The Official Obama Scorecard Thread

just wait till the middle class goes a couple more years with stagnet wages...
stagnant wages for the middle class might as well be the bumper sticker for the GOP. end of the US as we know it....exactly the sort of nonsense Jon Stewart was talking about at his rally. what a joke.
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

President Obama ordered the cabinet to cut $100,000,000.00 ($100 million) from the $3,500,000,000,000.00 ($3.5 trillion) federal budget.   I'm so impressed by this sacrifice that I have decided to

^^^^this is right on^^^^^this is insane
the thing is, no one has responded to the meat of what mk said. if you disagree with him, at least write a few lines telling us why. "THIS" posts are completely useless.
stagnant wages for the middle class might as well be the bumper sticker for the GOP. end of the US as we know it....exactly the sort of nonsense Jon Stewart was talking about at his rally. what a joke.
this health care bill and governemnt spending in general...yea left unchecked it could be that. I don't think it will happen because i really believe it will be pulled back in some fashion.if you believe our government can continue to spend at the rates of which it has for the last 10 yrs (of that period in time the last 2 have been worse then first 8 combined) and sustain itself you and jon stewart or whoever else you want to trot out there are sadly mistaken.
What was the meat of what he said?
That if you are1.) a student of history, and therefore aware of what happened re: fiscal and monetary policy in the 20s and 30s and 2.) someone formally trained in economics and3.) in charge of making policy decisionsyou would come to the same conclusions that Professor Bernanke has and act similarly.Although, I'm guessing, because you're really smart you gathered all of that from what I've written a billion times already and are just being snarky, attempting to imply that I really never say anything.
Although, I'm guessing, because you're really smart you gathered all of that from what I've written a billion times already and are just being snarky, attempting to imply that I really never say anything.
I wouldn't say "never" say anything. I think in this instance you merely provided your opinion on something, as well read as it might be, and I think it wasn't really any different from how hblask posted.I mean, come on, I'm trying to formulate an opinion on something I don't know anything about and all I can do is decide whose opinion is most trustworthy."Well, you could read up-"ALL. I. CAN. DO.But it seems like your primary argument is that your opinion is the most trustworthy.Hmm. You've swayed me.I agree with mk.
the thing is, no one has responded to the meat of what mk said. if you disagree with him, at least write a few lines telling us why. "THIS" posts are completely useless.
Nah dude, I nominate hblask and akoff for the next Fed chairmanship. They're clearly way more qualified than Bernanke, who is a no-talent ass clown. Totally have better ideas.

to me, the comical part of this perpetual discussion is that we've got someone that derives his income from an area of the private sector that very directly interacts with these policy moves (e.g. bernanke says we're doing QE2 and mk judges what impact that will have on securities/markets/economies) and we just dismiss everything he says. why doesn't your hard-on for private expertise extend into the bond market?the one actual criticism I've seen re: his credibility was scram's diatribe on algos, which really isn't an accurate description of what mk does.

But it seems like your primary argument is that your opinion is the most trustworthy.
Do you think history books are opinion? Do you think what happened in 1930 is still up for debate?
to me, the comical part of this perpetual discussion is that we've got someone that derives his income from an area of the private sector that very directly interacts with these policy moves (e.g. bernanke says we're doing QE2 and mk judges what impact that will have on securities/markets/economies) and we just dismiss everything he says. why doesn't your hard-on for private expertise extend into the bond market?the one actual criticism I've seen re: his credibility was scram's diatribe on algos, which really isn't an accurate description of what mk does.
what does hblask do for a living? i'm gonna start some threads about whatever that is and post stuff that's totally wrong just to make his head explode.
Do you think history books are opinion? Do you think what happened in 1930 is still up for debate?
I don't think what happened is up for debate. It seems to me that why it happened is still very much a big debate. But I don't know anything about this and that's why it strikes me as odd that it sure feels to me like there are educated opinions on both sides and yet you are saying decisively that there is no possible way it could be the other side.I'm just trying to be honest with how I experience these discussions.
to me, the comical part of this perpetual discussion is that we've got someone that derives his income from an area of the private sector that very directly interacts with these policy moves (e.g. bernanke says we're doing QE2 and mk judges what impact that will have on securities/markets/economies) and we just dismiss everything he says. why doesn't your hard-on for private expertise extend into the bond market?
Serious question: could somebody who doesn't share mk's views also derive his income from the same field?
what does hblask do for a living? i'm gonna start some threads about whatever that is and post stuff that's totally wrong just to make his head explode.
he's in IT."do not listen to the revisionist historians; Windows ME was the apex of modern computing"
I don't think what happened is up for debate. It seems to me that why it happened is still very much a big debate. But I don't know anything about this and that's why it strikes me as odd that it sure feels to me like there are educated opinions on both sides and yet you are saying decisively that there is no possible way it could be the other side.I'm just trying to be honest with how I experience these discussions.Serious question: could somebody who doesn't share mk's views also derive his income from the same field?
I'm not sharing a view or an opinion. Or, I suppose my opinion is that Ben Bernanke, one of the leading scholars in the world on financial crises, the Great Depression and monetary policy is probably a better judge of the correct course of monetary policy than hblask, FCP forum poster and history revisionist.
he's in IT."do not listen to the revisionist historians; Windows ME was the apex of modern computing"
Cloud computing destroys dedicated servers; this is not up for debate. I've read a lot about this.
I'm not sharing a view or an opinion. Or, I suppose my opinion is that Ben Bernanke, one of the leading scholars in the world on financial crises, the Great Depression and monetary policy is probably a better judge of the correct course of monetary policy than hblask, FCP forum poster and history revisionist.
For what it's worth, I wasn't really talking about hb, so much as all the authors of all the books that I haven't read.
Nah dude, I nominate hblask and akoff for the next Fed chairmanship. They're clearly way more qualified than Bernanke, who is a no-talent ass clown. Totally have better ideas.
Running the Fed would certainly be a job I am not qualified for, hiring a guy and letting them do it would be no problem. Running our government...i don't know how you define qualified but yea i would be willing to bet i could do considerably better then the current admin...to say nothing of the congress. most any business person in charge of a decent sized company would do better.
FDR's policies undoubtedly turned the tide of the depression and led to the widest expansion of the U.S. economy in history (to that point).
Your ideology is blinding you. Only a minority of economists now believe that *anything* FDR did helped, and the evidence is overwhelming that it hurt. You might have been able to sell this crap in the 50s and 60s, but economics has moved beyond the failed notions of infallible central planners.
It wouldn't make my head explode; it's what I expect from trolls.
Your ideology is blinding you. Only a minority of economists now believe that *anything* FDR did helped, and the evidence is overwhelming that it hurt. You might have been able to sell this crap in the 50s and 60s, but economics has moved beyond the failed notions of infallible central planners.
WatSeriously, you are so far gone off your libertarian rocker it's insane. Maybe a majority of the crackpot libertarian economists you pay attention to think this, but to say a MINORITY of economists believe this is just PURE LOL.Bernanke, professional hack: “Only with the New Deal’s rehabilitation of the financial system in 1933-35 did the economy begin its slow emergence from the Great Depression.”Milton Friedman, god of hblask: [FDIC was] "the structural change most conducive to monetary stability since ... the Civil War.”But, as Schlesinger said, history is an argument without end. hblask and the right, keeping revisionism fashionable.
Only a minority of economists now believe that *anything* FDR did helped, and the evidence is overwhelming that it hurt.
This is not true. I definitely lean pretty Austrian, but a statement like that could only exist in a theoretical vacuum. At the end of the day, you still have to resolve the human factors. You're judging his success and failure based on his strict adherence to Austrian principles (closer-to = success, further-away = failure) and whatever comeuppances we're now facing because of natural Keynesian cycling, including some that have been brewing for a long time and some others that are a fiscal can we just keep kicking down the road. Unfortunately, a capitalist Republic with a democratic system cannot exist by economic ideals alone, as every bust left unaddressed by the government would inevitably lead to the election of the hard left (Marx knew this and LOL'd about it...) As such, if the system itself is to be preserved, the government must intervene on certain macro stuff. A Capitalist Republic is just as much about preserving a certain 'sentiment' amongst the populace as it is facilitating productivity. If that sentiment goes belly-up, the whole system goes to shit. From time to time, the overseers must be benevolent and shorten the bread lines.Doesn't fit in with any particular ideology, but a totally, totally necessary thing lest the Capitalist sentiment break and the rabble storms the gates.
Milton Friedman, god of hblask: [FDIC was] "the structural change most conducive to monetary stability since ... the Civil War.”
It was, but only because we also undertook the gigantic ideological shift to fiat at the same time. You can't trot out the 'benefits' of a small, relative measure that itself was entirely contingent on a much larger decision (Gold Reserve Act) that was a fundamental mistake to begin with. Too late now- can't undo any of this unless we take the Banana Republic Route, do a complete devaluation and repeg to a new currency product. Won't ever happen, pipe dream. We just inflate. FDIC combined with full-faith and otherwise good credit led to a very stable currency product over the years and FDIC played a role in the faith the public had in banks, but stay tuned... The 'currency' paradigm has shifted in a big way...