2008-09 Cheap Thieves

I have a feeling Goligoski might have to go back to the AHL soon. With Whitney back, and Gill coming back soon, he may be a cap casualty, since he doesn't have to go through waivers. I'd keep an eye on his icetime with Whitney back in the lineup, since he's the offensive defensemen who will eat up almost all of Gogo's ice time.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling Goligoski might have to go back to the AHL soon. With Whitney back, and Gill coming back soon, he may be a cap casualty, since he doesn't have to go through waivers. I'd keep an eye on his icetime with Whitney back in the lineup, since he's the offensive defensemen who will eat up almost all of Gogo's ice time.
I highly doubt they'll send HIM back down since he has been so good in so many situations. Besides Whitney will take time before he gets his legs back anyway. Besides that, I actually need Goligoski to do a little worse on pool nights so I can sign him to a lower long term contract. Got him in the 4th round for 0.50 and would love to get him in the last group and sign him 5 years at 0.75. That would be a steal.

If my team was a REAL NHL team this is what my roster would look like. A Stanley Cup favorite for sure:1st Scoring Line LW Simon Gagne C Olli Jokinen RW Corey Perry2nd Scoring Line LW Alexander Semin C Anze Kopitar RW Jason Pominville3rd Scoring Line LW Andrei Kostitsyn C Henrik Sedin RW Ryan MaloneChecjing Line LW P.J. Axelsson C Stephane Yelle RW Steve Ott1st Defense Scott Neidermayer Alex Goligoski 2nd Defense Marc-Edouard Vlasic Tom Poti3rd Defense Brent Seabrook John-Michael LilesGoalRoberto LuongoHenrik Lundqvist What NHL team is better than that?

AHL Playoff picture looks almost secured just 44 games into the season. All four divisions have a large separation between 3rd and 4th:EASTGhosts of Elvis 51Mustangs 40WESTRed Ravens 49Legend Killers 36NORTHIngmen 52Greaseballs 39SOUTHRavag 44PKDealers 36The races for the division title are still competitive as is the race for the league's best record:EASTCheap Thieves 58Rug Rats 53WESTShoot Loose 58Purple Hearts 56NORTHThe Big M's 61Dawgs 54SOUTHScreamin' Eagles 61Swackers 47The race for best record in the league:The Big M's 61Screamin' Eagles 61Cheap Thieves 58Shoot Loose 58

No ticker tonight, but very late it looks like I'll win, Rats will win and Ghosts will lose. That would give me a 4 game win streak and the Ghosts a 5 game losing streak.Cheap Thieves 62Rug Rats 55Ghosts of Elvis 51 That's a niiiiiiice lead there.

I really just hate the sound of that- a bit scary, but hopefully it's not going to stick. Please no!!!
Only lasted a couple shifts.They had Gill returning, and apparently Eaton and Boucher didn't suck enough to be scratched, so they put Gogo with some scrubs on the 4th line. He played maybe 2 or 3 shifts with them, then I saw him playing on defense with regularity. The original plan was to put him on the 4th line, and get him some point PP time, I guess.

Player News:Simon Gagne sustained an upper body injury in the first period of Tuesday's 3-2 win over Vancouver.Gagne was smashed into the boards by Vancouver's Kevin Bieksa. Mike Richards challenged Bieksa to a fight over the hit, but Bieksa wasn't punished for the hit itself. This could be a big blow for Gagne, who until now was looking great after missing most of last season with a concussion. Stay tuned.Source: TSN.ca P.J. Axelsson was promoted to the first line Tuesday.Axelsson replaces Milan Lucic, who has been struggling the past few games. Axelsson will play alongside Marc Savard and Phil Kessel while Lucic will play with Stephane Yelle and Chuck Kobasew.Source: Boston Globe Thieves Injured List:F Alexander Semin, WAS.F Simon Gagne, PHI.F Jason Chimera, CLB.D Tom Poti, WAS.D Andy Sutton, NYI.D Sergei Zubov, DAL.D Cory Murphy, FLA.Thieves Farm currently playing in the NHL:Bobby Ryan, ANA.Benoit Pouliot, MIN.T.J. Oshie, STL.

Player News:Simon Gagne will be lost for the next seven-to-10 days with a strained shoulder.Gagne was blindsided by Vancouver's Kevin Bieksa that captain Mike Richards took exception to. Richards went immediately and fought Bieksa. Reserve Gagne immediately.Source: Philadelphia Inquirer Rookie Kyle Okposo is heating up with two goals and six points over the last four games.Okposo is finally playing like many thought he would before the season began. He's worth picking up in most leagues at the moment. Just don't be surprised if he runs hot and cold for the rest of the season.Source: New York Newsday Ivan Vishnevskiy has been recalled by the Dallas Stars.Vishnevskiy was a healthy scratch on Wednesday but the 20-year-old blueliner will stay with the Stars on a three game road trip. He was drafted in the first round in the 2006 Entry Draft, 27th overall, by the Stars. Vishnevskiy has been compared to countryman Sergei Gonchar and that is not exactly the worst comparison in the world for a fantasy defenseman. He has three goals and 12 points in 20 games in the AHL this season. Keep him in mind in the future.Source: Fort-Worth Star Telegram Jason Chimera could return to the Columbus lineup as early as Friday.Chimera has missed the last six games with an injured groin. He was expected to miss a lot more action but the Blue Jackets medical staff think that the pop he heard two weeks ago was scar tissue tearing off and not a more serious injury. Get ready to activate Chimera once he practices with the Blue Jackets and actually gets back into a game.Source: Columbus Dispatch

Not a true ticker but a late update tonight:1. Olli Jokinen, PHO. OT. 12. Corey Perry, ANA.3. Andrei Kostitsyn, MON. 2.05. Anze Kopitar, LA.6. Ryan Malone, TB.7. Scott Neidermayer, ANA.8. John-Michael Liles, COL.9. Brent Seabrook, CHI.10. Roman Hamrlik, MON. 0.5NONE -2.52. Guillaume Latendresse - MTL 13. Matthew Lombardi - CGY OT4. Jussi Jokinen - TAM6. Troy Brouwer - CHI7. Steve Eminger - TAM8. Znynek Michalek - PHX 0.5G. Anaheim DucksRATS2. Phil Kessel (BOS) 0.53. Robert Lang (MON) 0.56. Mike Comrie (NYI)10. Paul Ranger (TB)New Jersey -2GHOSTSSidney Crosby - Pit - OT 1Shane Doan - Phx 0.5Dustin Brown - LAMike Richards - Phi 0.5Mark Recchi - TamDion Phaneuf - CgyDan Hamhuis - Nsh 0.5Brad Stuart - Det 0.5Los Angeles KingsThieves 1Gothic 1.5Rats -1Ghosts 3

Pay attention people. The ROY race is FAR from over and if Selanne stays down for a while Bobby Ryan is going to storm to the title. Kids PPG is better than any rookie. At current point in season GP 24 G 15 A 14 P 25. He missed lots of time to begin the season but is still within reach of Versteeg for the most points by a rookie. Laugh all you want, but if the kid wins the rookie scoring race despite having to spend the beginning of the season in the minors thats pretty sick. Ryan, Perry, and Neidermayer will be a solid core to have on short game nights in the AHL playoffs...

Pay attention people. The ROY race is FAR from over and if Selanne stays down for a while Bobby Ryan is going to storm to the title. Kids PPG is better than any rookie. At current point in season GP 24 G 15 A 14 P 25. He missed lots of time to begin the season but is still within reach of Versteeg for the most points by a rookie. Laugh all you want, but if the kid wins the rookie scoring race despite having to spend the beginning of the season in the minors thats pretty sick. Ryan, Perry, and Neidermayer will be a solid core to have on short game nights in the AHL playoffs...
Steve Mason is the one who will be storming to the title.

You know you have a good team when you can sit Corey Perry when he is healthy on a game night. Saturday's games:Los Angeles at Dallas 2:00 PMCarolina at Buffalo 7:00 PMNew Jersey at NY Islanders 7:00 PMMontreal at Ottawa 7:00 PMBoston at Washington 7:00 PMFlorida at Tampa Bay 7:30 PMAtlanta at Nashville 8:00 PMChicago at St. Louis 8:30 PMAnaheim at Minnesota 9:00 PMPhoenix at Calgary 10:00 PMDetroit at San Jose 10:30 PMMy forwards for the night:Olli JokinenAlexander Semin GAndrei Kostitsyn GRyan Malone GAnze Kopitar AJason Pominville ACorey Perry G With Perry playing at Minnesota after back to back nights I'm sitting him for more favorable match ups. A win against the Rats tonight looks good for an 8 point lead in the division.

TRADE: Cheap Thieves trade San Jose goalies to Ravag for Chicago goalies!!! This trade is specifically designed for the playoffs. Before this trade I would have been without goalies three times in the playoffs. With this trade I will have goalies for EVERY playoff game and that could be the difference.

In other NHL trade news, Cheap Thief Cory Murphy will finally get a chance to play again in the NHL after being picked up on waivers by Tampa Bay. You couldn't have possibly picked a better spot for him, loads of playing time for him on the PP there. In Florida there was a logjam on defense, but in Tampa Bay he will all of a sudden become a viable option once again. The Thieves defense is climbing the rankings rapidly and this will help offset Goligoski's changing role in Pittsburgh with Whitney returning from injury. Things are shaping up... Late season call ups will include two beauties, Bobby Ryan and T.J. Oshie. The Thieves are set up very well for the playoffs now...

Cheap Thieves at the All-Star Break:Forwards:Player Team GP G A P PP PPPGAlexander Semin WAS 30 18 23 41 29.5 0.983Simon Gagne PHI 43 19 26 45 32 0.744Corey Perry ANA 45 14 28 42 28 0.622Olli Jokinen PHO 42 17 16 33 25 0.595Henrik Sedin VAN 48 8 36 44 26 0.542Anze Kopitar LA 46 12 25 37 24.5 0.533Andrei Kostitsyn MON 42 16 12 28 22 0.524Jason Pominville BUF 47 12 25 37 24.5 0.521Ryan Malone TB 38 13 12 25 19 0.500Jason Chimera CLB 31 7 11 18 12.5 0.403Eric Belanger MIN 43 9 12 21 15 0.349Kyle Okposo NYI 34 7 8 15 11 0.324Steve Ott DAL 29 5 8 13 9 0.310P.J. Axelsson BOS 44 4 16 20 12 0.273Jim Slater ATL 46 5 9 14 9.5 0.207Stephane Yelle BOS 47 6 7 13 9.5 0.202Defense:Player Team GP G A P PP PPPGD Scott Neidermayer ANA 49 5 24 29 17 0.347D Tom Poti WAS 23 3 7 10 7.5 0.326D John-Michael Liles COL 45 5 18 23 14 0.311D Marc-Edouard Vlasic SJ 45 3 21 24 13.5 0.300D Alex Goligoski PIT 42 6 13 19 12.5 0.298D Cory Murphy TB 9 1 3 4 2.5 0.278D Andy Sutton NYI 23 2 8 10 6 0.261D Kris Russell CLB 31 2 10 12 7 0.226D Brent Seabrook CHI 45 5 9 14 9.5 0.211D Sergei Zubov DAL 10 0 4 4 2 0.200D Roman Hamrlik MON 45 2 13 15 8.5 0.189D Toni Lydman BUF 46 1 12 13 7 0.152Goalies:Team GAAChicago Blackhawks 2.42New York Rangers 2.56Vancouver Canucks 2.73Farm Players in the NHL:Player Team GP G A P PP PPPGBobby Ryan ANA 31 15 15 30 22.5 0.726TJ Oshie STL 22 5 7 12 8.5 0.386Benoit Pouliot MIN 37 5 6 11 8 0.216Jack Skille CHI 6 1 0 1 1 0.167Nicklas Bergfors NJ 7 1 0 1 1 0.143

Marc-Andre Gragnani-D- Sabres Jan. 27 - 10:17 am et The Buffalo Sabres have recalled Marc-Andre Gragnani from the minors.The defender was recalled to help out Buffalo's ailing blueline. Teppo Numminen, Henrik Tallinder and Andrej Sekera are all out with injuries. Gragnani does have some offensive upside as he is fourth among defensemen scoring with 30 points. This is his opportunity to impress Buffalo brass - we'll see what he does with it.Source: Buffalo News

Bobby Ryan is a freakin' machine. Guy is scoring almost a goal a game these days. He is already a big favorite to win the rookie scoring race and considering the fact that he had to start the season in the minors that's a feat on it's own. You have to be nuts if you really don't think that by seasons end he has a legit shot at rookie of the year honors. The return of Selanne could hurt his ice time, but they'd be foolish not to let this kid play. It took him a bit longer to develop, but the #2 overall pick is starting to really look like a monster NHL player. Great news for me? He's still on my farm team, but will be available for my playoff run and playoffs. The combo of Perry, Ryan and Neidermayer in Anaheim is so deadly on short game nights in the playoffs. My team is looking really good at a cup run this year.

Bobby Ryan is a freakin' machine. Guy is scoring almost a goal a game these days. He is already a big favorite to win the rookie scoring race and considering the fact that he had to start the season in the minors that's a feat on it's own. You have to be nuts if you really don't think that by seasons end he has a legit shot at rookie of the year honors. The return of Selanne could hurt his ice time, but they'd be foolish not to let this kid play. It took him a bit longer to develop, but the #2 overall pick is starting to really look like a monster NHL player. Great news for me? He's still on my farm team, but will be available for my playoff run and playoffs. The combo of Perry, Ryan and Neidermayer in Anaheim is so deadly on short game nights in the playoffs. My team is looking really good at a cup run this year.
And with that Mason pitches another shutout, haha.