Recreation Hockey League

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are some moments in your sons life that they will never forget and will grow from.   This weekend Adrian’s team was playing for the Northern California championships. In the final game they p

Adrian’s team is now California State Champions. Some epic things happened all weekend that I’ll post about later.   Before the final game they played ONLY the Canadian national anthem in honor of

Too bad your kid still isn't playing in Canada serge, I just found out I was picked and I'll be wearing the bands for the major peewee AAA finals of the BCC at the Canadian Tire Centre on New Years Da

Just got our schedule for our best of 5 series vs Oshawa..

If somehow the series goes 5 games, the 5th game will be played in the General Motors Centre main rink..The rink where the Oshawa Generals play.

Seating Capacity of about 6000 people..

How amazing would that be..Playing for a Tyke championship in a rink that is used by present and future NHLers...

Just got our schedule for our best of 5 series vs Oshawa..

If somehow the series goes 5 games, the 5th game will be played in the General Motors Centre main rink..The rink where the Oshawa Generals play.

Seating Capacity of about 6000 people..

How amazing would that be..Playing for a Tyke championship in a rink that is used by present and future NHLers...

win the first 2 games, tank the next 2 to set up game 5

UPDATE:

Game 1 of the series we won 4-2 at home..Then we travelled to Oshawa for Game 2..

It was an amazing game, lots of action...Great goaltending by Adrian..We end up tied 1-1 after a thrilling 10 minute sudden death OT where Adrian stopped a breakaway with literally 3 seconds left in the OT.

So after two games we have 3pts in the best of 5 series....Since there is ties possible, first team to 6 pts wins.

The great part about this tie is that the likelihood of a game 5 just increased by quite a bit...Game 5 Tuesday March 26th at the GM centre , home of the Oshawa Generals.

Game 3 is Sunday 4pm at our home rink in Pickering..

Also to complicate things this week we have 4 houseleague games starting tonight..Lots of hockey this week.

Update:

Bad news we lost game 3. 3-0.

Good news we are now guaranteed a game 5 at the gm centre in Oshawa. Same ice as the OHL generals. 6000 seats.

I'm sort of excited.

sweet, the experience of that game 5 is way better than winning the series in 4

Ya agree. Gonna be super fun.

Update:

Bad news we lost game 3. 3-0.

Good news we are now guaranteed a game 5 at the gm centre in Oshawa. Same ice as the OHL generals. 6000 seats.

I'm sort of excited.

Good luck

So last night was another great game..The Pickering Panthers Tyke B won the game 4-2..I think it was Adrian's best game yet..Several great saves, 4 breakaways and a penalty shot he stopped. The last goal was very late when it didnt matter.

So it comes to tonight(sort of)..We play Game 5 at the Oshawa GM Centre..We are the champions with a WIN or a TIE..If we lose it goes to a final game 6...

I dont think I can take anymore...I used to think watching the overtime of a Leafs game was stressful..

Well there is nothing more stressful than your son in net facing a penalty shot in a tie game...The bad part is you cant swear, throw remotes or anything...

LOL

I must say though its amazing to see all the kids having so much fun..Making new friends and the chance to play for a championship in an OHL rink.

GO PANTHERS

yes we are the Panthers, and the Leafs play the other bad Panthers tonight.

Adrian s team won the championship. It was great.

Winning it in a rink where the banners include retired numbers of Bobby Orr and Eric Lindros made it extra special.

Moment we will never forget.

• Like 1

awesome pictures. Great family moments, win or lose.

awesome pictures. Great family moments, win or lose.

Thanks..It was fun..

Ironically the most famous Pickering Panther is a guy that I love to hate...Overall he is a good guy but Glenn Healy is a bit of a hero within Pickering.

Joe Nieuwendyk also played for a few years.

I am trying to arrange for Glenn Healy to come to one of our events. Then I wont hate him so much.

I just got this petition from a fellow Manager from Unionville..

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/hockey-canada-remove-body-checking-from-all-levels-of-pee-wee-bantam-hockey-in-canada

They want to remove body checking from Minor hockey.

The notion is 99% of kids who are playing rep hockey will not make the NHL. Why are we training them to play at a game where hitting is involved. Most of the kids will play hockey after age 19 in a recreational league where there is no hitting.

Also many kids leave hockey when body checking is introduced in the game. They did studies where a good significant amount of injuries can be avoided if there is no body checking in minor hockey.

Its an interesting debate and I am sitting on both sides of the argument. As a hockey fan I love body checking in the NHL and its a great part of the game. As a father of a hockey player, I think i would be more comfortable if my sons arent exposed to a greater risk of injury.

They also believe that skill level tends to go up when there is no physical contact, i am not sold on this part of the argument.

Sure the stereotype is European players dont hit as much and tend to be better skilled(that is changing in recent years), not sure if thats reality.

Do we want more Phil Kessel's in the game(talented players that dont get involved too much physically) or are we looking to grow Eric Lindros type of players, who play a much different type of game.

The trend is that WE as a hockey society look at Phil Kessel as a "soft" player and we tend to take players like Lindros, Clark, Messier to a higher level.

The greatest players I watched growing up were Gretzky, Lemieux, Lafontaine, they werent very physical.

This would be an easy decision for me if my kid played hockey, Id be signing that petition in an instant.

I guess what I dont understand is why when presenting the other side of the argument, your referring to the NHL and NHL players/history. Like, the question "do we want more players like Kessel" I dont understand......who cares what style the kid uses, is he having fun+learning important life lessons would be my two biggest concerns.

This would be an easy decision for me if my kid played hockey, Id be signing that petition in an instant.

I guess what I dont understand is why when presenting the other side of the argument, your referring to the NHL and NHL players/history. Like, the question "do we want more players like Kessel" I dont understand......who cares what style the kid uses, is he having fun+learning important life lessons would be my two biggest concerns.

No I totally agree..As a parent its pretty much a no brainer...My kid will have fun growing up in hockey and doesnt have to worry about hitting in this scenario

As a hockey fan though if we take out hitting in minor hockey, how will it affect the current NHL game. Do we want hitting out of hockey?

I know my kid isnt going to play in the NHL, so why should we have him hitting when he is 11 years old. However as a hockey fan will you/me enjoy the game we love without hitting?

Because thats where we will end up eventually...

Cant all of a sudden introduce hitting at the Junior level when they havent had body contact at all..

The middle ground is instead of 11 years old, wait till 15 years old to start introducing hitting.

Good news for me is for Adrian I probably dont have to worry about hitting since it looks like he will be a goalie for now.