July 1 Free Agent Frenzy

This is a ridiculous deal.Ray Shero is such a God.How he gets Fedotenko to take LESS money on a one-year deal is beyond me, after having a solid season, and a great playoffs.We're talking about a $450k pay cut here, with no additional job security, either. Unreal.
Btw, Rumor has it that the Pens are interested in Jay McKee, if that happens, I will admit that I jumped the gun a little yesterday. I still think they need a piece, but there is time. I think, just watching how Scuderi fought, kicked, clawed, scratched, sacrificed, etc... to do what it took to win, you want guys like that. And I hate seeing teams like the Caps and Flyers get better (presumeably). Although I think the Flyers have basically a one year window since they gave away so much for Pronger.
  • Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw, Rumor has it that the Pens are interested in Jay McKee, if that happens, I will admit that I jumped the gun a little yesterday. I still think they need a piece, but there is time. I think, just watching how Scuderi fought, kicked, clawed, scratched, sacrificed, etc... to do what it took to win, you want guys like that. And I hate seeing teams like the Caps and Flyers get better (presumeably). Although I think the Flyers have basically a one year window since they gave away so much for Pronger.
McKee would be nice.Wanted to add one more thing, regarding our defensive prospects. That's the one place where we're absolutely stocked in terms of depth in our system.With Goligoski presumably graduating to the Pens full-time, we'll have Lovejoy as the first call-up, or even 7th defenseman on the roster. But it goes a lot farther than that. We just signed Brian Strait, a college prospect, who is supposed to be very good, he might end up going back for his senior year at Boston U, but he could also end up fighting for that 6th/7th spot out of camp, or moving on to the pro game in the AHL. Strait is a shutdown defenseman for us.Alex Grant is a top prospect for us as well, he should spend the year in Wilkes-Barre. It'll be his first year as a pro after putting up 50 points in 60 games in the QMJHL last season. He's obviously a more offensive oriented guy.Carl Sneep is another guy at Boston College, who projects into a nice solid shut down type guy as well. He's got one more year of college left, and I guess the assumption is that he's going to stay there, as he hasn't been signed by the Pens yet.We also have Robert Bortuzzo, who was a shutdown guy for the Kitchener Rangers for the last 3 seasons, who'll be playing in WBS this year.Of course, we also drafted Despres and Samuelsson early in the draft this year.============In terms of long-term projections, I would imagine we lose Eaton next season, and his shut down, penalty killing roll is filled by either Lovejoy, Strait, or Sneep, whoever is ready, probably in that order of likelihood, while the others fight over the last defensive spot, if we sign someone to a 1-year deal this year, or else they wait it out in the AHL, or play their way onto the team.Gonchar is a big question mark at this point, but I'd look to Shero to get him signed to an extension this summer, hopefully. Letang needs a new contract as well. If we have those two for a while, plus Goligoski, our offensive production from the point should be intact. Eventualy, Gonchar retires (hopefully as a Penguin), and then Letang and Gogo are set to take the top 2 spots as offensive D-men, and maybe Grant is ready to step into the team at that point as well. We look pretty good on the point, in the next half-decade or so, as long as most of these guys develop as expected. We should end up with a pretty good cycle, which will be very cap friendly, as the younger guys come out of Wilkes-Barre, ready to play in the NHL, to replace the older guys, as they move on. The great thing too, is we get to let all of these young guys develop, rather than rush them in. They're all in their 20s already, and should be nearing 23-25 when they are called upon for full time action. Letang was the only one who got in when he was really young, simply because he literally played his way onto the team.============I'm going to copy/paste this post into the Pens thread, and we'll continue any discussion of the Pens defense and/or prospects in there.
this chicago story is huge... Versteeg, Barker, Ben Eager, Aaron Johnson, Colin Fraser and Troy Brouwer could all become UFAs because of a mistake made with paper work being filed? jeepers, thats bad.http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283634
Probally wont be any ramifications but if there is that may be the biggest blunder by any management anywhere..
Probally wont be any ramifications but if there is that may be the biggest blunder by any management anywhere..
I oringally thought nothing would come of it, but Darren Dreger is making it sound as if its a big deal. I don't think a reporter would trump up a story just to get attention.Would he?

I mean, if a guy like Versteeg or Barker are all of a sudden available on the open market, rather than only getting to deal with the Blackhawks, I'd imagine their values rise considerably.

I mean, if a guy like Versteeg or Barker are all of a sudden available on the open market, rather than only getting to deal with the Blackhawks, I'd imagine their values rise considerably.
I imagine Brauer would have alot of intrest too. If 32 year old 3rd liners are getting 2.5 on the open market just imagine what guys in there early 20s with alot of upside could get
Interesting trade here.http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283667Some solid veteran forward presence for the Kings, and they give up a solid defenseman, where they're really deep.
Ok this is the damn year, it better be. As long as Jon Quick can hold the fort in goal we're looking solid.Brown-Kopitar-WilliamsSmyth-Stoll-FrolovSimmonds-Handzus-MollerPurcell-Zeiler-IvanansO'Donnell-DoughtyScuderi-JohnsonGreene-Drewiske(Could be Hickey or Voinov)QuickErsbergKings only allowed 226 goals against last season which was 11th best in the league, their biggest problem, only scored 202. Which was fourth worst in the league.
Ok this is the damn year, it better be. As long as Jon Quick can hold the fort in goal we're looking solid.Brown-Kopitar-WilliamsSmyth-Stoll-FrolovSimmonds-Handzus-MollerPurcell-Zeiler-IvanansO'Donnell-DoughtyScuderi-JohnsonGreene-Drewiske(Could be Hickey or Voinov)QuickErsbergKings only allowed 226 goals against last season which was 11th best in the league, their biggest problem, only scored 202. Which was fourth worst in the league.
I like the pick up by the kings. There gonna be a gritty team that can score. Smyth should work well with the youth of the kings. BTW Dustin Brown is my favorite player that doesnt play for the nucks.

The fact that there have been no meaningful signings today really bums me out. :(There are a ton of talented guys left, too. Beauchemin, Koivu, Tanguay, Kovalev, just the ones that pop into my head immediately.

The fact that there have been no meaningful signings today really bums me out. :(There are a ton of talented guys left, too. Beauchemin, Koivu, Tanguay, Kovalev, just the ones that pop into my head immediately.
With 24 of the teams in the US I dont think much will happen today. They have a hard enough time getting coverage down there let alone on the 4th.
Am I the only one who is still refreshing all the FA signing trackers still hoping for NHL news?
no. well, actually, yes, in that I'm not hitting refresh, but no, in that I am still waiting on more signings with way too much anticipation.i was kinda hoping for some news today, a little suprised at the sudden "wait and see" approach going on. Although it might be the smart play I suppose.
Kovi is apparently a Senator. From the FAN 590.Beauchemin is apparently a Leaf. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/07/06/leafs_beauchemin/
Just read this. Hopefully its for 1 year and he will be motivated to play like he did 2 years ago.Now if the Sens can trade Heatly for a solid 2nd line centre and some good prospects we could have 4 very solid top 6 players and would just need to figure out who to play the other 2 spots.
wow, the leafs really are building from the net out. They've got 9 NHL calibre d men signed now, pretty much seals Kaberle's fate. Where does he end up now?
imagine they keep him?Kaberle-SchennKomisarek-BeauchminExelby-Fingerwith Van Ryn, White and Frogren still kicking around.Trading Kaberle is fine, but man, that D sure is rather lethargic on the offensive side outside of him. Van Ryn and Beauch are ok, but the others have little to no O.

I find it ironic that after having to deal with all the Heatley bs, they went and signed the enigma of all enigmas, Kovalev. Im sure the coach's head is spinning right now.

imagine they keep him?Kaberle-SchennKomisarek-BeauchminExelby-Fingerwith Van Ryn, White and Frogren still kicking around.Trading Kaberle is fine, but man, that D sure is rather lethargic on the offensive side outside of him. Van Ryn and Beauch are ok, but the others have little to no O.
finger is a 60 point d-man, DUHH!!