I'm a GENIUS.I used to date a girl that was a bit older than me, and she LOVED The Watchmen when it came out. A few years ago, rumors surfaced that it was gonna be a movie, so I went onto e-bay and bought the complete set, #1-12, first run, for $26 including shipping.http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-WATCHMEN-1-12-Full...p3286.m14.l1318That's not my set on e-bay, but I'm trying to determine the best time to sell it... wait until we get closer to the release, or try to capitalize on the excitement due to The Dark Knight?And does anyone wanna buy it?
I would sell them now, right now. I do not think the price will get higher than it is right now, if they are really going for 200 bucks. The watchman was an incredibly popular series, and pretty much ushered in the comics "collectors" boom. So, pretty much any comic "collector" who wants that series, already has it. So right now, for the first time in ages, you're actually getting speculators. But the supply of watchman sets is quite large, so I don't see that these prices are going to last forever. I'd sell before the market corrects itself.
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with Hellboy and Sin City, I think since this is a relatively unkown comic to the masses, the movie should be very good, as there will not be any need to pander to the public say the way Spiderman and X-men did.

Never heard of it :club: This should be a very interesting movie. It seems like the story might not translate too well to the big screen, but there's no doubt it will look great, and I'm sure Snyder knows the importance of doing this one well. The graphic novel is definitely worth a read for anyone who hasn't read it already.....the novel is considered a "modern classic" (didn't Time magazine but it in their best books of the 20th century list or something?).....can't wait to see more on this movie as it becomes available.

As with Hellboy and Sin City, I think since this is a relatively unkown comic to the masses, the movie should be very good, as there will not be any need to pander to the public say the way Spiderman and X-men did.
Also with Spiderman and the Xmen, there is no definitive source material that they are adapting. They are more.. iconic than the watchmen, they are more archetypes, more of an idea, than they are a specific thing. Other than, maybe, spiderman's origin, there is no story they really need to adapt, they can just take the idea of the spiderman, or the xmen, and make their own specific story. With something like the watchman, it is a very specific thing, it's not just characters that need adaptation to the big screen, but more importantly a STORY that needs to be adapted. And, much like any book that has a cult following ( LOTR for example) the hardcore fan base is going to have very strict expectations that the adapters stay true to the original story. Me personally? I care much more about them making a good movie than I do about them staying true to specific details..

I imagine, to make it relevant to the modern audience, that the war on terror will be the backdrop of the story and not the Cold war. And that's fine, it needs to be relevant. I just hope they stay true to the spirit of the watchman. Somethings MUST stay true to the GN, such as Ozymandias MUST get away with it. The ending is what made the book so mind blowing, and they HAVE to kept it intact, or I'll be crushed.

Also with Spiderman and the Xmen, there is no definitive source material that they are adapting. They are more.. iconic than the watchmen, they are more archetypes, more of an idea, than they are a specific thing. Other than, maybe, spiderman's origin, there is no story they really need to adapt, they can just take the idea of the spiderman, or the xmen, and make their own specific story. With something like the watchman, it is a very specific thing, it's not just characters that need adaptation to the big screen, but more importantly a STORY that needs to be adapted. And, much like any book that has a cult following ( LOTR for example) the hardcore fan base is going to have very strict expectations that the adapters stay true to the original story. Me personally? I care much more about them making a good movie than I do about them staying true to specific details..

I imagine, to make it relevant to the modern audience, that the war on terror will be the backdrop of the story and not the Cold war. And that's fine, it needs to be relevant. I just hope they stay true to the spirit of the watchman. Somethings MUST stay true to the GN, such as Ozymandias MUST get away with it. The ending is what made the book so mind blowing, and they HAVE to kept it intact, or I'll be crushed.

Yeah your point about Xmen and spidey is dead on. Already a lot of the fanboys are bitching because they didn't like 300, but 300 was great going by the comic, I just thought the comic was pretty weak to begin with. As long as this isn't the disaster that V for Vendetta was I will be happy. That tried way to hard to make it relevant in a post 9/11 world.

On route to see TDK I told a friend that there would be a trailer for The Watchmen on before the film. Needless to say the British version had no such trailer and we were greeted with a trailer for yet another Guy Ritchie crapfest. So thanks to Jadaki for posting The Watchmen trailer here and withholding my friend's beating me for getting his hopes up!

On route to see TDK I told a friend that there would be a trailer for The Watchmen on before the film. Needless to say the British version had no such trailer and we were greeted with a trailer for yet another Guy Ritchie crapfest. So thanks to Jadaki for posting The Watchmen trailer here and withholding my friend's beating me for getting his hopes up!
*cough cough* ahem... * cough cough*
100_3039.jpg100_3042.jpg100_3045.jpgSo, who wants 'em?There's a set at 275 on e-bay right now, and I'm gonna take the advice and sell now, I think. As far as I can tell, they're in great condition... edges and corners are all sharp, no stains, no bends. Can someone make a judgment of their condition from these pictures? Anyone wanna buy 'em? And do we have any e-bay experts that could help me out?
*cough cough* ahem... * cough cough*
I'm sorry sir. I see you posted the first link, but it was Jadaki's I followed. Apologies. But you dissed Tool in another thread so fuck ya! :club:
For some of you who might be opposed to reading, someone has taken to the task of animating and narrating the comics.The first comic is complete except for an excerpt at the end... 3 parts on YouTube.Episode 1 - Part 1Episode 1 - Part 2Episode 1 - Part 3
This is really cool. I just went ahead and bought it off of itunes so I could actually see the animation clearly. Well worth it, and the sounds that they use definetly are perfect for the feel of the comic.
  • 2 months later...

I just bought the Novel and spent a good portion of a 9 hr ride to IL reading it.Should be done with it by Tuesday. Just thought I would share this.I put the book down long enough to write this.

I just bought the Novel and spent a good portion of a 9 hr ride to IL reading it.Should be done with it by Tuesday. Just thought I would share this.I put the book down long enough to write this.
It's okay to call them comics, that's what they are. Just because a comic is really good, doesn't make it not a comic. "Graphic Novel" was an 90's marketing gimmick, to trick people into not feeling guilty about buying comics.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Really stooping to new lows to up your post count aren't you?If I was a mod I would lock you at 1999 and never let you hit 2k.
meh = i saw the trailer and it doesnt really suit my tastes
  • 1 month later...

There has been advanced screenings of the movie, and the ending is different and has been leaked. This is what I have heard the ending is, though I have no proof it is so.

They cut the squid. Veidt frames Dr. Manhattan. Apparently Manhattan's impact on technology is much more apparent than it was in the comic, and he has bases around the world that help develop his new technology. Veidt rigs those to set off nuclear explosions, thus uniting the world against Manhattan instead.

There has been advanced screenings of the movie, and the ending is different and has been leaked. This is what I have heard the ending is, though I have no proof it is so.

They cut the squid. Veidt frames Dr. Manhattan. Apparently Manhattan's impact on technology is much more apparent than it was in the comic, and he has bases around the world that help develop his new technology. Veidt rigs those to set off nuclear explosions, thus uniting the world against Manhattan instead.

Sigh, I just wanted to reply to this saying "I won't read the spoiler but I really hope they don't change the ending at all".Of course as soon as I hit reply the spoiler cover comes off. GG me.But anyway I'm still very excited about this movie, hence the new Watchmen themed av and sig.

I had heard that they cut the squid, but I assumed they were somehow going to still stick to the original ending without it.Anyway, even though it would have been cool if they had stuck to the original as much as possible, that altered ending still seems okay to me. Not as good in my opinion, but it still fits well with the story.