Wtf Of The Day Thread

When i was a middle manager at a large media company (cause conglamorate is hard to spell) I took a course on effective discipline and dismissal.It was imperative that any discipline for employees be in writing, explain the bad behaviour and outline the escalating consequences if the behaviour was not rectified. Simply, you couldn't fire an employee, except in unusual circumstances, without telling them beforehand that they might be fired.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meth-addled alleged masturbator taken down by 15 cops

Posted Images

We should probably keep hblask from this article; his head might explode.
What's weird is, I think Australia is ahead of the US now in the Index of Economic Freedom -- how sad is it that we are behind a country where you not only can't be fired for incompetence, but you have to be KEPT because of it.
When i was a middle manager at a large media company (cause conglamorate is hard to spell) I took a course on effective discipline and dismissal.It was imperative that any discipline for employees be in writing, explain the bad behaviour and outline the escalating consequences if the behaviour was not rectified. Simply, you couldn't fire an employee, except in unusual circumstances, without telling them beforehand that they might be fired.
times have changed, old man. thanks to our "liberal" government here in BC, now i can fire someone for any reason i want, including just plain not liking their shoes, and i don't have to give them any warnings or anything. i found that out as a VERY irate, fired member of the downtrodden masses. so i did what any halfway intelligent person would do and became The Man. now i'm the one doing the firing. it's far more satisfying.
times have changed, old man. thanks to our "liberal" government here in BC, now i can fire someone for any reason i want, including just plain not liking their shoes, and i don't have to give them any warnings or anything. i found that out as a VERY irate, fired member of the downtrodden masses. so i did what any halfway intelligent person would do and became The Man. now i'm the one doing the firing. it's far more satisfying.
I was also dealing with unionized employees, so there was that extra layer of complication.
What's weird is, I think Australia is ahead of the US now in the Index of Economic Freedom -- how sad is it that we are behind a country where you not only can't be fired for incompetence, but you have to be KEPT because of it.
No chance those rankings are as bogus as the health care rankings? I call BS.
No chance those rankings are as bogus as the health care rankings? I call BS.
You can look up their methodology, if you disagree with any of it, send them suggestions on how to fix it.
You can look up their methodology, if you disagree with any of it, send them suggestions on how to fix it.
I'm just saying it is not like you to just take a set of stats at face value. I feel very economically free.
  • 2 weeks later...

Continental CEO will cancel flights before fines[scyukon, this is from ap here]DALLAS – Continental Airlines plans to cancel flights rather than risk stiff fines under new federal rules designed to punish carriers for delaying passengers.CEO Jeff Smisek said Tuesday the result will be that passengers will have more trouble getting to their destinations.A spokesman for the U.S. Transportation Department said airlines can avoid fines by doing a better job of scheduling flights and crews.Under a Transportation Department rule taking effect next month, airlines can be fined up to $27,500 per passenger if planes are delayed three hours and passengers can't get off.Smisek said at an investor conference in New York that long delays are rare, and mostly caused by an outdated air traffic control system that the government has failed to upgrade.Airline industry officials say they should decide whether to wait out delays, even if the delays go past three hours.Smisek said many passengers on delayed flights "really want to go to LA or Mumbai, but the government by God says, 'We're going to fine you $27,500.' Here's what we're going to do: We're going to cancel the flight."Because airlines have cut flights, leaving the remaining ones more crowded, passengers will have fewer chances to rebook on another flight. Passengers, he said, won't get to their destinations "for maybe days."Transportation Department spokesman Bill Mosley said the new rules will help consumers pick airlines that don't have tarmac delays or that routinely cancel their flights."Carriers have it within their power to schedule their flights more realistically, to have spare aircraft and crews available to avoid cancellations" and to rebook passengers when there are cancellations, Mosley said.The new rules grew out of passenger frustration over incidents in which planes were stuck on the tarmac for hours before takeoff. With Congress considering legislation to crack down on delays, the Transportation Department imposed its own 3-hour rule, including fines of up to $27,500 per passenger.That means that for a fully packed medium-sized plane such as a Boeing 737, fines could top $3.5 million per flight, and go much higher on bigger planes used for international flights.At the same investor conference, Continental estimated it will take in $350 million this year from fees on checked bags — a 30 percent jump from the $270 million it raised last year.Continental recently raised its fees to $25 for the first checked bag and $35 for the second, although elite frequent fliers and some other customers don't have to pay.Houston-based Continental, the nation's No. 4 airline, is still thinking about growing by combining with another airline. Continental cut off merger talks with United Airlines a couple years ago, but both are now smaller in comparison to Delta, which acquired Northwest to become the world's largest airline."If we think it's in our best interest to bulk up defensively, we'll do so," Smisek said.

Continental CEO will cancel flights before fines[scyukon, this is from ap here]DALLAS – Continental Airlines plans to cancel flights rather than risk stiff fines under new federal rules designed to punish carriers for delaying passengers.CEO Jeff Smisek said Tuesday the result will be that passengers will have more trouble getting to their destinations.A spokesman for the U.S. Transportation Department said airlines can avoid fines by doing a better job of scheduling flights and crews.Under a Transportation Department rule taking effect next month, airlines can be fined up to $27,500 per passenger if planes are delayed three hours and passengers can't get off.Smisek said at an investor conference in New York that long delays are rare, and mostly caused by an outdated air traffic control system that the government has failed to upgrade.Airline industry officials say they should decide whether to wait out delays, even if the delays go past three hours.Smisek said many passengers on delayed flights "really want to go to LA or Mumbai, but the government by God says, 'We're going to fine you $27,500.' Here's what we're going to do: We're going to cancel the flight."Because airlines have cut flights, leaving the remaining ones more crowded, passengers will have fewer chances to rebook on another flight. Passengers, he said, won't get to their destinations "for maybe days."Transportation Department spokesman Bill Mosley said the new rules will help consumers pick airlines that don't have tarmac delays or that routinely cancel their flights."Carriers have it within their power to schedule their flights more realistically, to have spare aircraft and crews available to avoid cancellations" and to rebook passengers when there are cancellations, Mosley said.The new rules grew out of passenger frustration over incidents in which planes were stuck on the tarmac for hours before takeoff. With Congress considering legislation to crack down on delays, the Transportation Department imposed its own 3-hour rule, including fines of up to $27,500 per passenger.That means that for a fully packed medium-sized plane such as a Boeing 737, fines could top $3.5 million per flight, and go much higher on bigger planes used for international flights.At the same investor conference, Continental estimated it will take in $350 million this year from fees on checked bags — a 30 percent jump from the $270 million it raised last year.Continental recently raised its fees to $25 for the first checked bag and $35 for the second, although elite frequent fliers and some other customers don't have to pay.Houston-based Continental, the nation's No. 4 airline, is still thinking about growing by combining with another airline. Continental cut off merger talks with United Airlines a couple years ago, but both are now smaller in comparison to Delta, which acquired Northwest to become the world's largest airline."If we think it's in our best interest to bulk up defensively, we'll do so," Smisek said.
Gosh, who would've guessed this would happen? I mean, besides anyone with a brain.
The Internet, having reached it's pinnacle with this video, is now cancelled. Thank you for your time.
Define torture.I'd consider it psychological torture.
Torture ...any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him, or a third person, information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in, or incidental to, lawful sanctions. —UN Convention Against TortureWater boarding is the same as suffocating someone, If not stopped within 30+ seconds people can die.They tested CIA agents with the method, they lasted on average 14 seconds.Definitively torture.