THe difference being that the Exxon cases were operating under entirely different legal dicta. A few selectively changed laws and a few new laws, entirely new ballgame.I want these ****ers to pay *dearly*. All the facts aren't in yet and it's yet to be seen how the story ends, but this could be our Chernobyl or Bhopal. If any sort of willful negligence can be demonstrated that contributed to this, I want decision makers going to prison and the company held liable for every single drop of oil, wherever it ends up and if that means 'corporate profits' for the next decade go towards undoing this, then so be it.
Do you have an island that could be at risk? I know were talking about getting an island somewhere on the east coast, and the oil is being gulf streamed around it.
  • Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have an island that could be at risk? I know were talking about getting an island somewhere on the east coast, and the oil is being gulf streamed around it.
I don't own the entire island- I own a piece of buildable property on a gulf island.It is not in the immediate 'kill zone', but all reports have it that the entire coastal gulf region will be dealing with this bullshit for a long, long time to come in terms of random (and quite sizable) globules of oil washing up on shore and ****ing everything up.I'm first in line for the class action and will not settle. I will document every. single. drop. of oil that washes up on my property, or my neighbors properties. We're a little bit lucky in that we're an interior island sort of 'tucked in' the archipelago that is the North-Central Florida coast, so the impact won't be as bad as those directly facing the gulf side, but yeah. We're gunna get at least some of it.My best case scenario is as follows.Congress passes laws that uncaps damages.Any negligent parties are sentenced to prison.Deathly afraid of going to prison, they commit suicide, as so many white collar suits-and-ties do when facing down doing time. So, we bankrupt BP, seize all their operating assets and facilitate the suck-starting of pistols and shotguns by a few key players. That's about as good as can come of this. At minimum, I want at least five suicides.
I don't own the entire island- I own a piece of buildable property on a gulf island.It is not in the immediate 'kill zone', but all reports have it that the entire coastal gulf region will be dealing with this bullshit for a long, long time to come in terms of random (and quite sizable) globules of oil washing up on shore and ****ing everything up.I'm first in line for the class action and will not settle. I will document every. single. drop. of oil that washes up on my property, or my neighbors properties. We're a little bit lucky in that we're an interior island sort of 'tucked in' the archipelago that is the North-Central Florida coast, so the impact won't be as bad as those directly facing the gulf side, but yeah. We're gunna get at least some of it.My best case scenario is as follows.Congress passes laws that uncaps damages.Any negligent parties are sentenced to prison.Deathly afraid of going to prison, they commit suicide, as so many white collar suits-and-ties do when facing down doing time. Halliburton buys up the left over company, and becomes larger.Dick Cheney laughsSo, we bankrupt BP, seize all their operating assets and facilitate the suck-starting of pistols and shotguns by a few key players. That's about as good as can come of this. At minimum, I want at least five suicides.
Fixed your best case scenario

I don't care to comment on the site, but this is pretty interesting.http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6493Author’s Note: I am grateful to the many drilling and completion engineers that consulted with me on this post to arrive at plausible explanations and interpretations of what happened in the final hours on the semisubmersible drilling rig Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico. The analysis that follows is based on these discussions as well as my own 32 years of experience as a geologist working in the oil and gas industry.It is early in the process of discovering what really happened. Because of the gravity and potential impact of this disaster on the nation and my industry, however, I wanted to provide an early and more investigative perspective than much of what has appeared in the media to date. The risk, of course, is that more information will invalidate some of what follows. I, therefore, wish to clarify that this is a fact-based interpretation of what may have happened on the Deepwater Horizon on April 20, 2010 but, in the end, it is an interpretation. - Art Berman more at link

The BP president on their new commercial seems sincere.
He is sincere.....they are losing a ton of money and he is very sad.
He is sincere.....they are losing a ton of money and he is very sad.
I'm sad for them.But I must admit I have been trying to come up with a way to get me some of that clean up money.But every idea I've come up with so far requires effort and work, so I guess it's out of reach
I'm sad for them.But I must admit I have been trying to come up with a way to get me some of that clean up money.But every idea I've come up with so far requires effort and work, so I guess it's out of reach
1. Float helium ballons with giant sponges attached out over the gulf.2.???3. Profit
The BP president on their new commercial seems sincere.
I think BP, if it survives this, is going to have to rebrand itself, call itself Gaxxon or something, because I think this disaster is just going to ruin them as a brand.
I think BP, if it survives this, is going to have to rebrand itself, call itself Gaxxon or something, because I think this disaster is just going to ruin them as a brand.
I don't know about this, Saddam did pretty well after burning oil fields....
I don't know about this, Saddam did pretty well after burning oil fields....
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, like, 85 percent of the time.
The same thing was said after the Exxon Valdez disaster.Some thoughts on the subject and being president. Here is what I would have done. Week One: Well hopefully BP can get this figured out and all will be wellWeek Two: This isn't looking good if this isn't fixed soon I am going to take actionWeek Three: Gather all the oil companies that do deep sea drilling and see what type of contingency plans they have for this type of situationWeek Four: Start to put pressure on other oil companies so that they see if this fails then they might also fail thus "encouraging" them to work with BP to solve this problemWeek Five: Let the american people know the situation and what we are doing as well as what type of reprucussions are in for BPI'm not real sure if anything is being done from different oil companies, but don't you think that if you were an oil company that did deep sea drilling that you would be putting out your best effort to help BP as well. For one if your solution did work, what a great PR stunt for you. and two, this is going to affect your company as well, so you might as well spend some resources and try to join in anywhere to promote your brand. Maybe it's just a utopian dream of mine, but i would think it would benefit Exxon or Chevron or any other oil company to take some part in this since it is thier future as well that may be threatened by this.Thoughts?
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, like, 85 percent of the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuwaiti_oil_firesI was just saying that this environmental catastrophe didn't really damage Saddam's brand all that much. It also ended up being not all that much of a catastrophe, and it was way more oil. The point, and it was just to be facetious, the point was that Saddam's brand was just fine a few years later. Somebody said it better when they pointed out that Exxon is doing just fine, we tend to over react to things. The fact is that at current estimated costs BP will be just fine. The have plenty of cash on hand and earning power that isn't going away anytime soon given current conditions. Also, if you think about it, upside exists even in this shitty situation. What's bad for the gulf vacation dollar is great for say, California vacation dollar. What's bad for fisherman is great for say, Environmental, clean up companies. Going into this companies obviously had no idea how to handle something of this nature and magnitude- well, now they will know, and that information can be used in 20 years when something else happens. I guess what I am saying is, when a plane crashes and everybody dies, do we stop flying or to we chalk it up to basic, boring statistics? At the end of the day, that's all this is, another number.
The same thing was said after the Exxon Valdez disaster.Some thoughts on the subject and being president. Here is what I would have done. Week One: Well hopefully BP can get this figured out and all will be wellWeek Two: This isn't looking good if this isn't fixed soon I am going to take actionWeek Three: Gather all the oil companies that do deep sea drilling and see what type of contingency plans they have for this type of situationWeek Four: Start to put pressure on other oil companies so that they see if this fails then they might also fail thus "encouraging" them to work with BP to solve this problemWeek Five: Let the american people know the situation and what we are doing as well as what type of reprucussions are in for BPI'm not real sure if anything is being done from different oil companies, but don't you think that if you were an oil company that did deep sea drilling that you would be putting out your best effort to help BP as well. For one if your solution did work, what a great PR stunt for you. and two, this is going to affect your company as well, so you might as well spend some resources and try to join in anywhere to promote your brand. Maybe it's just a utopian dream of mine, but i would think it would benefit Exxon or Chevron or any other oil company to take some part in this since it is thier future as well that may be threatened by this.Thoughts?
Can you provide any sort of evidence that states there are other companies with more/better equipment or technology than what BP has or is doing?
Can you provide any sort of evidence that states there are other companies with more/better equipment or technology than what BP has or is doing?
No, I was just thinking about the spill and how I would have reacted. That is why at the bottom of the post I put thoughts with a question mark. I was seeing if anything I said made sense. Of course that posts the broader question of, if there are no contingency plans for this type of disaster with any other companies ... wouldn't now be the time to have them figure one out?
No, I was just thinking about the spill and how I would have reacted. That is why at the bottom of the post I put thoughts with a question mark. I was seeing if anything I said made sense. Of course that posts the broader question of, if there are no contingency plans for this type of disaster with any other companies ... wouldn't now be the time to have them figure one out?
Pretty sure the new contingency plan is:In the event of deep water oil spill;1. Research everything BP and Obama did.2. Don't do that.
Pretty sure the new contingency plan is:In the event of deep water oil spill;1. Research everything BP and Obama did.2. Don't do that.
I don't know how much we can twist Obamas balls in this spot.I would've immediately EO'd the activation of the Army Corps of Engineers and assigned them to this matter (I don't know if Obama did that or not) but aside from that, there's little he can do...
how about.....let's have a way to stop an oil spill before we let them drill offshore? you know, like a plan better than lets shoot golf balls and pieces of tire at it, hee-yuck!
I don't know how much we can twist Obamas balls in this spot.I would've immediately EO'd the activation of the Army Corps of Engineers and assigned them to this matter (I don't know if Obama did that or not) but aside from that, there's little he can do...
Yea, I agree that Obama's inability to do anything is more from his on lack of executive experience than from there not being anyhting to do:
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal ® said the state will not waiting for federal approval to begin building sand barriers to protect the coastline from the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Oil has pushed at least 12 miles into Louisiana’s marshes, with two major pelican rookeries awash in crude. Gov. Jindal was critical of the amount of boom his state received to ward off the oil seeping toward the coastline. But his major gripe comes at the expense of the Army Corps of Engineers, who have yet to give the go-ahead for the building of sand booms to protect the Louisiana wetlands….
But 'The buck stops here' is a reality of the Oval Office. If you can't handle the heat...etc.etc.etc.Of course you also have the entire democrat party that has so invested themselves into loving/saving the environment that you do have to love the irony that what may turn out to be the worse ecological disaster ever happened under their watch with hardly a peep for 2 months while their strategy to handle this was to hope bp could stop the leak.