True Political Motivations

Just a spin off from the HC "Reform" ThreadThe HC Bill is a shocking and even frightening display of how things are done in Washington. Contrary to what Americans in general seem to want, the Politicians in Washington are trying to pass a hulking crappy bill that no one seems to think will actually work. Even people who believe in HC Reform seem to think that this bill is a joke.My question is: why do Politicians do things that their constituency do not want? What is the true motivation for passing legislation like this?The left view Republicans as greedy, willing to destroy the environment, take away personal freedoms, and invade other countries for profit. They think Republicans will take away Rights and destroy the environment in order to make money. They will beat down the disadvantaged to maintain their position.The Right see Liberals as looking to enslave people in a Government that will (MUST) provide for them. The Right thinks that Libs are misguided elitists that are so delusional that they think we will ruin the Planet without their guidance.I am more aligned with the Right and I know that I am not motivated to harm others, give up personal freedoms, nor breathe dirty air - for me the invasion of Afghanistan (and to a lesser extent Iraq) was right and I certainly didn't gain from it personally. Therefore I know that the Left stereotype of Conservatives is just plain wrong. Therefore, I would be willing to grant the Right stereotype of the Left may be equally flawed.Since both parties seem to be guilty of passing legislation and executing public policy that doesn't represent the will of the people, why do they do it? What is their true motivation in being our leaders? Is it actually different for the Left vs. the Right, or are they sharing a common desire that ultimately drives their behavior?

Power power power powerAnyone who actually thinks the govt will provide efficient health care is f-ed in the head. They have never nor will do anything efficiently

Power power power power
This.By the time you get to national level politics, you've sold your soul six times over. Everything you do is to pay back the people who gave you the money to get that far. If you can't stomach that, you don't run for national office. Congress is a group that is self-selected for being corrupt and having no principles. Every once in a while a good person sneaks through, but it is rare.So why did this retarded health care bill pass? Because the Democratic leaders kept inserting enough goodies to buy the votes of those on the fence. You're voting no? How about if we insert 2 million for a "health education clinic" in your neighborhood, with the contractor being that company that gave half a million to your election campaign? Now will you vote yes?It's all about their drive to hang on to power. People will pay you to sell your soul, and money wins elections.The insurance companies wrote and paid for this horrible bill. Unfortunately for them, the next stage is to eliminate their companies. I don't know how they can't see this, although I expect they are just hoping that they will be the one chosen to implement the government monopoly.

So "Power".But what is "Power"?They spend Millions for the right to allocate Billions. Is the assumption that the Politicians get $ kicked back? Or is it just the Ego that drives them?I'm really not trying to be dense here. Perhaps in a way I am naive, but I can't imagine the mentality to lie, cheat, and steal all for the right to take bribes. I have been AMAZED lately by Detroit Politics and how seemingly every single local politician not only takes bribes, but shamelessly seems to feel entitled to them. One of the more stunning things is the $ amount of the cash changing hands. The $ figures are so low I can't believe people are risking their careers and reputations over a couple of a thousand bucks.

So "Power".But what is "Power"?They spend Millions for the right to allocate Billions. Is the assumption that the Politicians get $ kicked back? Or is it just the Ego that drives them?I'm really not trying to be dense here. Perhaps in a way I am naive, but I can't imagine the mentality to lie, cheat, and steal all for the right to take bribes. I have been AMAZED lately by Detroit Politics and how seemingly every single local politician not only takes bribes, but shamelessly seems to feel entitled to them. One of the more stunning things is the $ amount of the cash changing hands. The $ figures are so low I can't believe people are risking their careers and reputations over a couple of a thousand bucks.
I agree with you, I don't think it's as simple as "power". There is a good deal of allegiance and loyalty to people and organizations which lawmakers can convince themselves are good things. For instance, I think many of them feel a duty to their party, to uphold the ideologies of their party and to serve their party leaders well. Given that they were elected to represent their party most of them also feel that the people want them to work for those ideologies. Part of the issue is that nothing happens in government at all unless it happens at a group level -- an individual cannot pass a bill on her own. Therefore, group psychology prevails, which is dangerous. Everyone involved wants to feel that they have accomplished something and in order to do that they have to go with the group.
Power, money, fame, lifestyle, people sucking up all the time.... they all go together to feed their ego and make them feel pampered and important.
Power, money, fame, lifestyle, people sucking up all the time.... they all go together to feed their ego and make them feel pampered and important.
Ok. I get the Rock Star Effect. But can't they get the same thing by passing good legislation that represents their constituency? So these guys on both sides are just lying, cheating, stealing, namecalling Egos in search of a stroke? ust seems like a silly motivation to go lead the Country. I know, I'm being naive again.
Ok. I get the Rock Star Effect. But can't they get the same thing by passing good legislation that represents their constituency? So these guys on both sides are just lying, cheating, stealing, namecalling Egos in search of a stroke? ust seems like a silly motivation to go lead the Country. I know, I'm being naive again.
Power,fame & wealth can be intoxciating drugs
Power power power power
Power,fame & wealth can be intoxciating drugs
I really think you guys are being naive here. The situation is so much more complex than this caricature.
Ok - So what are we missing
I agree with you, I don't think it's as simple as "power". There is a good deal of allegiance and loyalty to people and organizations which lawmakers can convince themselves are good things. For instance, I think many of them feel a duty to their party, to uphold the ideologies of their party and to serve their party leaders well. Given that they were elected to represent their party most of them also feel that the people want them to work for those ideologies. Part of the issue is that nothing happens in government at all unless it happens at a group level -- an individual cannot pass a bill on her own. Therefore, group psychology prevails, which is dangerous. Everyone involved wants to feel that they have accomplished something and in order to do that they have to go with the group.
Ok. I get the Rock Star Effect. But can't they get the same thing by passing good legislation that represents their constituency?
No, because of public choice theory. It's all about dispersed costs and concentrated gains. If Congress passes a bill that does the right thing for the country and improves our lives by $50 per year, nobody buys the guy a trip to Tahiti. On the other hand, if he costs everyone $5/year to give the proceeds to LobbyCorp, Inc, no taxpayer gets too riled over $5, but LobbyCorp is buying this guy trips to Tahiti to make sure he votes the same again next year.All you get out of doing the right thing is a warm feeling.
So basically you are saying that if our founding fathers were here today, they would lament what a shameful corrupt government this has truly become in this day and age.
I don't think they would be surprised how corrupt the government has become in this day and age. Govt, has always been corrupt, I think they would lament how shameful it is that we have allowed it to become so large and powerful.
I don't think they would be surprised how corrupt the government has become in this day and age. Govt, has always been corrupt, I think they would lament how shameful it is that we have allowed it to become so large and powerful.
I think they would be too busy ooooohing and aaaaaaahing about our motorized horse carriages and flying machines....

A timely article on true political motivations and the ugly business of how a piece of crap like this can pass:http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1109/29383.htmlRep. Dennis Cardoza just couldn’t take yes for an answer. Democratic leaders thought they knew how to lock in his vote. They’d add a last-minute provision authorizing up to $500 million to create medical centers that could benefit a college in Cardoza’s California district. He’d vote for the health reform bill. Usually that’s enough: Give a lawmaker his “ask,” and get his vote. But according to several sources familiar with the situation, Cardoza wanted more — a guarantee that the program would actually be funded — before he would agree to cast a “yes.” He spent much of Friday and Saturday on the phone with Rob Nabors, the No. 2 man in the White House budget office, and a good portion of Saturday holed up in House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office. [article continues at link]