Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 5 playersThe Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History ConverterCO: $50.00BTN: $29.25Hero (SB): $60.25BB: $50.00UTG: $63.05Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is SB with Q :club: Q :ts3 folds, Hero raises to $2, BB raises to $6, Hero raises to $13, BB calls $7Flop: ($26.00) 5 :5c A :D 4 :D(2 players)Hero checks, BB checksTurn: ($26.00) 8 :4h(2 players)Hero checks, BB checksRiver: ($26.00) 6 :D(2 players)Hero bets $14This is the first hand I've played vs villain. Comments on all streets welcomed.

i make my 4bet about 18-22, I dont think villain checks behind here with an Ace so im inclined to bet the turn maybe 15ish, but almost any bet commits us to a raise, or forces us to play out of position when he calls so i dont hate a check...after he checks turn i surely fire at river i think 14 is a good betall in all i 4bet more and then probably play it the same way

You could even shove pf. I think you're called by a lot worse, lower pocket pairs and even dominated aces like AJ/ATs/AQ
I don't mind a shove preflop if you think you get called by worse. Queens suck cause this is always the flop :)How you played it, and how the hand turned out, I like betting the river.

What is everyone talking about? That 4bet size is extremely standard. 4bets sizing should be slightly over a minraise, that way you can balance it with bluffs cheaper and your still getting like 25% of 100bb stacks in preflop. It leaves some room to maneuver postflop.I think it's close between betting and checking river. There's only two hands that you MIGHT get looked up by (that you beat) and thats JJ/1010. I think you'll be valuetowning yourself a lot too.

The 4bet preflop should be bigger, but not much more. $15-$16 is fine here.If we 4bet to $18+ we are always beat on this flop.

The 4bet preflop should be bigger, but not much more. $15-$16 is fine here.
Honestly, I think 16 is too big. Somewhere between 13-15 is solid.

I think $14-15 is a standard 4-bet here?I think betting the river is really bad, what are you trying to get called by?

I think $14-15 is a standard 4-bet here?I think betting the river is really bad, what are you trying to get called by?
JJ/TTTo be honest, I don't think villain calls a lot here, but I'm not worried about villain having a better hand at this point either. Nor am I worried about villain bluff shoving with anything.
Honestly, I think 16 is too big. Somewhere between 13-15 is solid.
I will be oop throughout the hand. I think 13-15 is better if I was raising from the button.
JJ/TTTo be honest, I don't think villain calls a lot here, but I'm not worried about villain having a better hand at this point either. Nor am I worried about villain bluff shoving with anything.
That's definitely a mistake imo. Once you 4-bet so small PF, he's going to be calling with a lot of marginal suited/non suited aces that he is too scared to bet on the turn or river I think.

i figure that because you are going to be out of position, you would want to raise more so that the BB doesnt have great odds to call with a wide range of hands and then outplay you when the over hits...i think he 3bets smaller pairs here enough times for a larger 4bet to be profitable...What is your 3betting range here if you are the BB?

I think there are more combination hands that he's going to have that beat you and will call you on the river than those that you beat and he will call you. The river is a check imo.

If we raised pot it'd be $18.75, given the fact we're OOP I think it's perfectly reasonable to make it $20. It should definitely be at least $18 though. We get more value because he'll still call with worse, we have way more fold equity pre and when we do see a flop his positional advantage is reduced considerably because the size of the pot is closer in relation to the stack sizes.

If we raised pot it'd be $18.75, given the fact we're OOP I think it's perfectly reasonable to make it $20. It should definitely be at least $18 though. We get more value because he'll still call with worse, we have way more fold equity pre and when we do see a flop his positional advantage is reduced considerably because the size of the pot is closer in relation to the stack sizes.
agreed

First I will just LOL at the post saying that the bet size is fine or standard. seriously, literally LOL

If we 4bet to $18+ we are always beat on this flop.
wtf does that even mean?
i figure that because you are going to be out of position, you would want to raise more so that the BB doesnt have great odds to call with a wide range of hands and then outplay you when the over hits...i think he 3bets smaller pairs here enough times for a larger 4bet to be profitable...What is your 3betting range here if you are the BB?
If you're thinking that villain has odds to setmine with a smaller pocket pair after the 4bet, he doesn't. And the only overcard combination I'm really worried about is AK, and villain will probably shove preflop most of the time.
First I will just LOL at the post saying that the bet size is fine or standard. seriously, literally LOLwtf does that even mean?
4bet should have been bigger than $13. It should be smaller than $18 though.The bigger the 4bet, the narrower villain's range becomes.
That's definitely a mistake imo. Once you 4-bet so small PF, he's going to be calling with a lot of marginal suited/non suited aces that he is too scared to bet on the turn or river I think.
I disagree, I think if villain had an A, he'd bet the turn after I checked it twice, especially with the fd out there.

I don't know man, I see AQ/AJ checking back a lot on both streets, fearing you have AK. Now you may say, why did he call with AQ pf if he's just going to be scared of AK and check it down? I'm not saying that villain's logic is consistent, just laying out a possible scenario. He couldn't fold his AJ to your 4-bet, and then when the ace hit he just wanted to see a showdown as cheaply as possible.River play is really close. In the heat of the moment I probably c/f but, upon further consideration, I actually like your bet. Obviously he calls with any ace and probably KK, but he'll call with more losers than we're giving him credit for. If we accept that he's bad enough to call on the river with JJ, then we should accept that he's bad enough to call with 77 or 99. Why? Because JJ beats nothing on the river - what 4-bets pf are higher pocket pairs and big aces. And any bet on the river is by a better hand. So if he's calling it's because he has a pocket pair and you haven't shown any aggression thus far. Maybe you have king queen! I expect to get looked up more often than you'd assume from pocket pairs.

I don't know man, I see AQ/AJ checking back a lot on both streets, fearing you have AK. Now you may say, why did he call with AQ pf if he's just going to be scared of AK and check it down? I'm not saying that villain's logic is consistent, just laying out a possible scenario. He couldn't fold his AJ to your 4-bet, and then when the ace hit he just wanted to see a showdown as cheaply as possible.River play is really close. In the heat of the moment I probably c/f but, upon further consideration, I actually like your bet. Obviously he calls with any ace and probably KK, but he'll call with more losers than we're giving him credit for. If we accept that he's bad enough to call on the river with JJ, then we should accept that he's bad enough to call with 77 or 99. Why? Because JJ beats nothing on the river - what 4-bets pf are higher pocket pairs and big aces. And any bet on the river is by a better hand. So if he's calling it's because he has a pocket pair and you haven't shown any aggression thus far. Maybe you have king queen! I expect to get looked up more often than you'd assume from pocket pairs.
77 makes a straight. ;)Do you think it's less likely villain will call a river bet if the flop was rainbow?