is the final round robin game, and we're guaranteed to be 2nd, at worst, out of our 8 team division. With a win, we'll lock up 1st place heading into the semi's. Top 4 teams advance and play a single elimination bracket.

There's one team in this division that has been purely dominant all year (they should have been bumped up for the playoffs, but our league is inept and don't follow their own rules), but we won't need to face them until the division finals, assuming we win in the semi's. After the division finals, we would play against the winner of the East division for the half keg of beer!

What I'm trying to say, is we're 4 wins away from winning. LET'S DO THIS.

Also, most of the team played in a tournament on the weekend, minus me and a couple others... the boys took it down.

Ya we won the Molson Canada Cup. A bunch of us (11) entered a weekend tourney in Ottawa. I haven't played in a tourney since I was like a kid, so it was a lot of fun. Most of the other teams had the full 15, but we wanted ice time, so we only played 11. We were down to 10, after one of the guys hurt his knee in the first game. Lots of free beer, pizza, chicken wings, and rounds of golf for prizes. Very well run tournament. They even had free massages after each game too.

We actually had fans come to our hockey game for the first time in like two years, lol. A bunch of the girlfriends came out and even took a few of the pictures that are up on facebook.

Big game tonight tho in Kanata, I think we're short a couple guys. So more ice time, yayyyyy.

In any event, I'm heading to the rink in a minute because I'm bored and anxious. If we win, we play the winner of the game in front of ours, so going to do some advanced scouting.

#lowlevelrecleague

Ya we won the Molson Canada Cup. A bunch of us (11) entered a weekend tourney in Ottawa. I haven't played in a tourney since I was like a kid, so it was a lot of fun. Most of the other teams had the full 15, but we wanted ice time, so we only played 11. We were down to 10, after one of the guys hurt his knee in the first game. Lots of free beer, pizza, chicken wings, and rounds of golf for prizes. Very well run tournament. They even had free massages after each game too.

We actually had fans come to our hockey game for the first time in like two years, lol. A bunch of the girlfriends came out and even took a few of the pictures that are up on facebook.

Big game tonight tho in Kanata, I think we're short a couple guys. So more ice time, yayyyyy.

I was invited to a couple of tournaments when I was younger and declined. Big mistake

So went to our first ever serious Novice AAA tryout yesterday. It was a little different than what we have been used to in Tyke B.

The triple A team in Pickering is joint with Ajax and they had about 50 kids show up for the first tryout. Which included 5 goalies including Adrian.

My goal for him during this process is to experience a real tryout, before the AA tryouts later in the week(the team he is probably more suitable for and has a better chance of making). I also didnt want him to look out of place and get discouraged.

The team will pick 15 skaters and two goalies. Surprisingly he did really well and did not look out of place at all... He survived the first round of cuts and will be back for Day 2 tonight.

Now i am not sure how many players got cut and most importantly how many goalies. However of the 5 kids that came out from his team 2 have already been cut.

The bigger dilemma we will probably have is what to do when and if he makes the AA team. Of course we all want our kid to play the highest level possible, but the more important thing at this age is that he develops and gets the proper coaching. The A coach has told me that he will have a dedicated goalie coach and his goal will be to make sure Adrian develops fully. The Double AA coach is a nice guy, but i really like the A coach better.

Him being the competitive kid he is(wonder where that came from) he thinks he has a shot to make even the AAA and would love to play AA..

The one thing that is paramount to me is that he has fun. Especially want to make sure ( I asked him EVERY DAY) that he wants to continue playing goalie. So far its been a good experience. We will see what happens if(most likely) he gets cut tonight.

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job managing his expectations and making sure what he's doing is fun for him, and to meet his own goals.

Playing AAA would be a great experience - being a AAA goalie in Ontario is a lot of stress and pressure for parent and kid, but he'll learn a lot about both those things. Doing that, in a supportive environment (good parents, non-crazy coach), can be really beneficial later in life.

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job managing his expectations and making sure what he's doing is fun for him, and to meet his own goals.

Playing AAA would be a great experience - being a AAA goalie in Ontario is a lot of stress and pressure for parent and kid, but he'll learn a lot about both those things. Doing that, in a supportive environment (good parents, non-crazy coach), can be really beneficial later in life.

Thanks..

Sure we joke about it, but I am realistic in my goals for him..As much as he thinks at this age he has a chance, he will not be playing professionally. But the friends he makes, the experiences he has he will always keep.

I know its a cliche, but there are SO MANY parents that think there 8 year old will be playing in the NHL. The numbers are just so stacked against that happening for every John Tavares and Steven Stamkos and PK Subban coming out of the GTA , there are 100000s of thousands of kids that never will play any level of professional hockey.

Thanks..

Sure we joke about it, but I am realistic in my goals for him..As much as he thinks at this age he has a chance, he will not be playing professionally. But the friends he makes, the experiences he has he will always keep.

I know its a cliche, but there are SO MANY parents that think there 8 year old will be playing in the NHL. The numbers are just so stacked against that happening for every John Tavares and Steven Stamkos and PK Subban coming out of the GTA , there are 100000s of thousands of kids that never will play any level of professional hockey.

You're absolutely right, of course. So many of the best people I know - personally and professionally - played high-level athletics when they were younger. Might be a chicken/egg situation, but so many of them have the drive and focus to be successful, while those who played team sports demonstrate incredible problem-solving and stress management skills.

Sure, it seems (and probably is) impossible for a kid who just picked up goalie to become a professional at it, but that environment can really positively effect a young person. Hell, who knows, if he is even acceptable at the AAA level in Ontario, no reason he couldn't parlay that into a scholarship at an American university that he might not otherwise have opportunities to attend.

Thanks..

Very true. I remember kids playing in our houseleague games and moving to A, AA and AAA. Now they are back at houseleague playing for the love of the game.

I went behind the bench this year since no one else volunteer. It was alot of fun since I kept jabbing at the kids all year calling them Colton Orr and Komi. The fun part was winning our houseleague championship.

First bit of adversity as expected Adrian got cut from the AAA team.. We didnt really think he would jump from Tyke B to Novice AAA, so he isnt really disappointed....But its always not cool to get cut...

AA is next starting Friday.

Sorry to hear that - getting cut always sucks, no matter how expected.

I remember getting cut from a rep soccer team when I was younger - I had only gone because a friend (the incumbent goalie) needed a ride. I had never played competitive soccer, and this was a top team. I was 11 and it was an under-14 team - I was the shortest guy there by 6 inches, and I acted as ballboy for most of the "tryout" because the skill level wasn't even comparable. Was nice of the coach even to bother to call me, and I was still (somehow) disappointed!

p.s. I ended up playing two years of house league soccer after, and the goal I scored during the tryout is still one of my proudest athletic achievements. Was a nice f'ing goal.

Adrian today signed his card to be the goalie of the Double A pickering panthers.

Very excited to be a part of this team. Basically jumping 3 levels in one year of goaltending is very good.

The A coach tried to talk us into playing for his team. But it makes no sense really. Adrian will have a dedicated goalie coach, bigger budget. More practices. Better skilled teammates and competition. While its not Triple A. It's still a very high level of rep hockey.

More travelling. Overnight tourneys.

There won't be too much over the summer. We start with a 3 day full 8 hour a day training camp in August.

He is overjoyed.