2008 Academy Award Nominations

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reasonably surprised that Robert Downey Jr. got nominated for the Three Amigos sequel. I didn't particularly like the movie, I didn't think his character was particularly 'complex' (although he certainly was funny, and the movie's saving grace), but mostly I just don't see why they decided to nominate somebody for playing a decent comedy role in a mediocre comedy. They never nominate straight comedies for anything, and I don't see why they decided to start with Downey. Maybe they just needed something to make The Dark Knight look less out of place at the Oscars.

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha. I didn't even think of that, I'm the worst, and so is Tropic Thunder.
Yeah, admittedly I didn't even realize it myself until my friend said it, but it's the exact same plot, and there's even three of them!And to further my other point, is RDJ more deserving of a nomination than say Martin Short was? I just don't get it.http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/...ree_amigos.html
HAHAHAH That was awesome. I've known the whole time that Button was written by the Gump guy, but I didn't mention it because I actually liked Gump. (Even though I hated Button)
Indeed it was awesome. (I haven't seen Button.)So...Forrest Gump wasn't really about Forrest Gump, it was about America. (Right? Sort of a culture, counter-culture thing.) Does Button take that same approach?In spite of the negative reviews here, I still plan on seeing it, but I bet I'm going to have a hard time not thinking about the comparisons to Gump now.I apologize in advance for making you think about this movie again.

I really didnt think Mickey Rourke had much of a shot to win Best Actor. The film wasnt nearly as good as his performance. But him winning the Bafta really makes me think that people are recognizing that he should win. As far as Slumdog is concerned, I think its a really good movie, which is all it takes to win Best Picture. Frozen River was a great movie and that broad should win Best Actress. Has anyone seen 'rachel getting married'? Anne Hathaway was damn good but the fact that she appears in so much soupy dreck is going to hurt her chances. Also, dont be surprised if Josh Brolin wins for milk. I will guarantee it.

Also, dont be surprised if Josh Brolin wins for milk. I will guarantee it.
Oh, that reminds me (because Roger Ebert guaranteed Heath Ledger would win), what the hell happened to Roger Ebert? I saw a preview for an interview with him and I had flashbacks of The Ring. I'm sure he has some sort of crippling disease and his story is inspirational and I'm being an ass here, but god damn.
Indeed it was awesome. (I haven't seen Button.)So...Forrest Gump wasn't really about Forrest Gump, it was about America. (Right? Sort of a culture, counter-culture thing.) Does Button take that same approach?In spite of the negative reviews here, I still plan on seeing it, but I bet I'm going to have a hard time not thinking about the comparisons to Gump now.I apologize in advance for making you think about this movie again.
Oh, that reminds me (because Roger Ebert guaranteed Heath Ledger would win), what the hell happened to Roger Ebert? I saw a preview for an interview with him and I had flashbacks of The Ring. I'm sure he has some sort of crippling disease and his story is inspirational and I'm being an ass here, but god damn.
I'm not totally sure if you wanted answers to these questions, but here's a cliff notes of answers:1. I hated Benjamin Button, which you already know. This is due mainly to my overwhelming hatred of The English Patient and how much this movie reminded me of that movie. Also it's length was horrific. The editor should be shot. 1b. I really LOVE Zodiac and Seven, so David Fincher is a director I respect.2. Ben Button was very well made and looks really really good. 3. I would not be surprised if you or anyone else liked the movie a lot, especially after hearing negative reviews. I, on the other hand, was really excited to see it (probably because of Fincher) and my expectations destroyed the movie for me.4. There is absolutely no way that you are not going to be able to separate it from Forrest Gump. It IS Forrest Gump in reverse.5. Roger Ebert is very sick (as someone already said, "He has the cancer" <<<--- anyone get the reference?), and that makes me sad. I really miss the show. It's one of the few shows that I really looked forward too on my DVR.6. To get you excited and try to build your expectations... read A.O. Scott's review. http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/movie...oes&ei=5083
Really? I just saw the article today... my bad
I'm just giving you crap Tanner, you're my boy! (not about Hugh though... that really did come out in October).

I just finished watching Doubt. I had been putting it off because it didn't seem interesting to me. I was wrong. It was great. I don't think I liked the ending though. Has anyone else seen it? Let's talk about the ending.

• 4 months later...
I just finished watching Doubt. I had been putting it off because it didn't seem interesting to me. I was wrong. It was great. I don't think I liked the ending though. Has anyone else seen it? Let's talk about the ending.
What didn't you like about the ending?Also, I was disappointed in The Wrestler.
What didn't you like about the ending?Also, I was disappoited in The Wrestler.
Listen J's, you can't go quoting posts from like several years ago and e pect me to have an answer. I don't even remember the ending to doubt. Quit leaving the forum for years at a time and then we can have a meaningful discussion. (I'll try to rewatch it this weekend)I'm fairly surprised you didn't like the wrestler. You and I have very very similiar movie tastes... And I loved it.
  • 6 months later...