Palin Plays The Bill Ayers Card

I find it a bit odd that a few days after the bipartisan committee report found that Sarah Palin was in violation of state ethics laws by abusing her power as governor, she decides to step up her position as our ethical mentor, with her truth-bending criticism of Obama's abortion position. I think when it comes to difficult ethical issues, maybe we could find someone with a better record to school us.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it a bit odd that a few days after the bipartisan committee report found that Sarah Palin was in violation of state ethics laws by abusing her power as governor, she decides to step up her position as our ethical mentor, with her truth-bending criticism of Obama's abortion position. I think when it comes to difficult ethical issues, maybe we could find someone with a better record to school us.
bi partisan? "Gov. Palin's spokesman issued a statement saying the investigation "vindicated the governor by finding that she acted within her constitutional authority to remove 'at-will' employees," referring to her commissioner. He added that the findings of ethics-law violations "required speculation and assumptions" that "could not be supported solely on the basis of the evidence."The McCain campaign issued a statement that said the report "illustrates what we've known all along: this was a partisan led inquiry run by Obama supporters." The statement added: "Lacking evidence to support the original Monegan allegation, the Legislative Council seriously overreached, making a tortured argument to find fault without basis in law or fact."
bi partisan? "Gov. Palin's spokesman issued a statement saying the investigation "vindicated the governor by finding that she acted within her constitutional authority to remove 'at-will' employees," referring to her commissioner. He added that the findings of ethics-law violations "required speculation and assumptions" that "could not be supported solely on the basis of the evidence."The McCain campaign issued a statement that said the report "illustrates what we've known all along: this was a partisan led inquiry run by Obama supporters." The statement added: "Lacking evidence to support the original Monegan allegation, the Legislative Council seriously overreached, making a tortured argument to find fault without basis in law or fact."
The legislative committee which issued the report is a bipartisan committee, according to the wall street journal and others.
The legislative committee which issued the report is a bipartisan committee, according to the wall street journal and others.
You do realize that because a committee happens to be made up of two parties, that doesnt make the result "bipartisan" dont you? The Keating 5 was "bipartisan" too, but the results were totally partisan.
You do realize that because a committee happens to be made up of two parties, that doesnt make the result "bipartisan" dont you? The Keating 5 was "bipartisan" too, but the results were totally partisan.
lol. You do realize that when a committee is made of up two parties, it is called "bipartisan" don't you?Not to mention this is irrelevant. It's pretty clear she abused her power.
lol. You do realize that when a committee is made of up two parties, it is called "bipartisan" don't you?Not to mention this is irrelevant. It's pretty clear she abused her power.
You made my point. Because its CALLED bipartisan doesnt mean that it IS bipartisan. Your prior post implied the RESULT was bipartsan.Obviously many disagree with you that it was an abuse of power.
The committee was comprised of eight republicans and four democrats so if anything, the committee favored Palin. If you read the whole ADN article, it's obvious that Palin wanted Monegan to fire their ex-brother in law. When he didn't, that's when the pressure started leading to his firing.From the ADN:Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin abused her power in pushing for the firing of a state trooper once married to her sister and by allowing her husband to use the governor's office in a crusade against the officer, a legislative investigation found. Palin's firing of her public safety commissioner, Walt Monegan, in July was a lawful exercise of her powers. However, Monegan's refusal to fire Wooten was one of several reasons he lost his job, the investigator said.TroopergateAnd I love the part where Palin's lawyer gets with legalese below just because no money was involved - of course no money was involved, they just wanted to fire the ex-brother in law!Van Flein said Branchflower's finding that Palin violated the ethics act is flawed because she received no monetary benefit from whatever actions she and her husband are accused of. He cited several prior ethics investigations."The common thread of all of these Ethics Act cases is money and the use of a government position to personally gain," Van Flein's statement said.Branchflower wrote that Alaska's ethics act forbids state officials from using their office for personal benefit, which he found to mean anything in their own self interest.
The committee was comprised of eight republicans and four democrats so if anything, the committee favored Palin. If you read the whole ADN article, it's obvious that Palin wanted Monegan to fire their ex-brother in law. When he didn't, that's when the pressure started leading to his firing.From the ADN:Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin abused her power in pushing for the firing of a state trooper once married to her sister and by allowing her husband to use the governor's office in a crusade against the officer, a legislative investigation found. Palin's firing of her public safety commissioner, Walt Monegan, in July was a lawful exercise of her powers. However, Monegan's refusal to fire Wooten was one of several reasons he lost his job, the investigator said.Troopergate
Yes, it was "obvious" that pressure was applied, even though even Monegan testified that she never said anything of the sort and the finding was that there were other reasons to fire him and that he was an at will employee. ROFL.
You made my point. Because its CALLED bipartisan doesnt mean that it IS bipartisan. Your prior post implied the RESULT was bipartsan.Obviously many disagree with you that it was an abuse of power.
You're right, after reconsidering I have decided that Sarah Palin is indeed one of our great resources on ethics. Not only do we have her shining record of ethical conduct but her deeply insightful and articulate mind to educate us. In fact, if she is not elected VP I think Obama should appoint her to a new cabinet position: Conscience Of The Nation, where she can consider and hand down decisions on the greatest ethical problems of the day. Why let such a rare authority on ethics go to waste?!
Yes, it was "obvious" that pressure was applied, even though even Monegan testified that she never said anything of the sort and the finding was that there were other reasons to fire him and that he was an at will employee. ROFL.
Well you're right that it wasn't directly her - she let her husband do the dirty work."Governor Palin knowingly permitted a situation to continue where impermissible pressure was placed on several subordinates in order to advance a personal agenda, to wit: to get Trooper Michael Wooten fired," concluded investigator Steve Branchflower in his report made public Friday.The governor let her husband, Todd, use the governor's office and its resources, "including access to state employees, to continue to contact subordinate state employees in an effort to find some way to get Trooper Wooten fired," Branchflower wrote."She had the authority and power to require Mr. Palin to cease contacting subordinates, but she failed to act," he wrote. This created conflicts of interests for the state employees Todd Palin was contacting. "They must choose to either please a superior or run the risk of facing that superior's displeasure and the possible consequences of such displeasure. This was one of the very reasons the Ethics Act was promulgated by the Legislature," Branchflower wrote.

Finding Number TwoI find that, although Walt Monegan’s refusal to fire Trooper Michael Wooten was not the sole reason he was fired by Governor Sarah Palin, it was likely a contributing factor to his termination as Commissioner of Public Safety. In spite of that, Governor Palin’s firing of Commissioner Monegan was a proper and lawful exercise of her constitutional and statutory authority to hire and fire executive branch department heads.

Oh Nevermind, Obama has taught me that these types of issues are "distractions, political ditry tricks and are racist" lets get back to talking about the economy and taxes

Finding Number TwoI find that, although Walt Monegan’s refusal to fire Trooper Michael Wooten was not the sole reason he was fired by Governor Sarah Palin, it was likely a contributing factor to his termination as Commissioner of Public Safety. In spite of that, Governor Palin’s firing of Commissioner Monegan was a proper and lawful exercise of her constitutional and statutory authority to hire and fire executive branch department heads.
Yes, I included that in my post. So legally she had the right to fire Monegan but from an ethics standpoint, she abused her position as Governor.Elected officials shouldn't use their powers to run personal vendettas
Oh Nevermind, Obama has taught me that these types of issues are "distractions, political ditry tricks and are racist" lets get back to talking about the economy and taxes
Right, one of the candidates being found guilty of an ethics violation is totally irrelevant.
Woo-hoo! It was proper and lawful. Of course, that is mostly because the standard for being allowed to fire an at-will employee is so low. She could have fired him for any old reason really. But, it is clear she fired him for personal reasons which while lawful was not a good thing. That is not how we want elected officials acting is it? Letting their husbands pursue personal agendas? Hiring and firing based on issues mostly unrelated to performance?She seems like she has Giuliani disease (prizes loyalty over competence) and that any one who does not bend to her will gets canned. Remember the librarian she thought about sacking after she would not let her burn books. She is pretty good at cronyism for a "Washington Outsider".
Right, one of the candidates being found guilty of an ethics violation is totally irrelevant.
as long as ayers,rezko,wright are irrelevant to you guys, this is irrelevant to us

most notably, the report does not recommend any action against Governor Palin.Wake me up when it doesThe report engages in rank speculation when it says that Monaghan’s refusal to fire Wooten ”likely” was “a contributing factor” in his transfer. At the same time, he admits that other factors existed. Not exactly the strongest case of ethics violation. And an “abuse of power” when the report concedes that Palin was fully within her constitutional and statutory authority to fire MonaghanDoes anyone remember a similar fuss being made in the media and similar investigations being done when Hillary was running for President about all those FBI files about political opponents that ended up in her office when the Clintons were President (”Filegate”)?

as long as ayers,rezko,wright are irrelevant to you guys, this is irrelevant to us
thats fine but then dont complain about us not caring about them either.
Well you're right that it wasn't directly her - she let her husband do the dirty work."Governor Palin knowingly permitted a situation to continue where impermissible pressure was placed on several subordinates in order to advance a personal agenda, to wit: to get Trooper Michael Wooten fired," concluded investigator Steve Branchflower in his report made public Friday.The governor let her husband, Todd, use the governor's office and its resources, "including access to state employees, to continue to contact subordinate state employees in an effort to find some way to get Trooper Wooten fired," Branchflower wrote."She had the authority and power to require Mr. Palin to cease contacting subordinates, but she failed to act," he wrote. This created conflicts of interests for the state employees Todd Palin was contacting. "They must choose to either please a superior or run the risk of facing that superior's displeasure and the possible consequences of such displeasure. This was one of the very reasons the Ethics Act was promulgated by the Legislature," Branchflower wrote.
Personally I have no problem if she even did pressure the guy. She wanted someone fired who literally threatened her family. What's power if you can't use it to dump dickheads on the street?
I don't recall Jesus avoiding any sinners except the Pharisees. And even them, he talked to on occasion. Do you think that the only people He died to redeem were ones you picked? And I'm sure you've repented of all your sins too hmm? How many years did you go unrepentant? And if you never talk to him, is there any chance for him to repent? If you never associate with sinners how do they hear about Jesus? If you read the same Bible I have, you'd see that Jesus did associate with sinners. And He didn't require them to repent before he went among them and associated with them. Because unlike you, He recognized that in order to be saved, people need to hear first. But if you want to believe that Jesus wouldn't associate with anyone like Bill Ayers then I assume you'd not be doing any prison ministry either since it would cause you to have to associate with some unrepentant sinners. Anyway, enough of this here. Any more I'll take to the religious forum if you want to continue the discussion. Why do you find it so unlikely that I could consider voting for John McCain? I'm not all that hot on Obama as I've said before and have been seriously considering voting for a third party candidate. But if John McCain showed some balls and voted against the bailout against his party and President's wishes then yeah, I'd consider voting for him. Just like I'll continue to vote for John Tester in our state and will be voting for the Republican who's running against Max Baucus because Max chose to not only vote for the bailout but helped write it with all the friggin' pork in it. But why should I believe that McCain will veto any bill with pork in it while he's president if he couldn't even vote no on it while in his present job?
I already knew this but you really do know very little about anything. You should know plenty... we hold your hand here every day. A travesty, really. A conversation between Ayers and Jesus: "So, I don't agree with the bombings..." "Whatever. I had my reasons, I would do it again, hell, I should have done more." "Fair enough. Were done here. Peace be with you,enjoy hell." If you had the slightest inkling of the moral fiber Jesus brings to the table you wouldn't need to be told this.
Palin's representation of Obama's position is much, much closer to the truth than the one the main stream media represents.
Yes, I included that in my post. So legally she had the right to fire Monegan but from an ethics standpoint, she abused her position as Governor.Elected officials shouldn't use their powers to run personal vendettas
Or to try and get the wives raises or their friends rich.
most notably, the report does not recommend any action against Governor Palin.Wake me up when it doesThe report engages in rank speculation when it says that Monaghan’s refusal to fire Wooten ”likely” was “a contributing factor” in his transfer. At the same time, he admits that other factors existed. Not exactly the strongest case of ethics violation. And an “abuse of power” when the report concedes that Palin was fully within her constitutional and statutory authority to fire MonaghanDoes anyone remember a similar fuss being made in the media and similar investigations being done when Hillary was running for President about all those FBI files about political opponents that ended up in her office when the Clintons were President (”Filegate”)?
Excellent post, while reading your first paragraph, Filegate and Hillary's fingerprints came to my mind. Then I read your second paragraph. Great Minds think alike :club: