*****official Carolina Hurricanes Thread*****

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will indeed bring my A game tonight my friend.   My A game consists of:   6:30pm: Get home, have dinner 6:55pm: Set up the IPad/bigscreen/laying on the couch like a lazy piece of sh*t design mo

Hurricanes taking applications for general manager job through Twitter   https://www.nhl.com/...0?tid=281396148     Those of you in the AHL, I will be using you guys as references, thanks! (And

Did Tlusty bring his own erotic photos?

lol...picked up Skinner as an FA last week, after Dubinsky got hobbled (which was a damn shame, he was almost 1 ppg). That's Dub and Derek Roy I've had to dump for injuries...Thank God it's a 6 team league this inaugural year...GO SKINNER!

who said it...."Well, they were in a fight," "He(Kulemin) got it right in the face. The appropriate action happened. It wasn't a sucker punch or anything. Kulemin was throwing punches with his gloves on and Gleason dropped his gloves and beat him to the punch."

who said it...."Well, they were in a fight," "He(Kulemin) got it right in the face. The appropriate action happened. It wasn't a sucker punch or anything. Kulemin was throwing punches with his gloves on and Gleason dropped his gloves and beat him to the punch."
Ron Wilson?
Don Cherry?

RE: Gleason punchMy initial reaction was outrage, but then I realized that if this was a habs player, or a player from another team, I'd probably be mocking him for starting something that he clearly couldn't finish. I've kind of gone back and forth on this.On the one hand, Kulemin was shoving/punching him in the face with his gloves on, and should be prepared to fight, if he is going to do that.On the other hand, if the gloves are going to come off, there is an unwritten code that the fight shouldn't start until both players drop their gloves, especially when there is a size/strength discrepency. Kulemin clearly wasn't ready/prepared to fight, so you can't just drop the gloves and clock him in the nose. The facewashing/shoving happens in every scrum, and while Kulemin should have been prepared to back up his actions, he should also have been given fair time to actually prepare to fight.So, I think Gleason was in the wrong, but shouldn't be suspended or anything, but he should have a target on his back for the next meeting.

On the other hand, if the gloves are going to come off, there is an unwritten code that the fight shouldn't start until both players drop their gloves, especially when there is a size/strength discrepency.
Wasn't there an unwritten rule that you shouldn't go for the head? I think the game has a lot less respect involved than it used to, imo.
RE: Gleason punchMy initial reaction was outrage, but then I realized that if this was a habs player, or a player from another team, I'd probably be mocking him for starting something that he clearly couldn't finish. I've kind of gone back and forth on this.On the one hand, Kulemin was shoving/punching him in the face with his gloves on, and should be prepared to fight, if he is going to do that.On the other hand, if the gloves are going to come off, there is an unwritten code that the fight shouldn't start until both players drop their gloves, especially when there is a size/strength discrepency. Kulemin clearly wasn't ready/prepared to fight, so you can't just drop the gloves and clock him in the nose. The facewashing/shoving happens in every scrum, and while Kulemin should have been prepared to back up his actions, he should also have been given fair time to actually prepare to fight.So, I think Gleason was in the wrong, but shouldn't be suspended or anything, but he should have a target on his back for the next meeting.
I dont totally disagree with this. Im just not sure what the hell the "code" says about this.I can see that maybe Gleason shouldnt be fighting Kulemin, or at the very least, wait for him to drop his gloves. But on the other hand, Kulemin is clearly taking shots at him in the scrum.And fwiw, that was Gleasons first fighting major of the year, its not like he's a fighter who went after Kulemin.I honestly dont know what the code is. But personally speaking, its tough for me to suspend Gleason for taking a "legal" shot at a guy who was already punching him. By legal, I mean fighting is not suspendable, only an in game penalty. I wouldnt like it one bit though if Orr was doing it to Skinner, so I get the anger. But if Skinner was taking shots at Orr, he must realize its not freebies.Personally, Im against fighting, in that I dont feel the need for it, and dont find it entertaining. One of my favourite things about the Canes is, up til last few weeks, we never even had a "goon".

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but....Gleason speaks“I’ve watched it 30 times, probably more,” he said. “I went home and watched it until 2:30 in the morning. I stand up for myself. I don’t hit people that I know don’t fight, and I actually have zero interest in people that don’t fight.“He came in, and I could have dropped my gloves then when you think about it,” continued Gleason. “I didn’t. I took one (punch), and I didn’t. I took two, and then I figured, well, if you’re going to keep punching me in the face, I don’t know what else to do. I had to protect myself.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnKxV9ilsqo#t=00m40s
Not to keep beating a dead horse, but....Gleason speaks“I’ve watched it 30 times, probably more,” he said. “I went home and watched it until 2:30 in the morning. I stand up for myself. I don’t hit people that I know don’t fight, and I actually have zero interest in people that don’t fight.“He came in, and I could have dropped my gloves then when you think about it,” continued Gleason. “I didn’t. I took one (punch), and I didn’t. I took two, and then I figured, well, if you’re going to keep punching me in the face, I don’t know what else to do. I had to protect myself.”
Why would he call Kulemin?Gleason: Sorry I hit you in the face. It was an accident.Kulemin: Comrade, I did not have my gloves off so don't hit me.Gleason: But you hit me 2x in the face with your gloves on.Kulemin: I do not fight. That is why my gloves are still on. You have to know Russians do not fight. Look at Semin.Gleason: Dude, you hit me in the face I have to defend myself.Kulemin: My gloves are on you don't hit.Gleason: Okay I am sorry, now can you call off Rosehill. I don't want to fight him.Kulemin: No comrade.

I probably would have popped the kid in the jaw too, FWIW. These scrums after the whistle really need to be dealt with by the league, it's worse than playing NHL '11 with your buddies. Whistle goes, everyone goes to flatten the nearest opponent. It's just stupid, pointless, and annoying.(que Arp seeking out the post he made along these same lines last year)

I probably would have popped the kid in the jaw too, FWIW. These scrums after the whistle really need to be dealt with by the league...[/color]
A glove palm to the face should result in a unsportsmanlike behaviour penalty. Would clean up a lot of crap.

I think it was Kulemin who crossed the line. Sure there's a code about fighters not fighting non-fighters, but there comes a point when the non-fighter has to stop. Also, I wouldn't call Gleason a fighter...despite what Clarke MacArthur thinks. The two shots by Kulemin crossed the line, imo. There is a big difference between pushing/yapping and punching a guy in the face a couple of times with your gloves on. Kulemin should be picking up the phone and thanking Gleason for teaching him a lesson that may have saved his life somewhere down the road.

finally got to watch itYeah, ummm, what is the big deal here? Seriously? Why is this even an issue? You punch a guy a few times in the face you better be ready to go. Maybe he should think about getting a bigger visor to cover up his nose if he is going to continue to tempt fate.
A glove palm to the face should result in a unsportsmanlike behaviour penalty. Would clean up a lot of crap.
Just start giving out roughing minors to anyone who wants to shove, clutch, facewash, cross-check or otherwise be a meathead dick once the whistle has gone. If it's against the rules before the whistle, it should be against the rules after the whistle. Aggression in the NFL after the whistle is almost always penalized, and thus there's barely any of it. I can understand that sometimes a guy takes his sweet time getting out of the goalie's crease after a whistle and he needs to be "shown the way", but nowadays players come together and start shoving like ghetto bitches on a playground after EVERY whistle in the offensive zone...it's just stupid and should be removed from the game.
finally got to watch itYeah, ummm, what is the big deal here? Seriously? Why is this even an issue? You punch a guy a few times in the face you better be ready to go. Maybe he should think about getting a bigger visor to cover up his nose if he is going to continue to tempt fate.
Totally agree, Kulemin deserved what he got. My first time watching it as well.
Ha, I like the little conversation he was having with the other guy afterwards. Like he was saying, "Dude, he hit me; what do you want me to do?"I wouldn't like hockey less if they got rid of fighting completely.
Yeah, that was Phaneuf...his reaction to the convo was pretty priceless. "Oh, he popped you first? What, twice? Okay, we're cool."