Penn On Proselytizing

The "word" Christian may have evolved in some "Christian" circles (which is pure crap imo), but Christ hasn't. Just because some of his "followers" may have "evolved" doesn't mean he's changed. He's the same today as he was yesterday, and will be tomorrow. His message and his purpose don't change, no matter what some "Christians" may believe. But i'm sure I'll be called unenlightened so whatever.
Who are you talking to?
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Penn is a good magician, but constantly shows that he's not much of an intellectual. His truck analogy is certainly a bad one. Sure, if somebody sees a truck bearing down on me I hope they would be kind enough to warn me, but if they're constantly warning me about invisible trucks that will torture me after I die, I would start to get annoyed and question their beliefs.
this. what color is an invisible fire truck? Peter Griffin would know.
I have no better response than to say that you are incorrect. The only reason Jesus came to Earth was to die for people and have them believe in him. So you're incorrect.
Yup...it's time for my occasional bout of wondering how an intelligent person can be 100% sure that this is the case just because he heard it through the 2,000 year old grapevine. Your faith is intriguing.
I know. It was so much better when there was only the Catholic Church.
I like playing "pick out the people who never would have believed the earth might not have been flat or that the earth might not be the center of the universe".
Yup...it's time for my occasional bout of wondering how an intelligent person can be 100% sure that this is the case just because he heard it through the 2,000 year old grapevine. Your faith is intriguing.
From you, I'll take it. But.... NOBODY ELSE BETTER TRY THIS BACKHANDED COMPLEMENT THING!
  • 2 weeks later...
noJohn 14:6and Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me."
Ok, but what does that mean? I agree that no one could go to heaven without the Grace of Jesus. But Jesus can distribute his Grace as he sees fit. Ghandi for instance wasn't a Christian but he lived a very Christlike life and believed in Christ's teachings. According to your reading of the scripture above are you saying Ghandi wouldn't be allowed into Heaven?
I'm sorry to say that I find this totally absurd. If that's why he came, how selfish and petty. I was trying to be generous to Christianity by supposing that the purpose was to inspire people to live a good life.
VB, I just wanted to note that my answer to you was fully incomplete and basically awful. I just don't have the energy to write a long post taking you through the entire Bible to fully back up my point... since said post would most like be skimmed by everyone and serve no purpose but to just waste my time. So I'm simply apologizing and if you would like me to expand, just PM me and I'll give you a better post.
Ok, but what does that mean? I agree that no one could go to heaven without the Grace of Jesus. But Jesus can distribute his Grace as he sees fit. Ghandi for instance wasn't a Christian but he lived a very Christlike life and believed in Christ's teachings. According to your reading of the scripture above are you saying Ghandi wouldn't be allowed into Heaven?
I'm in no position to judge the heart of Ghandi, so I have no answer to this. But I know that the Bible is perfectly clear that you must believe that Jesus died for your sin to get into heaven. The entire Old Testament is leading up to this point and the entire New Testament is laying it out in childlike fashion. John 3:16John 14:6Acts 16:31Romans 6:23Ephesians 2:8-9Titus 3:5I John 1:9
You're blind then. The word 'Christian' has evolved.
Sadly, this is true. Much like the Democratic party, the word Christian is as for sale as anything else is. But, that's o.k.- that just bears the scriptures to be true. Few will be saved, narrow is the way, etc. I find it interesting how so many people can read the scriptures, they know about false teachings and the whole guilty of one guilty of all aspect, and still allow false prophets to lead them astray. I know that people want smooth things, I know that people want to be deceived, that way they can attempt to live with a clear conscience, but it still amazes me how easily it happens. The word "Christian" has evolved in mans eyes, I agree completely, but in this war mans eyes mean nothing.
Jesus can distribute his grace as he sees fit within the confines of what God laid out. For lack of better words there are rules and regulations attached. I believe Ghandi was a good man, that being said I do not know what Ghandi believed insomuch as the details behind it. Did he believe that through Christ was the only way to salvation? If he did that would be the starting point. If he didn't he would be eliminated right out of the gate. I don't mean did he struggle with doubt, we all do, I mean did he see Christ as just a way vs. the only way? From what I have read of Ghandi he believed Christ teachings to a point, which in this war is not enough. To be honest, it's the only thing I personally do not like about Christianity, there will be many that the world defines as "good" that God will not define as so. Now, that being said I am only man, so it's natural for me to feel that way, I do not see things for how God sees them sometimes. I love a close friend of mine, and he is gay as the day is long, and cares not for God in any tangible way. That being said, he is one of my more reliable friends, by all accounts a stand up guy, but I know he will not be granted entrance into heaven if he died today. I struggle with that thought all of the time.
Thanks for fagging up a perfectly good thread you two.
Dude, I played in a cash game with you on Stars like 3 months back and you ignored me in the chat box. YOU'RE DEAD TO ME. Took one pot off of you with BS holdings and you got the hell out of that room.
Dude, I played in a cash game with you on Stars like 3 months back and you ignored me in the chat box. YOU'RE DEAD TO ME. Took one pot off of you with BS holdings and you got the hell out of that room.
I have no idea what you're talking about at all. Unless I'm talking in chat, I'm almost never paying attention to it.
I have no idea what you're talking about at all. Unless I'm talking in chat, I'm almost never paying attention to it.
Likely story. You're not really dead to me. Truth is you're one of the last bastions of entertainment on this site.
Likely story. You're not really dead to me. Truth is you're one of the last bastions of entertainment on this site.
Thanks for fagging up a perfectly good thread.

Haven't read the thread up to this point, just replying on my own.I remember that video and it's very decent of Penn to say what he's saying.It's a bit difficult to appreciate Christians who do that when they're told to do so in the Bible. It becomes harder to discern in a Chrstian whether they actually care about you or not then with people who aren't told to do so.With personal experience, some Christians even come off as patronizing.

I started reading this thread because Penn's point, at least so far as a Christian who ISN'T trying to "save" you is a hypocrite. Then as I kept reading I lost all interest in that particular point because of the posts by Christians, or so-called Christians, are so absurd and silly that I almost can't believe you people actually function in society. It's a good thing that nobody wants to "talk religion or politics" because a lot of people would be embarrassed to death if they started bringing up this tripe in casual conversation with me.

I started reading this thread because Penn's point, at least so far as a Christian who ISN'T trying to "save" you is a hypocrite. Then as I kept reading I lost all interest in that particular point because of the posts by Christians, or so-called Christians, are so absurd and silly that I almost can't believe you people actually function in society. It's a good thing that nobody wants to "talk religion or politics" because a lot of people would be embarrassed to death if they started bringing up this tripe in casual conversation with me.
Why would we be scared or embarrassed to have a conversation with you? That doesn't make any sense. I would love to sit down with you at the bar with a couple beers and just talk religion. Conversations, unlike debates, are relaxed and enjoyable to all parties.Also: Jesus loves you, and the Earth is 4,000 years old. (The Jews planted the fossils)
Why would we be scared or embarrassed to have a conversation with you? That doesn't make any sense. I would love to sit down with you at the bar with a couple beers and just talk religion. Conversations, unlike debates, are relaxed and enjoyable to all parties.Also: Jesus loves you, and the Earth is 4,000 years old. (The Jews planted the fossils)
Well, not all of you would be afraid or embarrassed. If a person likes beer, whether they be Christian, Buddhist, atheist, Muslim or sociopath or even a Chinamen (haha, I'm pretending like I'm racist against the Chinese, and calling them "Chinamen", which probably isn't even a word, and if it is, is derogatory, haha)... if they like beer we are pretty much blood brothers. By blood brothers I mean we will drink and go upon adventures to faraway lands and possibly galaxies to find lulz and fight aliens and ogres. And Giant Spitting Frogs. And pick up chicks. And dudes if that's how it goes down in other galaxies and we take the "when in Rome" mentality. Provided my blood brother"s religion doesn't bar them from banging alien dudes. And provided the alien dudes are built like earth chicks. Because even without religion I'm not down with banging dudes. And robots. We'll fight and bang robots too. Because they are really strong and so would make for good enemies and lovers. God I love beer. Cold, crisp, frothing beer in a chilled glass... so... good... what the fuck were we talking about?