Z O M G - P A L I N ! ! !

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fine fair enough. my point was he could have had any job he wanted and chose to be a community organizer which I think could be viewed as noble and caring for the less fortunate and insert altruistic cliche here.accomplished scholar was a poor word choice but the overall point is valid. and you call me a nitpicker!
...but you'll still refer to a President who graduated from Yale as a "moron"

About the community activist thing. I think the problem is that the Republican strategy seems to be to ridicule their opposition rather than countering it. "Inflate tires to save gas! Bahahahahaha!!!""coMUNNITY ACTivist!! Hahahahahaha!""TALK to the Iranians!! Bwahahaha!!!"I don't see that kind of thing convincing any thoughtful person.

...but you'll still refer to a President who graduated from Yale as a "moron"
yes and I knew a lot of people at the University of Pennsylvania who I thought were morons. If you were a big elitist like me who went to an Ivy league school and a preppy boarding school, you would know that lots of people get into fancy boarding schools and Ivy league schools who did not deserve to. It is usually well connected people who get to go when they dont belong....You know any presidents who graduated from Yale who are well connected? Help me out here :)I am NOT impressed that he went to Yale.
fine fair enough. my point was he could have had any job he wanted and chose to be a community organizer which I think could be viewed as noble and caring for the less fortunate and insert altruistic cliche here.
I think your timeline is off here Cane. AFAIK he didnt work as a community organizer AFTER Harvard, that was between Columbia and Harvard. After he left Harvard he received a book advance from his publisher and a fellowship from Univ of Chicago, and he stretched that out to a mult-year gig. I dont know how much the advance was, but after having already established connections in Chicago politics through Sidley & Austin prior to Harvard, a high paying law firm job was no longer in his career plans, and not something he eschewed for community service.
I think your timeline is off here Cane. AFAIK he didnt work as a community organizer AFTER Harvard, that was between Columbia and Harvard. After he left Harvard he received a book advance from his publisher and a fellowship from Univ of Chicago, and he stretched that out to a mult-year gig. I dont know how much the advance was, but after having already established connections in Chicago politics through Sidley & Austin prior to Harvard, a high paying law firm job was no longer in his career plans, and not something he eschewed for community service.
this is possible. the age Obama hinted he was when he was a community organizer implied to me that it was after Harvard.....however he might have had an irregular timeline and did a little academic stop and go. (a handful of people in my class did something like this)of course, great grades at Columbia, great performance at Harvard Law.....either one would give him the option of having a nice, cushy high paying job. (Although not as big a slam dunk as being pres. of Harvard Law Review.....I am not sure you could put a better notch on your resume as a law student.)
yes and I knew a lot of people at the University of Pennsylvania who I thought were morons. If you were a big elitist like me who went to an Ivy league school and a preppy boarding school, you would know that lots of people get into fancy boarding schools and Ivy league schools who did not deserve to. It is usually well connected people who get to go when they dont belong....You know any presidents who graduated from Yale who are well connected? Help me out here :)I am NOT impressed that he went to Yale.
I'm not saying Bush is intelligent just on his academic pedigree - You were the one who wanted to annoint Obama as an "accomplished scholar" based on his.Whatever. Obama is smart. So is Bush.
I'm not saying Bush is intelligent just on his academic pedigree - You were the one who wanted to annoint Obama as an "accomplished scholar" based on his.Whatever. Obama is smart. So is Bush.
Alright we disagree on Bush but that is fine. I am drawing the distinction between merely getting into a place like Yale and then getting C's (which to be fair is a criticism that could be levied on Al Gore or John Kerry)......and getting into Harvard AND becoming President of the Law Review (a position that is CUTTHROAT in how people go after it)AND let's not forget that you have to do incredibly well academically just to make law review in the first place. (At Miami Law, you have to finish in the top 7% of your class or finish in the top four or five of a writing contest that contains hundreds of submissions......I finished in top 7.25%....woe is ****ing me!)I really think I was being objective in lauding obama's scholarly achievements while denigrating Bush's. I hope I gave some insight into why. i will admit that I think my evidence is stronger that Obama is really really smart than my evidence that Bush is dumb.
Yes, but at that point that wasnt even in the picture.
well at some point it had to be.....after Harvard it might not have been but after Columbia it still could have been. unless he worked at Sidley during undergrad which would be really unusual.
wow...5 million more women watched SP than BHO (and therefore 6 million fewer men..so much for the VPILF factor)
this may represent something significant or it may represent curiosity. hard to say. I still think that at least a majority of women will be put off as they learn over the next few months just how conservative Palin is. She is a die hard. And being anti-choice is going to be a tough sell to most women who were not already voting McCain. However, her selection will clearly energize the evangelical base. They are smitten with her even more than MSNBC is with Barack.
this may represent something significant or it may represent curiosity. hard to say. I still think that at least a majority of women will be put off as they learn over the next few months just how conservative Palin is. She is a die hard. And being anti-choice is going to be a tough sell to most women who were not already voting McCain. However, her selection will clearly energize the evangelical base. They are smitten with her even more than MSNBC is with Barack.
It will be significant if they were Clinton supporters who tended to be older and somewhat less concerned about abortions. Ive blocked MSNBC in my house so I woudnt know. (jk!!!)
It will be significant if they were Clinton supporters who tended to be older and somewhat less concerned about abortions. Ive blocked MSNBC in my house so I woudnt know. (jk!!!)
I have been hard on Fox News (justifiably in my opinion) but MSNBC is just as bad. I used to like Keith Olbermann many moons ago.Said it before, I go to ABC for my news. Since they own Disney and ESPN (both of which are loved by liberals and conservatives) they have practical incentive to try and be to the center.

btw, there may be a lot of people who dont realize it and dont understand SPs joke, but hockey mom is not the same as a soccer mom, just a different sport! The intensity is something on the order of UFC vs yellow belt ATA "sparring" ie hockey moms can be nuckin futs!We had one team where at least one mom was in a fist fight in 5 or 6 games in a 70 game season....and some of them fought with men, lol.

Rasmussen poll, 2 nights before and 1 night after her speech, the DNC bounce is gone and things are back to the 1 point BHO lead from before the conventions.Other interesting results: 58% favorable rating, better than Obama or McCain.Press trying to hurt her 51% Help 5% Unbiased 35%Who has better experience to be President: Obama 48% Palin 44% (a question that I object to since that isnt the race, but still an indication that the GOP message is getting through on Obama)

Rasmussen poll, 2 nights before and 1 night after her speech, the DNC bounce is gone and things are back to the 1 point BHO lead from before the conventions.Other interesting results: 58% favorable rating, better than Obama or McCain.Press trying to hurt her 51% Help 5% Unbiased 35%Who has better experience to be President: Obama 48% Palin 44% (a question that I object to since that isnt the race, but still an indication that the GOP message is getting through on Obama)
It's going to take some time to see the effects of these things. Two new state polls released today show a statistical tie in IN & ND, two states which Bush won by more than 20 points. However, these were taken before the convention. I'm going to add the electoral vote count to my sig so we can watch it change.
Ah... didn't see them, just heard about them. Didn't realize they were just Wings Jerseys. Thanks for the clarification.
Found more about them. They were personalized for the delegates and signed by Gordie Howe in a fundraiser for Gustav held in St Paul on the first abbreviated night of the convention. "The swag at Cox's party was a coveted red and white hockey jersey with "Team Cox" and "RNC" gracing the front and the individual delegates' names on the back with the number 08."