A Must Read For Daniel Negreanu And Obama Supporters

She is a good writer. The atheist thing threw me for a loop a bit. Maybe this will get me into trouble but I can't get my head around atheism. Agnostic, I totally get and it makes some sense, but atheism seems to shoot itself in the foot by using such absolute terms as "there CANNOT be a God." An agnostic says, "I cannot know if there is a God," and that is more than a fair assessment. Until an atheist can disprove God I would think that a belief system based on something being impossible would have burden of proof to account for. A Christian believes in God, but cannot prove his existence just the same. A Christian admits to having "Faith" in God, but do atheists then have faith in Atheism or do they believe it to be concrete in saying it is impossible for an intelligent creator to exist? Not stirring the pot, just wondering how someone gets to the point of saying, "There cannot be a God." You would think they could say something like, "It is high unlikely that there is a God," but CANNOT?

She is a good writer. The atheist thing threw me for a loop a bit. Maybe this will get me into trouble but I can't get my head around atheism. Agnostic, I totally get and it makes some sense, but atheism seems to shoot itself in the foot by using such absolute terms as "there CANNOT be a God." An agnostic says, "I cannot know if there is a God," and that is more than a fair assessment. Until an atheist can disprove God I would think that a belief system based on something being impossible would have burden of proof to account for. A Christian believes in God, but cannot prove his existence just the same. A Christian admits to having "Faith" in God, but do atheists then have faith in Atheism or do they believe it to be concrete in saying it is impossible for an intelligent creator to exist? Not stirring the pot, just wondering how someone gets to the point of saying, "There cannot be a God." You would think they could say something like, "It is high unlikely that there is a God," but CANNOT?
That's not what atheism says. Atheism says "there ISNT a god". To me, agnosticism is more silly since it involves being skeptical in a way that we are not normally skeptical. For instance, I don't believe there are invisible gremlins living in my tires. I can't entirely rule out the possibility beyond any doubt, but should I really say I am agnostic as to the presence of gremlins? To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any, and so I will go on and act as if there are no gremlins there. If someone asks me about whether there are gremlins there I'm not going to say "I don't know, I can't be entirely sure!" I'm going to say no.

Surely to answer the question: "do you believe in God?" you need to define what you mean by the term God.I am an atheist when it comes to believing in the religious interpretations of God(all of the religions).However,do I believe there is higher power which governs the life force of the universe? Most certainly,can this force be described as God?

That's not what atheism says. Atheism says "there ISNT a god". To me, agnosticism is more silly since it involves being skeptical in a way that we are not normally skeptical. For instance, I don't believe there are invisible gremlins living in my tires. I can't entirely rule out the possibility beyond any doubt, but should I really say I am agnostic as to the presence of gremlins? To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any, and so I will go on and act as if there are no gremlins there. If someone asks me about whether there are gremlins there I'm not going to say "I don't know, I can't be entirely sure!" I'm going to say no.
I have been waiting for someone to come up with a term that denotes someone who believes in a supreme being but thinks all religious are full of manure.Then, I could have a label too.It's a decent article. I think it accurately describes a Democratic candidate once again making bad decision at election time.

Its an okay read, but doesnt say much that cable news networks arent pointing out. I dont know what kind of readership salon has...it would be a much more influential article if it showed up in the New Yorker, I would think

That's not what atheism says. Atheism says "there ISNT a god".
Exactly. An atheist says there isn't a god in the same way that you say there isn't an easter bunny. Not strictly impossible but no evidence for existence.
Religious forum is dowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn the street.(Bob, can you get on this troublemaker please?) :club:
Yeah, it is impossible to be a TRUE atheist, just as it's impossible to be a true atheist in regard to unicorns or leprechauns. I can't prove that unicorns and leprechauns don't exist, but I do have a pretty good idea that they don't. Richard Dawkins made a scale from 1-7 with 1 being complete belief in god and 7 being complete atheism. It's unreasonable to be a solid 7. I consider myself a 6.9 on that scale, just as I'm a 6.9 on that scale on whether or not unicorns exist.Edit: a few people have said this exact same point except with different examples.
Yeah, it is impossible to be a TRUE atheist, just as it's impossible to be a true atheist in regard to unicorns or leprechauns. I can't prove that unicorns and leprechauns don't exist, but I do have a pretty good idea that they don't. Richard Dawkins made a scale from 1-7 with 1 being complete belief in god and 7 being complete atheism. It's unreasonable to be a solid 7. I consider myself a 6.9 on that scale, just as I'm a 6.9 on that scale on whether or not unicorns exist.Edit: a few people have said this exact same point except with different examples.
Its not unreasonable to be a solid 7. Im one of them about god, Santa, unicorns and leprichauns. Just because something cant be proven not to exist, doesnt mean that it does exist.
Its not unreasonable to be a solid 7. Im one of them about god, Santa, unicorns and leprichauns. Just because something cant be proven not to exist, doesnt mean that it does exist.
No, I agree 100% on that point, the only reason i say it's unreasonable to be a solid 7 is because we can't prove that they don't exist.
A 7 is an adamant belief (similar to religious fundamentalism) that all faith-based beings definitely do not exist. It would mean that you are similar to those who will ignore all reason staring them in the face and believe otherwise. If most of us 6's literally had some god-figure start talking to us, show us some evidence that he is what he says he is, etc. we would be more then willing to reconsider our points of view. A 7 wouldn't.
That has a been a very common view of atheism for some reason, Daniel. I am definitely an atheist towards the gods that I know of. The christian god, zeus, poseidon, allah, etc.I would never go as far to say as "there definitely is no god of any sort in any way". Am I still an atheist? Of course. I'm certainly not an agnostic towards your god.This is the best way I've heard the term "atheist" described before (and honestly, I hate that the word exists because I would rather just tell people what I do and don't believe ... and why)Atheist is a person who has a lack of belief in a known god figure.BUT, according to all definitions of atheism, you, Daniel, are an atheist as well. You are an atheist to Allah, Buddha, etc. The only god you aren't an atheist towards is your god.
So the absence of the easter bunny is reason enuf to believe in the absence of God.Now thats real scholarship for you.
He didn't say anything of the sort colonel. He said he doesn't believe in god in the same way he doesn't believe in the EB, not that one is reason for the other.
BUT, according to all definitions of atheism, you, Daniel, are an atheist as well. You are an atheist to Allah, Buddha, etc. The only god you aren't an atheist towards is your god.
Actually, that would make him a monotheist.Also, it was nice to hear some honesty in that article.
I would bet that the number of people who believe outright that there is 100% a god outnumber the atheists who believe the opposite.As for people who believe there cannot be a god, I think it's more of an adverse reaction to those numbers of believers who ignore the lack of evidence and say they KNOW there is a god. For me personally it's a way of saying 'for all intents and purposes, there isn't a god' which to my mind is the most reasonable assumption by far. I think a lot of non-believers do admit to themselves that their knowledge of the cosmos is not that great as to deny outright the existence of a higher being, but when when talking about it it's sometimes easier to deal in absolutes.