• 8 months later...
Both wife and I thought it was a great psychological thriller from Scorsese, not his greatest but definitely one of the best movies playing at the theater right now.
I feel like this movie is worthy of having its own thread discussion rather than just being part of the "what is the last movie you saw? thread. After seeing the movie my rating of it was "very good." After thinking and talking about it with others, I've upgraded it to "fantastic." There's just a ton of stuff going on there. So, here we go...Spoiler warning: the stuff in the below spoiler tags has lots of spoilers so don't read if you don't want to be spoiled. Spoil.

Did anybody have even an inkling that Leo was actually a prisoner/patient? Even at the end when he went to the lighthouse and the doctor started explaining it to him, I was still a little unsure. But once you know the doc is telling the truth, it changes your perception of everything that happened before.-the doctor being "on vacation"-the body language of the guards when they first got to the island-not allowing access to personal files-the vision of his wife bleeding from the stomach-"why are you all wet, baby?"-the note that said "run"-obviously the conversation with the prisoner in C block-the conversation with the warden in the jeepJust so much great stuff. It's definitely one of those movies that if you watched it a second time (and I definitely plan to) you would have a totally different experience.I want to talk about two things in particular.What was the meaning behind the note that said "run?" What did she know and what was she trying to say?The last line of the movie: "Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?"This means he's making a conscious decision to remain in his alternate reality, right? He'd rather fool himself into thinking he's a federal marshall than have to live with the idea that he's to blame for the murder of his children. And that's why the doc calls out to him as he walks away, because he understands what he's doing. Right?

Did anybody have even an inkling that Leo was actually a prisoner/patient?

I haven't seen the movie. This plot twist was pretty obvious even from the trailer.

I haven't seen the movie. This plot twist was pretty obvious even from the trailer.

Well then.(p.s. if you get to Ron Mexico's post and don't want to be spoiled, don't read any further.)

Havent seen this yet, but interesting story .....LANCASTER, Calif. — Authorities say a man was stabbed in the neck with a meat thermometer after asking a woman to silence her cell phone during a screening of the film "Shutter Island" at a Southern California movie theater.Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore says the stabbing happened Feb. 27 during a screening of the Martin Scorsese film in Lancaster. He says the two suspects remain at large.Whitmore says the victim had complained about a woman sitting nearby who was talking on her phone during the movie. He says the woman left with two men, but the men returned minutes later and stabbed the victim in the neck.Two other people in the theater came to the victim's aid and also were hurt. The man was hospitalized with serious injuries.The sheriff's office says it knew the weapon used was a meat thermometer because the suspects left it behind. No further details were released.

Why the hell did you read that if you haven't seen the movie?
I added spoilers.

My friend already gave away the ending to me, so I knew the twist before I read your post

Havent seen this yet, but interesting story .....LANCASTER, Calif. — Authorities say a man was stabbed in the neck with a meat thermometer after asking a woman to silence her cell phone during a screening of the film "Shutter Island" at a Southern California movie theater.Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore says the stabbing happened Feb. 27 during a screening of the Martin Scorsese film in Lancaster. He says the two suspects remain at large.Whitmore says the victim had complained about a woman sitting nearby who was talking on her phone during the movie. He says the woman left with two men, but the men returned minutes later and stabbed the victim in the neck.Two other people in the theater came to the victim's aid and also were hurt. The man was hospitalized with serious injuries.The sheriff's office says it knew the weapon used was a meat thermometer because the suspects left it behind. No further details were released.
I can see the scope of the 10 day waiting period law is about to be expanded
I feel like this movie is worthy of having its own thread discussion rather than just being part of the "what is the last movie you saw? thread. After seeing the movie my rating of it was "very good." After thinking and talking about it with others, I've upgraded it to "fantastic." There's just a ton of stuff going on there. So, here we go...Spoiler warning: the stuff in the below spoiler tags has lots of spoilers so don't read if you don't want to be spoiled. Spoil.

Did anybody have even an inkling that Leo was actually a prisoner/patient? Even at the end when he went to the lighthouse and the doctor started explaining it to him, I was still a little unsure. But once you know the doc is telling the truth, it changes your perception of everything that happened before.-the doctor being "on vacation"-the body language of the guards when they first got to the island-not allowing access to personal files-the vision of his wife bleeding from the stomach-"why are you all wet, baby?"-the note that said "run"-obviously the conversation with the prisoner in C block-the conversation with the warden in the jeepJust so much great stuff. It's definitely one of those movies that if you watched it a second time (and I definitely plan to) you would have a totally different experience.I want to talk about two things in particular.What was the meaning behind the note that said "run?" What did she know and what was she trying to say?The last line of the movie: "Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?"This means he's making a conscious decision to remain in his alternate reality, right? He'd rather fool himself into thinking he's a federal marshall than have to live with the idea that he's to blame for the murder of his children. And that's why the doc calls out to him as he walks away, because he understands what he's doing. Right?

I feel the exact way you do. The more I thought about it, it really did get better in my mind.

Even in the lighthouse, I kept saying..."Wow, hey are still trying to **** with his head"...."Wait, he is a patient, no he's not, yes he is"To me, "RUN" meant, they are giving you run of the grounds, take this chance and try to escapeAnd the last line, your description of it is the exact way I thought it was supposed to be.

No spoilers because eff you if you clicked on this thread and haven't seen the movie yet. JJJ, you put that Leo was responsible for the death of his kids. Do you mean because he wasn't picking up on the clues from the wife that she was crazy? Am I remembering this wrong? The wife did do the kids right?I do love the rest of your analysis. I think I would drive myself batty if I read into movies the way you deftly do. I just try to pick up things here and there and enjoy the ride. I was still wondering in the lighthouse if he was a Fed or prisoner.

No spoilers because eff you if you clicked on this thread and haven't seen the movie yet. JJJ, you put that Leo was responsible for the death of his kids. Do you mean because he wasn't picking up on the clues from the wife that she was crazy? Am I remembering this wrong? The wife did do the kids right?
Heh.Right, he blamed himself because she told him stuff like it felt like there was a bug crawling in her brain and he knew something was wrong with her, but he just ignored it instead of getting her help.

ahhh, yes. He was normal before all that trauma, just an absentee, typical hubby from that time period. But yes, you continue to impress with anal-ysis

I knew about half way through that he was what we were seeing wasnt real. i wasnt sure if he had been insane the whole time or he was dreaming. if i'd had time to think i would have known for sure as marty would never take the easy way out.as for the last line. i took it to meant that he was sane, he knew what he'd done, and where he was, but that he was going to pretend that he was still crazy so they would kill him and put him out of his misery.

as for the last line. i took it to meant that he was sane, he knew what he'd done, and where he was, but that he was going to pretend that he was still crazy so they would kill him and put him out of his misery.

this is the general consensus I've found from discussions with people (you know. soylent green)

one thing that I've brought up (well actually when we were walking out of the movie some random person said, "I don't get why he blew up the car". One of my party said (to me quietly), "Oh. because HE was the pyromaniac." after hearing that, it seems obvious.) which I've found that people tend to NOT agree with is that Leo was the pyromaniac. He blew up the car (for pretty much no reason). He was "playing" with the matches when he went to find Rorschach. He was the one who was burning down the house (watch out). That last one is speculation but it's the logical conclusion.

the "run" thing was her letting him know the whole thing was a trick (she knew he was a patient not a visitor) so he should "run". Trust me. I'm qualified to give the definitive position on this.

one thing that I've brought up (well actually when we were walking out of the movie some random person said, "I don't get why he blew up the car". One of my party said (to me quietly), "Oh. because HE was the pyromaniac." after hearing that, it seems obvious.) which I've found that people tend to NOT agree with is that Leo was the pyromaniac. He blew up the car (for pretty much no reason). He was "playing" with the matches when he went to find Rorschach. He was the one who was burning down the house (watch out). That last one is speculation but it's the logical conclusion.

I thought it was to create a distraction so he could make his way over to the lighthouse. I could be wrong though, maybe it is just because he's a pyro.

as for the last line. i took it to meant that he was sane, he knew what he'd done, and where he was, but that he was going to pretend that he was still crazy so they would kill him and put him out of his misery.

I wondered about the killing him part. Is that what the doc was getting at when he was saying they had this last ditch effort to save him? But I wouldn't say it as pretending to be crazy; I think he would need to legitimately convince himself of the alternate reality to die a good man. And the doc mentioned he had come back to reality and then relapsed a few times, so it was obviously in him to go back.

But there wasn't any real fire, right? That was just a story he invented. I thought his visions of his wife turning to ash had something to do with his traumatic death camp experience and they sort of blended together.As for the car explosion, I thought as Gov did.Also, I don't really have anything except questions regarding the significance of the missing prisoner, but I'll do those later.

Also, I don't really have anything except questions regarding the significance of the missing prisoner, but I'll do those later.

I dont think there was a missing prisoner. Wasnt that just part of the fantasy he created for himself? In his world, where he was there investigating, the missing prisoner was the man who set the fire that killed his wife. It was all part of an unsolvable mystery he created for himself in an effort to never stop searching and accept the reality of what he'd really done. (think memento).When in fact, leo was the missing prisoner.

That's what HE said it was. wasn't much of a distraction though. All it did was call everyone's attention to him. Anyway, considering that the fake guy with the scar, Andrew Laeddis, was the pyro who started the fire and that Edward Daniels and his name are actually just anagrams for each other, it seems fairly safe to say that they might share more than just the name anagram situation.I don't know why you think the fire itself was made up.no they're not killing him. they're giving him a lobotomy to make him not be a threat to prisoners/staff (this is what BK said they would have to do in the lighthouse). sorry I guess I didn't read that other post thoroughly.

a suggestion: use spoilers in the "what movie did you see" thread, but for threads devoted to a movie use "SPOILERS WITHIN" as the tagline & be done with it. really, if someone doesn't want to know about a movie, they shouldn't be opening a thread that only discusses it & no others.

a suggestion: use spoilers in the "what movie did you see" thread, but for threads devoted to a movie use "SPOILERS WITHIN" as the tagline & be done with it. really, if someone doesn't want to know about a movie, they shouldn't be opening a thread that only discusses it & no others.
It was a bumped thread from July before the movie was out.

This was a fantastic movie.

I'm glad nobody spoiled the twist for me before I saw it. I'm usually pretty good at guessing twists, but I had no idea on this one. I knew something was going on, but I stopped trying to figure it out about 1/3 of the way in and just enjoyed the ride. I can't wait to watch it again on DVD.

The use of music to build tension was excellent. It actually reminded me a lot of The Shining in that sense.

I dont think there was a missing prisoner. Wasnt that just part of the fantasy he created for himself? In his world, where he was there investigating, the missing prisoner was the man who set the fire that killed his wife. It was all part of an unsolvable mystery he created for himself in an effort to never stop searching and accept the reality of what he'd really done. (think memento).When in fact, leo was the missing prisoner.
I know that Leo was the missing prisoner. My questions had more to do with how much of the details of the missing prisoner story were provided by Leo and how much were provided by the doctor. Like how the missing prisoner had the background of creating a whole new world in the prison, convincing herself that she was still at home. That seems like something the doctor would want in there to make it more believable to Leo that he's been doing the same thing, which would make it easier to get him to come back to reality.
Anyway, considering that the fake guy with the scar, Andrew Laeddis, was the pyro who started the fire and that Edward Daniels and his name are actually just anagrams for each other, it seems fairly safe to say that they might share more than just the name anagram situation.I don't know why you think the fire itself was made up.
I thought the fire was the story Leo invented for his wife's death. But she didn't die in a fire, he shot her. Did he burn the house down after?