Who's Coaching Who?

Now that the FT is set the bidding wars might start on who gets the best coach for the FT. Who do you guys think will end up coaching, and who do you think they'll coach? I know a few of the players that made the final 9 are good, and some know good players, so a guy like chino might not have to pay someone to coach them, but he'll probably practice with some of his friends like the Mizrachi bro's, Donator, etc.. I think the entire PokerVT group should coach 487c69daeda9b.jpg this guy, for a % of his winnings :club:. Just sayin. I'm sure Hellmuth will make an appearance in the coaching scene, and maybe someone like Chan or Scotty Nguyen...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are two different aspects to the coaching decision that a final table player will make.The first decision will be whether that coach can actually help them. The second thing to factor in is the promotional opportunities that may present themselves by being connected to a certain coach. Somebody who is high profile might not make a good coach but they might be able to get you more exposure and make you more money away from the table.Also, who knows what deals the training sites may try and do with players for final table exposure.

Nobody's called me....................yet.I don't think coaching is the best approach to this delayed FT and if the coach isn't right for the players style, it could be detrimental. The most important thing is staying grounded and booking some scores right before the FT. Confidence is key. Phil Gorden's idea about playing a bunch of live sng's with the same structure and chip stacks for practice is pretty damn good.

I think there are two different aspects to the coaching decision that a final table player will make.The first decision will be whether that coach can actually help them. The second thing to factor in is the promotional opportunities that may present themselves by being connected to a certain coach. Somebody who is high profile might not make a good coach but they might be able to get you more exposure and make you more money away from the table.Also, who knows what deals the training sites may try and do with players for final table exposure.
Yea so the players might actually get paid to be coached. Its a big deal if the winner has a crest that says pokervt and has DN whispering into his ear between hands on camrea.

FCP's second most hated pro phil gordon made an interesting point on poker road radio wondering if anyone would hire 8 people to play the other 8 finalists and their stack sizes

Yea so the players might actually get paid to be coached. Its a big deal if the winner has a crest that says pokervt and has DN and JC whispering into his ear between hands on camrea.
FCP's second most hated pro phil gordon made an interesting point on poker road radio wondering if anyone would hire 8 people to play the other 8 finalists and their stack sizes
Who's the first? Annie Duke?
Who's the first? Annie Duke?
AD and PG didn't have threads made about them when they busted the ME and DN's golf green wasn't threatened with a fork if either of them made the FT.
AD and PG didn't have threads made about them when they busted the ME and DN's golf green wasn't threatened with a fork if either of them made the FT.
i see some one got the message, and where did annie duke come from? she isnt even close to being as hated as gordon

No offense but LOL at Roy Winston setting up a FT coaching company.Obv not to be confused with the real Oracle. For all you IT nerds.

I would love to see Daniel coach Scott

it'd be awesome if jerry yang coached somebody an they showed up the FT and said "I waise one mirron dorrars"for sure put someone on tilt
jerry_one_million.jpg

If I ever got to the WSOP FT, I would choose someone like JC or DN to learn to think "outside the box" and take over the FT. Everyone there can handle ABC poker and luck is DEFINITELY involved, but they subtle nuances that someone like Daniel or Juan Carlos could provide is beyond the $$$ required to get it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Craig marquis is friends with all the high stakes guys and raptor has a % so I'm sure he'll be getting coached by durr/raptor and a bunch of other good high stakes regs. If I ft'ed I think I'd pick mig.com to coach me

I think this FT is going to be completely different from almost any other ever played. I could really see some people come out and play relaxed and really focused with all this time to mentally prepare and that is without the possible coaching that will take place most likely. But I could see it go the other way too, with people having too much time to think about the actual magnitude that will come with winning the ME and making some bad decisions. As well because the time inbetween they last played with each other is so great tehy may forget alot of info they had built up, not to mention players could be completely different by that time. Obviously people play with new players all the time but this time its going to be for millions with lowish M's, really a precedent that I'm interested to see how it plays out.

if i made the final table, id follow gordon's advice. i'd put up a hundred or two and have 8 poker buddies play a winner take all sitngo matching all the other players stacks. i'd do it a few times a week. you could even instruct players to check raise, bluff slowplay you ect... even though my buddies styles wouldn't match up with the real players, just having the experience of plaing the "final table" a few dozen times could prove to be really valuable. maybe even more valuable than instruction. i think instruction could really mess with your head if your teacher doesnt have the same playing style as you do. does anyone think that they'll continue to have the final table well after the series. this was probably the worst lineup that could have made it. i doubt that they'll do it again.

This has nothing to do with the coaching aspect of this final table, but I did over hear an interesting conversation that took place just outside the doors of the Amazon room. Someone (an oriental with a very business like suit, possibly lawyer/agent type, or could have been representing a company trying to sponsor players for final table) was talking with a couple of guys. It appeared he was trying to sell them on a representation/agent agreement. He was saying that they were at that point offering set fees to each of the players that were left (33 at that time), it sounded to me like they got paid whether or not they made the final table. I didn't hear much more than that other than him mentioning the amoutn of $25,000 for one of the players (I don't remember the name). I assumed the people he was talking to were either friends of a player or they were representing one of the players. I stood and listened as much as I could, but they started talking low and shielding their conversation from me when they noticed me standing near by.