Name That Movie Contest 2

I'm not saying that anything has taken over DVD sales. I'm saying that people that are currently buying DVD's are crazy. It is the same as the people that were still buying VHS tapes in 1999-2001. It's a waste of money. It also an extra level of waste to buy 1400 of them and not even watch 20%. That's all I'm saying. If wktsway wants to collect them or something that's his business and would make sense. Other than that, flushing a $20 bill down the toilet would produce the same results.
But you can't flush that same $20 bill down the toilet repeatedly but you can watch a Babe DVD over and over and over again as long as you have a TV/Computer and a DVD player/Drive. I think the results are a little different.
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you're talking about Blu-Ray, and again, if Blu-Ray is responsible for even a tenth of total DVD sales, I'd be amazed.
Blu-ray was something around 3% of movies sold last year, it's not exactly winning over the market with 30 dollar a piece movies in a shitty economy.
I'm not saying that anything has taken over DVD sales. I'm saying that people that are currently buying DVD's are crazy. It is the same as the people that were still buying VHS tapes in 1999-2001. It's a waste of money. It also an extra level of waste to buy 1400 of them and not even watch 20%. That's all I'm saying. If wktsway wants to collect them or something that's his business and would make sense. Other than that, flushing a $20 bill down the toilet would produce the same results.
what about $20 in Schrute bucks?
I'm not saying that anything has taken over DVD sales. I'm saying that people that are currently buying DVD's are crazy. It is the same as the people that were still buying VHS tapes in 1999-2001. It's a waste of money.
Totally agree with you on that, I used to be a terrible offender on both counts. Now I have boxes full of VHS tapes taking up space in my basement, and shelves full of DVD's in my den. 5 years ago I would buy 3-4 DVD's per week, every week (same for VHS before that), now I'd be surprised if I buy 3-4 per year. Reason for this was I'm basically banned for life from Blockbuster because they think I owe them $400 for 4 movies that I'm absolutely positive I returned, and there weren't many other options for DVD rental before Netflix hit big. The last DVD I bought was the Blu-ray edition of Band of Brothers, and that was in December. Before that, I can't even remember. I ask for the ones I'm really interested in owning for birthdays and Christmas, everything else I get on Netflix and watch it the same "once" that I would if I owned it. I own the 1998 version of Godzilla with Matthew Broderick. I own Hollow Man. I own the Replacements, which is a pretty solid movie but I certainly didn't need to spend $20 on it. I have stuff on VHS that I haven't even thought about actually watching in 10 years, and I'm not even 100% sure I have a working VHS player in my house at this moment.
But you can't flush that same $20 bill down the toilet repeatedly but you can watch a Babe DVD over and over and over again as long as you have a TV/Computer and a DVD player/Drive. I think the results are a little different.
If you're actually watching the movie, then that situation doesn't apply to what I'm talking about.
Blu-ray was something around 3% of movies sold last year, it's not exactly winning over the market with 30 dollar a piece movies in a shitty economy.
That's much more in line with what I was thinking. I like the picture on my Blu-ray discs (I think I own 3 movies in that format, Spiderman 3 which came with my PS3, The Dark Knight, and Band of Brothers), but they're ridic expensive and I don't really buy movies anymore, as previously explained. I might consider replacing some of my DVD's with the better quality if the price comes down, but at $30 a pop they can essentially fuck themselves.
Totally agree with you on that, I used to be a terrible offender on both counts. Now I have boxes full of VHS tapes taking up space in my basement, and shelves full of DVD's in my den. 5 years ago I would buy 3-4 DVD's per week, every week (same for VHS before that), now I'd be surprised if I buy 3-4 per year. Reason for this was I'm basically banned for life from Blockbuster because they think I owe them $400 for 4 movies that I'm absolutely positive I returned, and there weren't many other options for DVD rental before Netflix hit big. The last DVD I bought was the Blu-ray edition of Band of Brothers, and that was in December. Before that, I can't even remember. I ask for the ones I'm really interested in owning for birthdays and Christmas, everything else I get on Netflix and watch it the same "once" that I would if I owned it. I own the 1998 version of Godzilla with Matthew Broderick. I own Hollow Man. I own the Replacements, which is a pretty solid movie but I certainly didn't need to spend $20 on it. I have stuff on VHS that I haven't even thought about actually watching in 10 years, and I'm not even 100% sure I have a working VHS player in my house at this moment.
I may as well have posted this. It's exactly my situations. I think I own about 300 DVD's... but I haven't purchased one since early 2008. I think the blu-ray version of Band of Brothers was a solid purchase, btw.
I don't buy them much anymore. I'd say out of the 15-20% I have never seen, my wife has seen all but maybe 5%.And I do not think I've bought very many of them over $14 except for TV series and some special editions of movies we really liked.We were probably buying 4-6 per week a couple of years ago when they went on sale at Best Buy (and got a shitload of rewardzone money back at about 10% of our purchases).Now we are maybe getting 1-2 per month of ones we have seen in theaters we really liked or ones we really wanted to see but never got a chance to. I figure spending $10 on a movie is a lot cheaper than going to the movie to see it at $10 each + then she always wants to buy the outrageously priced popcorn and pop.We don't spend money on smoking or drinking, so we spend it on DVDs....that was always our logic behind it...and now that we don't buy them as much anymore, we are saving for the future and have a lot of entertainment at home with a big DVD and lots of movies to pick from.
I don't buy them much anymore. I'd say out of the 15-20% I have never seen, my wife has seen all but maybe 5%.And I do not think I've bought very many of them over $14 except for TV series and some special editions of movies we really liked.We were probably buying 4-6 per week a couple of years ago when they went on sale at Best Buy (and got a shitload of rewardzone money back at about 10% of our purchases).Now we are maybe getting 1-2 per month of ones we have seen in theaters we really liked or ones we really wanted to see but never got a chance to. I figure spending $10 on a movie is a lot cheaper than going to the movie to see it at $10 each + then she always wants to buy the outrageously priced popcorn and pop.We don't spend money on smoking or drinking, so we spend it on DVDs....that was always our logic behind it...and now that we don't buy them as much anymore, we are saving for the future and have a lot of entertainment at home with a big DVD and lots of movies to pick from.
I wasn't at all trying to attack you personally. What you do with your money is your business.
Come on Jackson! Where's round 3! and the scores to round 2! We know you're not a busy guy! ! !! !!
An earthquake hit 12 miles north of his house this morning. He is probably fine, but I txted him and he hasn't gotten back. He is probably still asleep. :club:

Can't believe I missed Fargo and Spaceballs!! I found a place that sells new and used DVDS and takes trade ins for cash or store credit (which ends up twice the value of the cash). It works out great for the collection of kids cartoons and old movies we didn't like. Trade 'em in. :club:

An earthquake hit 12 miles north of his house this morning. He is probably fine, but I txted him and he hasn't gotten back. He is probably still asleep. :club:
4.4 is barely an earthquake for a native Californian. :)However, internet was down again until now (or at least it started working when I got up from my nap, rough life I know) so I am way behind schedule. I am playing online tonight, so I probably won't be able to post round 3 until later tonight, or tomorrow. Either way I will give you guys until Saturday to get me the answers since I am lagging.
4.4 is barely an earthquake for a native Californian. :)However, internet was down again until now (or at least it started working when I got up from my nap, rough life I know) so I am way behind schedule. I am playing online tonight, so I probably won't be able to post round 3 until later tonight, or tomorrow. Either way I will give you guys until Saturday to get me the answers since I am lagging.
your disappointingness will not go unpunished!

Results through round 2:Suited Up - 18/18Whalers2005 - 18/18Chrozzo - 18/18Piddle Duck 18/18Figger - 17/18Brvheart - 17/18Ajs510 - 17/18Nvrquit - 17/18WKTSWAY - 17/18Balloon Guy - 16/18Hank213 - 16/18Slapstick - 15/18Governator - 13/18GeneralGeeWhiz - 12/18Janfor99 - 11/18Gallo - 9/18donk4life - 8/18speedz99 - 8/18SuitedAces21 - 8/18Moneyball16 - 6/18quadaces - 5/18WhiterSr - 5/18eYank - 5/18In an event of a tie for any spot, I'll obviously have an 'image off' of some sort. :)No one missed #9 out of the people that submitted guesses, and the most difficult ended up being #2. You guys did well, but I def made things easier this time around. Round 3 I will post in a sec.

Results through round 2:Suited Up - 18/18Whalers2005 - 18/18Chrozzo - 18/18Brvheart - 17/18Piddle Duck 17/18Ajs510 - 17/18Nvrquit - 17/18WKTSWAY - 17/18Balloon Guy - 16/18Hank213 - 16/18Slapstick - 15/18Governator - 13/18GeneralGeeWhiz - 12/18Janfor99 - 11/18donk4life - 8/18speedz99 - 8/18Figger - 8/18SuitedAces21 - 8/18Moneyball16 - 6/18quadaces - 5/18WhiterSr - 5/18eYank - 5/18In an event of a tie for any spot, I'll obviously have an 'image off' of some sort. :)No one missed #9 out of the people that submitted guesses, and the most difficult ended up being #2. You guys did well, but I def made things easier this time around. Round 3 I will post in a sec.
Um...HELLO!! What about THIS guy?!?<------------------------------
Results through round 2:Suited Up - 18/18Whalers2005 - 18/18Chrozzo - 18/18Brvheart - 17/18Piddle Duck 17/18Ajs510 - 17/18Nvrquit - 17/18WKTSWAY - 17/18Balloon Guy - 16/18Hank213 - 16/18Slapstick - 15/18Governator - 13/18GeneralGeeWhiz - 12/18Janfor99 - 11/18donk4life - 8/18speedz99 - 8/18Figger - 8/18SuitedAces21 - 8/18Moneyball16 - 6/18quadaces - 5/18WhiterSr - 5/18eYank - 5/18In an event of a tie for any spot, I'll obviously have an 'image off' of some sort. :)No one missed #9 out of the people that submitted guesses, and the most difficult ended up being #2. You guys did well, but I def made things easier this time around. Round 3 I will post in a sec.
I guess I have it set up not to keep my sent pm's so I can't see but what exactly did I get wrong?Looking at my notes, I did not miss any this last round. I even added the whole Rickky Bobby part of the title for Nights.
I guess I have it set up not to keep my sent pm's so I can't see but what exactly did I get wrong?Looking at my notes, I did not miss any this last round. I even added the whole Rickky Bobby part of the title for Nights.
Ummm, you didn't miss any, my bad. Maybe I was just trying to make sure there isn't a repeat champ. ;)Fixed the list.

Let me tell you something, the haphazard manner in which this contest has been run makes me not even want to play anymore. As a sign of protest I will only get two, maaaaybe three, correct in the next round.

I only have answers for you for the 2nd round Gallo; did you not do the 1st round or did I f up?
Yeah I didn't do the 1st round.
Lol, I don't even have you on my spreadsheet Gallo, let me see what I did. :club:
You missed me too. I even had my answers to you by Tuesday.And I know I got them allllll.