Here is an interesting spot...Is checking the river the correct play or should I be betting it the majority of the time?Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comBB ($50)UTG ($29.60)MP ($47.75)CO ($58.55)Hero (Button) ($59.80)SB ($50)Preflop: Hero is Button with 5 :ts, A :spade:UTG calls $0.50, 2 folds, Hero bets $1.25, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.75Flop: ($3.25) 9 :qh, A :club:, 10 :jh(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets $2.50, UTG calls $2.50Turn: ($8.25) 7 :D(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets $4.50, UTG calls $4.50River: ($17.25) A :D(2 players)UTG checks, Hero checksTotal pot: $17.25 | Rake: $0.85Results in white below: Hero had 5 :4h, A :5c (three of a kind, Aces).UTG had 8 :3h, J :D (straight, Jack high).Outcome: UTG won $16.40

Well yeah but most of the time there's nothing you can beat that's check raising the river here. However I guess if villain has been hyper aggressive then insta call and puke when u see a full house,

I bet $7 on river and fold to a re-raise.
This is a pet peeve of mine. You cannot fold to a reraise because villain can't reraise you, he can only raise you.That being said, OP, b/f (edit: against an unknown) is the correct line. You are missing tons of value by checking here.
Here is an interesting spot...Is checking the river the correct play or should I be betting it the majority of the time?Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comBB ($50)UTG ($29.60)MP ($47.75)CO ($58.55)Hero (Button) ($59.80)SB ($50)Preflop: Hero is Button with 5 :ts, A :spade:UTG calls $0.50, 2 folds, Hero bets $1.25, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.75Flop: ($3.25) 9 :qh, A :club:, 10 :jh(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets $2.50, UTG calls $2.50Turn: ($8.25) 7 :D(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets $4.50, UTG calls $4.50River: ($17.25) A :D(2 players)UTG checks, Hero checksTotal pot: $17.25 | Rake: $0.85Results in white below: Hero had 5 :4h, A :5c (three of a kind, Aces).UTG had 8 :3h, J :D (straight, Jack high).Outcome: UTG won $16.40
Meh, I know ppl are saying B/F but I don't think we get anything but a chop or beaten by that move.
the turn card sucks, I might check behind and call that river, it's a cooler, there's nothing you can really do to avoid this
This. As played i fire out $8 on the river and muck we he check raises you.
This is a pet peeve of mine. You cannot fold to a reraise because villain can't reraise you, he can only raise you.
Wow now that I think about it you are absolutly right, cause you wouldnt be raising $7 you'd be betting $7. My bad! lol

I dont see why I should bet the river here...what is he calling me with that I beat. Is he really going to call with K10, JJ, or qq when I raise preflop, bet the flop, turn, and river? I dont even think other hands are even possible. I think all that betting here would do is make him either fold or raise me because I am either way ahead or way behind. I think that I just have to be happy with getting to see a free showdown.

If he was calling you down with Tx/JJ/QQ before, he's still calling the river, because the A coming makes it less likely that you have one. It's also a great card for you to triple barrel if you were going nuts with something like QJ, so if he had you on a draw before he's calling this river. Are we really scared of being raised here?

If he was calling you down with Tx/JJ/QQ before, he's still calling the river, because the A coming makes it less likely that you have one. It's also a great card for you to triple barrel if you were going nuts with something like QJ, so if he had you on a draw before he's calling this river. Are we really scared of being raised here?
No I'm more afraid of him having an ace which I think is his most likely holding here. If he does I am either beat or we split so I dont get what betting does for me.

Put me in the camp with the people that check behind on that river. Nothing we beat is calling us. At best we get a split. What's the best hand that we beat flat out? K,K .... is K,K calling you here? umm, not unless he is an idiot (which he would have to be to have played K,K like that, LOL). More likely he would be holding like J,10 or something.

I dont see why I should bet the river here...what is he calling me with that I beat. Is he really going to call with K10, JJ, or qq when I raise preflop, bet the flop, turn, and river? I dont even think other hands are even possible. I think all that betting here would do is make him either fold or raise me because I am either way ahead or way behind. I think that I just have to be happy with getting to see a free showdown.
If they called to the river, why would they fold now? The A infact just improves their hand, making it less likely you hold an A. Also, I just noticed this. Please quit with the mini-raises in cash games.
If they called to the river, why would they fold now? The A infact just improves their hand, making it less likely you hold an A. Also, I just noticed this. Please quit with the mini-raises in cash games.
+1, since you basically echoed what I said :)Villain will call with plenty of worse hands here.
+1, since you basically echoed what I said :club: Villain will call with plenty of worse hands here.
I wish I woulda seen your post....woulda saved me a bunch of typing
+1, since you basically echoed what I said :)Villain will call with plenty of worse hands here.
What range of hands are we talking here that this guy would call all the way down with that dont beat me? And why would they not have raised these hands earlier rather than just call down?and the small ball style raise works great in low level cash games...

T8+, 98+, JJ. (Yes even including T9)Why WOULD he raise any of those hands (except maybe T9 - but plenty of people slow play weak two pairs and get counterfeited)? You're certainly not calling with anything worse. Perhaps you'd fold better, but in that case he might as well be holding 23.

What range of hands are we talking here that this guy would call all the way down with that dont beat me? And why would they not have raised these hands earlier rather than just call down?and the small ball style raise works great in low level cash games...
The raise size pf is bad. Your in position ok but your making basically a min raise with a marginal holding that typically has little to no showdown value. Villian limp calls utg and his most likely holding is an A for a chop? His most likely holds are pretty much all suited connectors, one or two gappers, pps, broadways, etc. Basically most of the deck.I would consider a value bet on river but my default would be bet turn / check behind river..

If we have a hand that is probably best but, not going to get value on all 3 streets, b/f turn and check behind river is almost always the best line to take against a loose-passive player.

Maybe, just maybe, they arrived at the river, calling all the way, because they have a better hand.
Maybe, just maybe, they arrived at the river, calling all the way, because they have a better hand.
Yes, maybe, but against the entire range as a whole we're ahead, easily.
Yes, maybe, but against the entire range as a whole we're ahead, easily.
OK, so here's the thing we all need to notice about the hand. He's called. He's called. He's called. Three calls is not a bluff. And three calls of a PF raise on an A high board is not a PP. "Not a bluff" translates into: "best we can hope for is a chop here," IMHO.