Yeah, I don't dislike Ed after the last episode, but I still do like DN more because of it.

I think it's absolutely pre-determined who they send home. I KNEW it was either the chick or the black dude going home tonight, when it probably should have been crying French dude.
Ah, conspiracy theories. They never would have sent Tiff home if it was pre-determined. And, as Wakey said, it seemed pretty clear that DN's food was good enough to keep him going. He may have been all worked up about being worried that he'd get canned, which probably made you think his food was worse than the reality, but really the only complaint the judges had about either of his dishes was that one was a tiny bit salty. They clearly had more issues with, and were less awed by, the chick's dishes.
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seemed like everyone was complaining about the saltiness of his one dish. One dude said it was almost inedible.Also, I don't think just because everyone is a douche gives Ed a free pass to be an unabashed a-hole.

It seemed like everyone was complaining about the saltiness of his one dish. One dude said it was almost inedible.
When they were talking about it Tom made a point to mention that it was realistically only a bit salty, implying that they were picking nits. I mean, you don't actually think that the judges or producers would much rather DN in the finals than Kelly, to the point where they'd fuck with the integrity of the show by fixing it, do you? It's not like having him in the finals instead of her would make any difference in terms of ratings or ad dollars, even if all the judges were willing to sell their souls for ratings. Again I'd point to Tiff, the fan favorite who was also killing it in previous episodes, who was shut out of the finals in a close competition.Maybe you're just a victim of editing that was a little too good in terms of wanting to keep up the suspense.
Also, I don't think just because everyone is a douche gives Ed a free pass to be an unabashed a-hole.
I think the free pass is because he's just fucking around, which is totally normal for a kitchen. That's not the same as truly being an *******.
When they were talking about it Tom made a point to mention that it was realistically only a bit salty, implying that they were picking nits. I mean, you don't actually think that the judges or producers would much rather DN in the finals than Kelly, to the point where they'd fuck with the integrity of the show by fixing it, do you? It's not like having him in the finals instead of her would make any difference in terms of ratings or ad dollars, even if all the judges were willing to sell their souls for ratings. Again I'd point to Tiff, the fan favorite who was also killing it in previous episodes, who was shut out of the finals in a close competition.Maybe you're just a victim of editing that was a little too good in terms of wanting to keep up the suspense.I think the free pass is because he's just fucking around, which is totally normal for a kitchen. That's not the same as truly being an *******.
EDIT: I hope you're right.Also, Tiffany was black.

So they're filming the next Top Chef, calling it Second Chances, apparently, giving non-winners of previous seasons a chance to come back and try again.What's interesting is that two of this year's finalists are confirmed to be among the cast. So if you want to know who wins, the info is out there.Also: I've seen Ed on two different Iron Chefs with Cat Cora. I was surprised. I saw Andrea100729topchef_andrea1.jpgon an episode of Food Network Challenge. She didn't win.

Wow Ilan, nice dessert yo. It was pretty obvious by the time they were eating the third dish that Kevin was way ahead though, so Ed can't really blame the dessert for doing him in. David Chang really is a rockstar, it's awesome that he was there. Anthony Bourdain has a long part about him in his new book, which was fairly enjoyable (the book).

So I just googled Ilan to see if he's actually being a chef or whatever, and apparently he is, at a place called The Gorbals, which is an aggressively bad name for an eatery. It seems to be a bar, with lots of high-class bar food or whatever. Anyway, not to be all up in Ilan's shit or something, but the menu pisses me off right off the bat. First goddam item:Bacon-wrapped matzoh balls, with mustard aioliYeah, just like grandma used to make. Bacon. With matzoh balls. Because Jews love bacon. Come on!The menu also suggest that, for $10, you can "buy the kitchen a round of beers." Maybe it's that kinda place where it's always a party and everyone's drinking and laughing with the kitchen staff, but it kind of just seems like a dumb thing to put on the menu. For $10 you can have your food cooked by a drunk person! Haha let's get them all drunker and then they'll really screw up my potato latkes with lobster.Just kidding, the potato latkes don't actually come with lobster, they come with smoked applesauce (eyeroll).

Just saw it. I agree with Speedz. Even though a couple weeks ago I wanted Ed to win, this whole episode I was pulling for Kevin.I think the great thing was the pairings worked out perfect. They all got the best chefs to compliment them. Well, except Ed, but Illan seems like a douche bag and wouldn't be a good sous chef for anyone.I really liked how Hung and Michael busted their ass and just did whatever it took for the guys to win. Hung is a monster to have prepped all that for DN.

Bacon-wrapped matzoh balls, with mustard aioliYeah, just like grandma used to make. Bacon. With matzoh balls. Because Jews love bacon. Come on!
I think Ilan is a douche and the worst Top Chef winner by far in terms of cooking, but I don't see anything wrong with that dish. Actually, I bet it's good.
The menu also suggest that, for $10, you can "buy the kitchen a round of beers."
That's aggressively pretentious in trying not to be pretentious.
Hung is a monster to have prepped all that for DN.
I'd say that, other than Kevin, Hung came off as the big winner that episode.
I'd say that, other than Kevin, Hung came off as the big winner that episode.
I don't think either of the other two sous-chefs (obviously not Ilan) could have gotten Angelo to the point that Hung did, where Angelo was actually prepared fairly well for what he wanted without even seeing his ingredients. Oh and I realized why they couldn't just push the competition back a day for Angelo - it can't be terribly easy to get that many all-star chefs together for a meal when that meal is in Singapore. Re: Ilan, maybe the bacon thing isn't awkward, I just thought kosher Jews might be like, 'You took our matzah and prepared it in a way that Jews can't eat it. Thanks.'
I think Ilan is a douche and the worst Top Chef winner by far in terms of cooking, but I don't see anything wrong with that dish. Actually, I bet it's good.
I came to this thread to say exactly this. I just looked at his wikipedia page to see what he was up to and saw this: In August 2009, he opened his first restaurant, The Gorbals in downtown Los Angeles.[6] Less than a week after opening, The Gorbals was shut down by the county health department because of an inadequate water heater.[7] hahaIt reopened on October 23, 2009.oh.