2008-09 Cheap Thieves

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RUMOR ALERT: With the team looking towards the playoffs, rumors have been circulating that the team is looking to move Nabakov and the Shark goalies. The move is designed to improve playoff lineups. Currently the team would be without goalies in each of their playoff series for one game in each series. Game 4 of series 1, Game 7 of the semi-finals, and Game 2 of the finals. The switch to Chicago would address all three holes, so while the Chicago goaltending is a step down for the team, the switch will be helpful come playoff time. Obviously the team wouldn't be willing to move Nabakov straight up, so in return the team is looking for a rent-a-player free agent defenseman to add depth. The man that fits that category: Matthias Ohlund.

RUMOR ALERT: With the team looking towards the playoffs, rumors have been circulating that the team is looking to move Nabakov and the Shark goalies. The move is designed to improve playoff lineups. Currently the team would be without goalies in each of their playoff series for one game in each series. Game 4 of series 1, Game 7 of the semi-finals, and Game 2 of the finals. The switch to Chicago would address all three holes, so while the Chicago goaltending is a step down for the team, the switch will be helpful come playoff time. Obviously the team wouldn't be willing to move Nabakov straight up, so in return the team is looking for a rent-a-player free agent defenseman to add depth. The man that fits that category: Matthias Ohlund.
trade offer sent.

Cheap Thieves Updated Roster:FORWARDS1.Alexander Semin, WAS.2. Simon Gagne, PHI.3. Corey Perry, ANA.4. Olli Jokinen, PHO.5. Jason Pominville, BUF.6. Henrik Sedin, VAN.7. Anze Kopitar, LA.8. Jason Chimera, CLB.9. Eric Belanger, MIN.10.Ryan Malone, TB.11.Andrei Kostitsyn, MON.12.Stephane Yelle, BOS.13.Kyle Okposo, NYI.14.P.J. Axelsson BOS.15.Jim Slater, ATL.16.Chris Conner, DAL. I've given up some forward depth for sure and added some fillers. For the playoff push we'll add the following players hopefully: Bobby Ryan, T.J. Oshie, and Benoit Pouliot, MIN. to replace Conner, Slater, and Axelsson.DEFENSE:1. Alex Goligoski, PIT.2. Marc-Edouard Vlasic, SJ.3. Scott Neidermayer, ANA.4. Tom Poti, WAS.5. John-Michael Liles, COL.6. Brent Seabrook, CHI.7. Sergei Zubov, DAL.8. Roman Hamrlik, MON.9. Andy Sutton, NYI.10.Toni Lydman, BUF.11.Kris Russell, CLB.12.Cory Murphy, FLA. My top 8 defenseman are now rock solid. That top 8 can compete with any in the league outside of the Big M's.GOAL:1. New York Rangers2. Vancouver Canucks3. San Jose Sharks Look to see a trade here for Chicago in the works. With the new additions, the team's cap hit is now 89.00, just 1.00 under the max. There will be plenty of room if we dump Lydman's 4.50 salary for the stretch drive as he's completely unnecessary on this team now.

BLOCKBUSTERCheap Thieves Trade:Nik Antropov, TOR.Raffi Torres, CLB.1st rd pick 2009forMustangs Trade:Sergei Zubov, DAL.Scott Neidermayer, ANA.
Considering how important defense scoring is in this fantasy league, I would have to say that serge bent over, lubed up, and grabbed his ankles on this trade..... Yikes.... I was considering taking the bet on the first team to clinch, but I now respectfully would have to decline....

I think it's a good trade for both teams but it looks much more significant on paper than it really is. MUSTANGSSerge gives up two players that he wouldn't have been able to keep and wouldn't have impacted his team much this season anyway. In return he gets Antropov who should get about 60 points and should also provide Serge with the "my players are injured" excuse he so loves to use. The first round pick has some value but not much in my opinion. It will be near the end of the round and, as Serge may admit, he's not really knowledgable when it gets past the first 10 picks or so. The pick is probably more valuable to Serge as trade-bait. Torres looks insignificant now but there is always the chance he turns things around. I think the Mustangs may have been able to hold out for a little more because the Thieves were really looking for d-men, but overall I think this is a little step in the right direction.CHEAP THIEVESDaniel picks up two players that have name power but their on-ice peformance has been lacking. Admittedly, Zubov was out a long time and may not hit his stride until the new year, which would suit Daniel just fine. Niedermayer has been disappointing and should have stayed retired. Daniel didn't really give up much to take a chance on these two finding their game by AHL playoff time. Antropov is decent but decent doesn't usually crack the Thieves' roster. The 1st round pick means almost nothing to Daniel as his farm is already stocked. Raffi Torres...pffft. Overall, I think the Thieves improved, but only slightly. This team will still rely heavily on the forwards if it's going anywhere in the playoffs.

I think it's a good trade for both teams but it looks much more significant on paper than it really is. MUSTANGSSerge gives up two players that he wouldn't have been able to keep and wouldn't have impacted his team much this season anyway. In return he gets Antropov who should get about 60 points and should also provide Serge with the "my players are injured" excuse he so loves to use. The first round pick has some value but not much in my opinion. It will be near the end of the round and, as Serge may admit, he's not really knowledgable when it gets past the first 10 picks or so. The pick is probably more valuable to Serge as trade-bait. Torres looks insignificant now but there is always the chance he turns things around. I think the Mustangs may have been able to hold out for a little more because the Thieves were really looking for d-men, but overall I think this is a little step in the right direction.CHEAP THIEVESDaniel picks up two players that have name power but their on-ice peformance has been lacking. Admittedly, Zubov was out a long time and may not hit his stride until the new year, which would suit Daniel just fine. Niedermayer has been disappointing and should have stayed retired. Daniel didn't really give up much to take a chance on these two finding their game by AHL playoff time. Antropov is decent but decent doesn't usually crack the Thieves' roster. The 1st round pick means almost nothing to Daniel as his farm is already stocked. Raffi Torres...pffft. Overall, I think the Thieves improved, but only slightly. This team will still rely heavily on the forwards if it's going anywhere in the playoffs.
I felt comfortable giving up the pick, because as you said it should be about 17th overall and I already have Shoot Loose's 1st and 2nd pick which should give me a slightly higher pick in the first round. As for losing Antropov, I've always had injury concerns with him as you mentioned and my forwards are deep enough that I don't "need" him, especially long term with another group of younger guys on my farm entering the NHL. He didn't ask for Torres. I literally threw him in because the salaries I added on had me over the limit so I had to drop Torres anyway, plus, Chimera is cheaper and performing better. So on my end, while I'm not a fan normally of giving away picks and cheap players, the damage was minimal. What I pick up is major depth on defense and I can more than wait for both of these guys to round into shape. Neither player is lighting it up, but both players have the potential to do that and the only reason they were added was for a playoff push. The move was made with only the playoffs in mind. My next move, trying to acquire Chicago goalies falls in like with that same thinking.
Zubov out a week....
Fo sheezy on the beezy yo...Zubi leave the musts and goes to Thieves and gets injured yo..FO shore on the west side..WORD

Got home late so no ticker tonight, but I've got a big game against the Screamin' Eagles tonight and it all comes down to Nabakov really in the San Jose Columbus game. I have a 1.5 lead but would lose in OT:3. Ryan Malone, TB. 0.54. Andrei Kostitsyn, MON. 15. Jason Chimera, CLB.6. Henrik Sedin, VAN. 1.57. Alex Goligoski, PIT. 0.58. Marc-Edouard Vlasic, SJ.9. Roman Hamrlik, MON. 0.5SAN JOSE2. Zach Parise, NJ 1.53. Nicklas Backstrom, WSH 14. Milan Lucic, BOS 0.55. Nikolai Kulemin, TORDefense7.Rob Blake, SJ8. Tomas Kaberle, TORBOSTON -0.5

Evgeny Grachev is looking like a player. A rookie in the OHL he leads all rookies in scoring with GP 27 G 17 A 16 P 33. He was the 75th overall pick in the NHL entry draft due only to the fact that he is Russian. Him playing in the OHL is a great sign, though, and this could be a steal as the kid is a sniper. The Thieves also got him in the 3rd round.

Great day for Cheap Thieves fans! All in one day Olli Jokinen, Alexander Semin and Tom Poti all returned to action and in their first game each player registered a point. Important timing as they'll play a big part of my lineups the next few games, plus with the Ghosts of Elvis surging we needed a boost to maintain our division lead.

Tonight is looking good! Looks like I might fade a Sykora night where he scored three goals and an assist. Also the Ghosts are having a big night also, but he's facing Shoot Loose who is having a BIGGER night:1. Simon Gagne, PHI. OT 12. Corey Perry, ANA.3. Anze Kopitar, LA. 1.54. Olli Jokinen, PHO.15. Andrei Kostitsyn, MON.06. Eric Belanger, MIN.7. Marc-Edouard Vlasic, SJ. 0.58. Scott Neidermayer, ANA.9. Alex Goligoski, PIT.110. Kris Russell, CLB. 0.5SAN JOSEDawgs1. Alex Tanguay - Mtl (OT) 02. Petr Sykora - Pitt 3.53. Doug Weight - NYI 0.54. Ales Hemsky - Edm5. Travis Moen - Ana6. Cory Stillman - FlaDEF7. Chris Pronger - Ana8. Marc Methot - Columb 09. Casey Borer - Car 010. Tom Preissing - LAPhoenix -0.5Thieves 5.5Dawgs 3.5Shoot Loose1.Evgeni Malkin-pit-ot 1.52.Alex Frolov-la 13.Eric Staal-car 2.54.Chris Higgins-mon 05.Jonathon Cheechoo-sj6.Andrew Cogliano-edmDefense7.Kimmo Timonen-phi 08.Joni Pitkanen-car 19.Phillip Boucher-pit 110.Denis Grebeshkov-edmGoalLos Angeles -0.5Sidney Crosby - Pit - Ot 1.5Shane Doan - Phx 0.5Mike Richards - Phi 0.5Joe Thornton - SJDerick Brassard - CBJ 0.5Dustin Brown - LA 2DEFENSEBryan McCabe - Fla 0.5Dan Hamhuis - Nsh 0Noah Welch - FlaSteve Staios - EdmGOALIESLos Angeles Kings -0.5Shoot 6.5Ghosts 5

Good night again so far, Ghosts are out of it and I'm still up 2.5 to 2 with one period too go plus I have the OT win locked up. Problem is that my goalies are playing, aand he has Selanne, but I have Perry and Beidermayer to counter:1. Simon Gagne, PHI. OT 22. Alexander Semin, WAS. 0.53. Olli Jokinen, PHO. 04. Corey Perry, ANA.5. Andrei Kostitsyn, MON.06. Chris Conner, DAL. 0.57. Scott Neidermayer, ANA.8. John-Michael Liles, COL. 09. Brent Seabrook, CHI.10. Tom Poti, WAS.0NEW YORK RANGERS -0.5ravagJeff Carter PHI **OT** 1Teemu Selanne ANATomas Plekanec MTL 0Mikhail Grabovsky TOR 0Matt Cullen CAR 0Marek Svatos COL 0Chris Phillips OTT 0.5Corey SArich CGY 1Chicago -1ghostsMike Richards - Phi - OT 2Shane Doan - Phx 0Nick Foligno - Ott 0Bobby Holik - NJ 0Rob Niedermayer - AnaCam Paddock - StlDion Phaneuf - Cgy 0Shaone Morrisson - Wsh 0Lasse Kukkonen - Phi 0Steve Staios - EdmSt. Louis Blues -3killersMike Ribiero DAL 0.5Mike Fisher OTT 0Justin Williams CAR 0.5Ryan Callahan NYRAndrew Ladd CHI 1Colby Armstrong ATL 2Brian Campbell CHI OT 1Derek Morris PHX 0DALLAS 0.5

Rookie of the Year Update: With Derick Brassard now out for the season, the ROY award is up fro grabs and there are two Cheap Thieves right in the thick of things:Alex Goligoski, PIT.- He ranks 6th among all rookies in points with 6 goals, 12 assists in 32 games this season which obviously leads all rookie defensemen. Ryan Whitney is returning from injury and that should hurt Goligoski's numbers somewhat since it's likely that Whitney will resume his duties as the point man on the first power play. Either way, Goligoski is a well rounded defenseman that will likely be a top ten defenseman in the NHL for many years in terms of scoring.Bobby Ryan, ANA.- It was thought that Ryan would start the season with Anaheim as well as the Cheap Thieves, but he was demoted to the AHL, not because of poor play, but because of cap issues. Upon his return he revitalized the fourth line in Anaheim and with the injury to Selanne he's been given a chance to play on the top power play unit and is making the most if it. Ryan has 5 goals and 9 assists in 16 games this season. He is still on the Thieves farm as the team already has Perry and Neidermayer on the roster, but you can expect to see Ryan play a major role down the stretch and in the playoffs for this team. He will all but certainly be called up when call ups become an option. With Ryan's emergence, the Thieves will have quite the one-two punch with both Perry and Ryan on the roster. Sine Anaheim has a quirky schedule and plays on most short game nights, that's not necessarily a problem. The team has no plans to move either player at this point and any move would be one for a player of equal skill on another team.