A Who's-at-fault Question

I left my lights on so my battery died. My roommate drove me to my car where we were going to jump it. He has an old car and there was shit over the battery so we had to move it around. In doing so, the charge caught the hose coming from the radiator and put a hole in it. I'm taking him to see what we have to do about it and how much it costs. I wouldn't consider my roommate a friend as I've only known him for about two months, and have only hung out outside the house once. Also, he was the one messing with the battery when the damage was done.Am I obligated to pay for anything, a percentage, or all of it, since he was helping me out?

So, what needs replacing here is a radiator hose?A $4 length of radiator hose? Put a new radiator hose on his car and be done with it.(also, if the hole is up close to the radiator nipple, there's probably enough length to just trim the existing hose back and reinstall it.)

The right move is for you to offer to pay since it was your idea, him to offer to pay because it was his fault, and to end up splitting it down the middle. But, since most people suck, you'll just end up paying since you're a good guy.Plus it's $4, so whatever.

So that's probably all that's got to be done? That would be good.I know nothing about cars by the way.
As far as car problems, on a scale of 1-10, a leaking radiator hose is a 1. It's something that even people who know nothing about cars can do.

when in college, i arrived home sober to find my drunk roommate about to drive her friends home. i offered to do it for her. two blocks from the house i got pulled over for having a headlight burnt out (her car), and in the process, discovered my licence had expired the week before (the renewal was sent to my parent's house, which was still the address on my licence) and that she didn't have any insurance on her car.she paid none of the fines.

when in college, i arrived home sober to find my drunk roommate about to drive her friends home. i offered to do it for her. two blocks from the house i got pulled over for having a headlight burnt out (her car), and in the process, discovered my licence had expired the week before (the renewal was sent to my parent's house, which was still the address on my licence) and that she didn't have any insurance on her car.she paid none of the fines.
want me to kill her for you?ive done it beforei mean..ive.umm...thought about...doing it.maybe..one time
Ok, if it's like $4 then it's cool. I'll find out tomorrow.JLL, that's messed up. I've got a friend with almost identical story except it ends up with the car being towed, and the car's owner not paying for anything. People.
yeah, the cop was nice enough that since we could still SEE the house from where we were, he let me take it back home. in retrospect, i wish it had gotten towed.
she should have definitely payed for the headlight and no insurance. the expired license was all you.

If its something that is going to upset him if you dont offer to pay any of it, I would at least offer to pay half. With roomates its a sticky situation once they have something to gripe about.

You pay for it... or next time call a tow truck instead of a room mate.Jeeesshh. I never understand these cheap bastards.The guy...who you don't consider a friend... was doing you a favor. Unreal how selfish some people are."It was his fault... he did it"

As far as car problems, on a scale of 1-10, a leaking radiator hose is a 1. It's something that even people who know nothing about cars can do.
Unless you own a land rover, then its 8 hours of work and you have to replace the entire cooling system.
You pay for it... or next time call a tow truck instead of a room mate.Jeeesshh. I never understand these cheap bastards.The guy...who you don't consider a friend... was doing you a favor. Unreal how selfish some people are."It was his fault... he did it"
I pretty much agree, I would definitely offer to at least split the cost. He was doing you the favour.
I agree with this. It's not like he was even getting anything in return for helping you out? So basically it's a low risk/no return situation where if something like this happens, you are going to expect him to pay for it?
a roll of duct tape is, like, two bucks.
If it's a rad hose, that will only work as a very short term temporary fix- enough to 'get you home' but that's about it.OP- a mechanic is going to charge you like $50-$100 to do this when you really don't need to in 99% of cases. More than likely, you can just trim the hose. If not, replacing a rad hose is retarded simple. Clamp on one end, clamp on the other. Take off one clamp, pull hose off nipple A, take clamp off other end, pull hose off nipple B, put new hose on Nipples A & B and reclamp.
If it's a rad hose, that will only work as a very short term temporary fix- enough to 'get you home' but that's about it.
I once fixed an upper radiator hose with duct tape and my shoelaces. lasted two years.