• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG you geeks. We like Game of Thrones, that doesn't mean you have immunity. No one cares about your faggot fantasy books. If HBO spends $100 mil making it a tv show, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, gtf

If SA's goal was to make the continued topic of conversation in this thread so insufferable that I almost don't care what he spoils anymore, his law degree just paid off.

no, i can actually read.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another, even better trailer for season 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZNaLQD60Y

You'll see.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by this, but maybe you shouldn't tell me. I adored the first book, and the second one which I'm halfway through is great too although a little slower at times (but having seen the show I also know it's gonna pick up). Little Finger often bores me, on the show too, but at least on the show he's surrounded by titties. But Arya just gave Jaqen her first name, and their relationship is one of the highlights of the whole series.

Mild book spoilers, in case others are planning to read them:

The first season followed the first book almost exactly, with very few significant differences or even significant scenes completely missing that I can remember. The main one I can think of is the white walkers coming alive at Castle Black. That didn't happen on the show, did it? The 2nd book has more differences so far, and frankly now I kind of wish I'd read the books before seeing the show. I'm gonna try and get up to date and ahead of the show before watching season 4. The show is still on book 3 to some extent, right? Also I accidentally saw some spoilers for book 4 (some chapter titles) but tried as hard as I could to forget them.

BigD would just tell you to stop reading after book 3. The characters and settings keep expanding, mostly Dorne, with more than a couple unsuccessful storylines that drag out over books 4+5.

Aren't the chapter titles just character names?

There's been a lot of discussion of the books in the forum, but its spoilers galore, so you probably shouldn't read it.

Aren't the chapter titles just character names?

Yeah but it's a spoiler in a sense because you see who the major characters are gonna be and you might notice some omissions as well. They also weren't what I was expecting them to be, which maybe gets to your point about the series going off the rail after book 3. Disappointing to hear, but I'm not totally shocked. I heard him say somewhere that he had to whittle his last book down from 1800 pages, which is a little insane and which explains some of why he doesn't just bang them out.

BigD would just tell you to stop reading after book 3.

Exactly. I enjoyed the first 3 but its goes off the rails. That he cut it down so far is exactly the problem. The guy is making the series endlessly complex without advancing the plot. Not complexity in making it difficult to follow, complex in that he continues to add storylines and characters, almost all of whom are unnecessary and many are uninteresting. Many scifi - fantasy fans see this sort of thing as a mark of quality. I see it as a mark of complete self indulgence. The hubris of thinking that grrm's every idea is worth reading. They are not, IMO. I will not read the next book

One good thing about the way they are chapterized is that it seems to me you might be able to easily skip over or skim over the parts and characters that aren't that interesting, but that might not be very fulfilling either.

You guys have read all 5 books so far?

One good thing about the way they are chapterized is that it seems to me you might be able to easily skip over or skim over the parts and characters that aren't that interesting, but that might not be very fulfilling either.

You guys have read all 5 books so far?

I've read all 5 books and while the last 2 are messy and go off into directions that aren't needed and detract from the flow of the story I still enjoyed them.

Here's the problem with that. 1) book four only has stuff going on in the southern 7 kingdoms. No dany. No north. No wall. Most of the plotlines I care about aren't even in the book. 2) the ones I do care about in four and five, basically are in holding patterns. Very little happens to advance the overall story. The story is expanded but not advanced.

• Like 1

Here's the problem with that. 1) book four only has stuff going on in the southern 7 kingdoms. No dany. No north. No wall. Most of the plotlines I care about aren't even in the book. 2) the ones I do care about in four and five, basically are in holding patterns. Very little happens to advance the overall story. The story is expanded but not advanced.

Oh I agree with you but the problems didn't make the books unreadable for me or take away all my enjoyment.

1) book four only has stuff going on in the southern 7 kingdoms. No dany. No north. No wall. Most of the plotlines I care about aren't even in the book

That was what I guessed from the chapter titles, but I was also a little afraid that he'd killed off like everybody worthwhile. At least that's not the case, but it's definitely disappointing to know cuz I get kinda bored already at some of the repetitive intrigue involving lesser characters.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm about 1/3 through book 3, I wanna finish it before the season starts but that shouldn't be difficult. It's still excellent, although also still kinda boring at times. I like it better than the previous book, although not as much as the first one. Dany just bought the Unsullied, which is almost as good a scene in the book as it is on the show (it's a really fucking good scene or series of scenes on the show).

Also, I haven't actually been "reading" the books as such - I've been listening to the audiobooks. They're pretty excellent, read by Roy Dotrice who has the perfect knightly British accent. He does little voices for many of the characters, most fairly subtle but some are pretty in your face. Usually they're quite successful. Any of you guys listened to them? Each book is about 40-45 hours.