Villian is 17 vpip, 13 pf raise and only .8 aggression factorPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comWhatever (UTG) ($76.80)MP ($36.35)CO ($55.20)Button ($104.40)SB ($54.95)BB ($33.25)Preflop: Whatever is UTG with A :club:, A :5cWhatever raises to $1.50, 3 folds, SB calls $1.25, 1 foldFlop: ($3.50) 8 :qh, 7 :ts, 4 :3h(2 players)SB checks, Whatever bets $2.50, SB calls $2.50Turn: ($8.50) 3 :D(2 players)SB checks, Whatever bets $3.50, SB raises to $9, Whatever calls $5.50River: ($26.50) 9 :4h(2 players)SB bets $19, Am I beat?

I think getting check-raised on the turn is pretty powerful medicine coming from a player who runs only ".8 aggression factor."What are your stats? You're beaten by about every set that can be mined for and almost every middle suited connector that is playable from the SB. The only reasonable hand you beat that plays it this way EDIT EDIT from the SB are the TT - KK range, but I think they RR PF, so I discount the possibility of those holdings.

At these limits, with such a raggy board, your opponent is not making a move to bluff you out of your hand often enough for the river call to be a profitable one in the long run IMO. It looks as though he slowplayed a set on the flop or made a small straight with suited connectors, and is trying to get maximum value, figuring you may be holding Queens, Kings or Aces.

why the weak turn bet? looks like that is the root of the problem here.i bet $6.5-8 on the turn and fold to a raise. also checking behind turn is option although my default would be b/f.

The first mistake is the weak turn bet. You're better off just to check it back if you're scared to put money in. The tiny bet just makes it impossible to fold, imho, because even the most passive people see your bet as weakness.If we made a normal bet on the turn (which I generally prefer to do, instead of a turn check/river call), I'm folding to basically any raise, especially against this guy's AF.

Yeah your beat, hes not trying to push you off the hand, hes value betting on the river, hes not really afraid of anything, I think he has straight or set, straight I think, he flat calls with his flopped straight, then a second club comes out so he raises to make more expensive for you to chase, then value bets river.

99% of weak players will wait for the turn to push their strong hands. This looks so much like a set and so little like anything else. Another angle is that villain has responded to your small turn bet because he has a strong hand and wants to get all the money in. Your turn bet is small enough that by just calling the pot won't be big enough on the river for you to stick it all in, so he has to raise now to keep building the pot.

99% of weak players will wait for the turn to push their strong hands. This looks so much like a set and so little like anything else. Another angle is that villain has responded to your small turn bet because he has a strong hand and wants to get all the money in. Your turn bet is small enough that by just calling the pot won't be big enough on the river for you to stick it all in, so he has to raise now to keep building the pot.
Explain? If I flopped a set on this board and knew villain to be leading quite often (and betting turn if he had an overpair or caught an overcard and I just called flop), waiting till the turn in the hopes that he'll catch up sounds like a strong play to me.
Explain? If I flopped a set on this board and knew villain to be leading quite often (and betting turn if he had an overpair or caught an overcard and I just called flop), waiting till the turn in the hopes that he'll catch up sounds like a strong play to me.
Well this will be vague, but the faster you play your hands on the flop the more action you will get especially as you rise up from $25nl-$100nl (those are just the stakes I have experience with. Donks like to trap, so they don't often put a lot of money in on the flop. Donks also like to call not raise. When a donk raises you and it's past the flop it's very likely they have 1pr hands crushed.If you flopped a set you should play it fast on the flop, people aren't used to it, boards can get dangerous, and people don't fold overpairs on flops, but they can on turns. Plus once you play those fast you can play your draws fast. As a general rule play sets/2pr/combo draws very aggro on the flop and every street, pot control 1pr hands, and you'll crush micros.
Nothing to do with this thread, but this is why I want to raise bigger in the TT hand where we got LRR'ed pf.
Yeah, you're right in that thread, imo. I think with board being that drawy we don't want to see a lot of cards because they'll kill action.

Villain has 78 suited at a minimum, possibly a set.If he were making a play at a dry board, he would have check raised you on the flop with TPTK or something similar to get you off your Ax C-Bet.As hard as it is, this is a fold. Especially with his stats.

• 4 weeks later...