Every week, a group of my friends get together to play 50cent/1.00 texas holdem. We have recently discovered that one of our very good friends is cheating. He is doing this by stacking the deck during his deal. Out of 16 hands in a row that he has dealt he has won them all. Out of the first 7 deals he dealt himself poker pairs 5 times and hit trips each time on the flop. He has 3 flushes, 2 straights, and 2 full houses. The other 4 times everyone folded so we couldnt see the crards. The odds would say he is definately cheating. And i have witnessed him doing a very poor stacking job each time.This we believe has been going unoticed for atleast 6 months and thousands of dollars won. We are a group of good friends. What should we do about our friend? How should we approach him and what do we say. He is an excellent friend, except for the poker table. But at the end of the day he has been stealing from us. What woudl you do? I need all the advice I can get.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

if he is such a good friend then he WOULDNT be stealing from you, so clearly he doesnt see you and the others as highly as you see him. I would definately not have let it go on for 6months or so, esp as you've seen him stacking the deck etc. Seriously out him in front of everyone imo, make him pay back a portion of money to each person if you know roughly how much he has taken. Where you go with it after this is totally up to you!Gl with the confrontation!

if he is such a good friend then he WOULDNT be stealing from you, so clearly he doesnt see you and the others as highly as you see him. I would definately not have let it go on for 6months or so, esp as you've seen him stacking the deck etc. Seriously out him in front of everyone imo, make him pay back a portion of money to each person if you know roughly how much he has taken. Where you go with it after this is totally up to you!Gl with the confrontation!
We just realized that he was cheating last week. But we are pretty sure it has been going on for months. We will definitely approach him. The question is how do we out him.
We just realized that he was cheating last week. But we are pretty sure it has been going on for months. We will definitely approach him. The question is how do we out him.
the thing is, he has no morals if he does this to his friends (let alone anyone), so there is no reason to take him to one side away from everyone. I say hes stolen from everyone, so confront him in front of all the reg players, they all deserve to see what he has to say etc. Whether or not you get him against the wall by the throat and tell him you know, or if you sit down and just say, look we know you've been . . . . . . . is totally up to the group of you.
Every week, a group of my friends get together to play 50cent/1.00 texas holdem. We have recently discovered that one of our very good friends is cheating. He is doing this by stacking the deck during his deal. Out of 16 hands in a row that he has dealt he has won them all. Out of the first 7 deals he dealt himself poker pairs 5 times and hit trips each time on the flop. He has 3 flushes, 2 straights, and 2 full houses. The other 4 times everyone folded so we couldnt see the crards. The odds would say he is definately cheating. And i have witnessed him doing a very poor stacking job each time.This we believe has been going unoticed for atleast 6 months and thousands of dollars won. We are a group of good friends. What should we do about our friend? How should we approach him and what do we say. He is an excellent friend, except for the poker table. But at the end of the day he has been stealing from us. What woudl you do? I need all the advice I can get.
New idea...Dealt with this kind of controversy before, although they were more SNGs than cash games - simply pass the deck around and whoever is dealing is out of the hand, doesn't deal themselves in. Quite a simple novel concept and I wish I'd thought about it before just now.
New idea...Dealt with this kind of controversy before, although they were more SNGs than cash games - simply pass the deck around and whoever is dealing is out of the hand, doesn't deal themselves in. Quite a simple novel concept and I wish I'd thought about it before just now.
lol, werent you going somewhere?

No matter how you confront him he will deny the whole thing and (since you have no hard evidnece that he stole your money) he will get away with it. Your friendship will be over, (which is a good thing).

I would invite him over the next time you have a game and watch him and be 100% sure. If you see it happening say dude what's up with that shuffle, you're looking at the deck or fixing it or something along that line and see where it goes from there. If he's fixing a deck at a home game, it should be VERY obvious.

Out of curiosity, how old is this person?I agree with others who say he can't be that great of a friend if he's cheating you. But if you really think he's that solid of a guy and don't want to shame him (?) too badly, just bring it up, tell him you've caught on and ask that he pay back what he owes, and move on.

Cutting the cards, kicking this guys ass, it's all good.honestly, and I hate to quote anything rounders....but one time when it's his deal let him shuffle like normal and then when the cards are dealt everyone at the table stand up, someone take the deck off the felt and tell him everyone is going to flip their cards face up and let the hand play out. If/when his hand goes "nutty", put him on the spot right then and there. That's how I'd do it....but you guys better be sure. And then I'd seriously kick the guy's ass.All that being said, as noted above, this is why you cut the deck.

I would 1) make 100% certain he is doing it. Maybe even set up a camcorder so when he inevitably denies it you can say, ORLY? Lets watch the tape.2) Since he is a "good friend" as you say, I wouldn't skip immediately to the 'beat his ass phase.' But I would probably have the group kind of surround him and get pissed off and physically threaten him. Followed by an ultimatum "if you want to keep your friends and maybe..MAYBE stay in the game in the future, you WILL come back next week with $100 (or whatever) payment for each of us.But you simply cannot just let him off the hook and throw down a rule like "someone has to cut" or "dealer stays out of the hand". He needs to be verbally bitch slapped at the very minimum. Bottom line, you should all be pissed off.

I would suggest keeping a very close eye on him when he shuffles the next 2 - 3 times.It is VERY hard to do what you are accusing him of, and do it well. If he is cheating, it will be clear as day if you watch him.If he keeps winning while you are watching and you can't spot anything, then I would simply chalk it up to dumb luck. Anyone good enough to stack a deck that well and you not notice would not waste his time playing with his "friends" for a couple bucks a month.In any case, cutting the cards should be standard in ANY game with ANYONE. That keeps this question from coming up.

No matter how you confront him he will deny the whole thing and (since you have no hard evidnece that he stole your money) he will get away with it. Your friendship will be over, (which is a good thing).
There's the remote possibility he's a better player. Other than that, he's not a friend and you have to deal him out of the game.