The Bowling Thread

Well NCAA doesn't recognize Men's Bowling as an official sport due to Title IX. Women's Bowling is a sanctioned NCAA sport. We officially have club status so we are lucky we get anything at all.Some of the big bowling schools have MASSIVE budgets. We can get just about everything paid for with our 11k budget. They have a budget of around 350k IIRC (I'll look it up when i get a chance). They have a Hall of Fame coach, fly most places, have top equipment and top training tools. That is why it is hard for us to do well versus teams like them, due to the massive budgets they get compared to us.EDIT: Their website mentions around 325k in expenses every year. Just disgusting compared to what we need to get by.
Wow never realized it was like that. That is super tough but give you guys credit for doing it. I mean not sure how many of us would be willing to spend the cash for it even if we love what we do. I mean in college not like you are rolling in cash
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot 742 last night to bump average up to 221.5 243-230-269Trying to make a run at top 5 average in city, which coming from the bowling alley I bowl at, would be a HUGE accomplishment.Right now the 2 easy houses each have 4 bowlers ahead of me, with 4 of those 8 bowlers at 225 and under.Also FINALLY got around to ordering new balls, got the Wild Ride, Maxxx Zone, and a new spare ball (my old one hooks too much)So my 5ball bag for tourneys will now be: Wild Ride, Maxxx Zone, Gamebreaker, Total NV, Spare Ball

Shot 742 last night to bump average up to 221.5 243-230-269Trying to make a run at top 5 average in city, which coming from the bowling alley I bowl at, would be a HUGE accomplishment.Right now the 2 easy houses each have 4 bowlers ahead of me, with 4 of those 8 bowlers at 225 and under.Also FINALLY got around to ordering new balls, got the Wild Ride, Maxxx Zone, and a new spare ball (my old one hooks too much)So my 5ball bag for tourneys will now be: Wild Ride, Maxxx Zone, Gamebreaker, Total NV, Spare Ball
I am not too sure if you have mentioned it before but how many 300's and 800's you got?
I am not too sure if you have mentioned it before but how many 300's and 800's you got?
0 and 0 hahaI've never really been a big game shooter, just a sick grinder haha. 782 776 774 771 are top 4 series. 299 290 289 289 288 i think are top games.I did have front 9 tonight but left 3-6-7-10 in 10th for 266.oops

shot 170-188-196 tonight, was surprisingly consistent with my spares, just couldn't get any strings going. meanwhile, 2 300s were shot in my league.

shot 170-188-196 tonight, was surprisingly consistent with my spares, just couldn't get any strings going. meanwhile, 2 300s were shot in my league.
LoL300aments.So silly, the easiest of the houses here in Fargo had 5 300's shot there last week, close to 20 on the year, and those same bowlers bowl at my home house (the tougher one) and there hasn't been a 300 yet this year.I think I need to switch alleys.
LoL300aments.So silly, the easiest of the houses here in Fargo had 5 300's shot there last week, close to 20 on the year, and those same bowlers bowl at my home house (the tougher one) and there hasn't been a 300 yet this year.I think I need to switch alleys.
I know for me I have been thinking about bowling at another house where 300's are shot much more frequently.
I know for me I have been thinking about bowling at another house where 300's are shot much more frequently.
Right now I do it strictly for money reasons, it is $14/night at the 2 houses I am at now, and $19 at the easiest house. I have to budget my money as is being a poor college kid.Speaking of budgeting, I bought a next-to-new Cell from a friend for $15 and I am going to go get that drilled up today...I hope it hooks like I want it to.
My tourney bag currently looks something like:Weak: Avalanche SlideMedium: Pyro (so goddamn reliable)Strong: Hy-Roadand a T-Zone for spares. Sometimes I rotate in my Cell, but I don't really like it that much for most conditions. I also need to re-slug my Orbit Extreme and Dry Heat, because you can never have enough Heat 2 core in your life.My buddy that owns the pro shop that I work in has a Wild Ride that he really likes, though he's all about that new NVD now.
My tourney bag currently looks something like:Weak: Avalanche SlideMedium: Pyro (so goddamn reliable)Strong: Hy-Roadand a T-Zone for spares. Sometimes I rotate in my Cell, but I don't really like it that much for most conditions. I also need to re-slug my Orbit Extreme and Dry Heat, because you can never have enough Heat 2 core in your life.My buddy that owns the pro shop that I work in has a Wild Ride that he really likes, though he's all about that new NVD now.
Don't forget it is good to have either 2 medium or 2 strong balls, one dull and one polished.SoSoSo many shots just don't allow polished or don't allow dull to work, so that can mess so many people up.Also, I just got added to a team of bowlers from the Minneapolis area for Men's Nationals in Vegas this year. Will be down there bowling Sat-Sun July 18-19Weeeee

This is only second time bowling in a league and I'm 33. Before that I very rarely bowled and if I did it was usually when the lights are off, the pins are different colors, the music is loud, and the drinks are flowing. My current average is around172. I'm throwing an old TEC Messanger. I'm having a lot of fun so I'm thinking about buying a new ball. Leaning toward the Gamebreaker as my Dad has one and really likes it (seems like everyone in here approves of them too). I need to practice more as I'm not covering my easy spares as often as I should, especially 7 and 10 pins.

This is only second time bowling in a league and I'm 33. Before that I very rarely bowled and if I did it was usually when the lights are off, the pins are different colors, the music is loud, and the drinks are flowing. My current average is around172. I'm throwing an old TEC Messanger. I'm having a lot of fun so I'm thinking about buying a new ball. Leaning toward the Gamebreaker as my Dad has one and really likes it (seems like everyone in here approves of them too). I need to practice more as I'm not covering my easy spares as often as I should, especially 7 and 10 pins.
Yeah, pretty much everyone that I know that has a GB loves it. I really want to get a new ball that will do better in more oily conditions. Thoughts? (mostly directed at Fargo)
Yeah, pretty much everyone that I know that has a GB loves it. I really want to get a new ball that will do better in more oily conditions. Thoughts? (mostly directed at Fargo)
Storm has the 2nd Dimension coming out on Feb 12th. I have been hearing sososo many good things about that ball from proshop people.I just bought the MaxxX Zone and Wild Ride and will hopefully be getting them sometime this week so I will let the thread know if I like them or not. It is the most excited I have been for new balls in a long time.I saw a few MaxxX Zone's at the college tourney in StL this weekend and they looked NICE going down...We bowled on a 41' flatline, I think ONE team finished plus. TOUGH shot.I am trying to think what other balls I saw that were being thrown. Lots of Virtual Gravitys. Dimension is always a good ball too...but I would wait for the 2nd Dimension if you go the Storm route.
I have the virtual and that ball hooks a ton for me. I had the black widow bite which was my ball for oil and the virtual has me at least 5 more boards deeper inside and I didn't touch the ball surface out of box.
I have the virtual and that ball hooks a ton for me. I had the black widow bite which was my ball for oil and the virtual has me at least 5 more boards deeper inside and I didn't touch the ball surface out of box.
Plus the Virtual looks sweeeeet going down the lane.
Don't forget it is good to have either 2 medium or 2 strong balls, one dull and one polished.SoSoSo many shots just don't allow polished or don't allow dull to work, so that can mess so many people up.Also, I just got added to a team of bowlers from the Minneapolis area for Men's Nationals in Vegas this year. Will be down there bowling Sat-Sun July 18-19Weeeee
Oh for sure, if I'm going to play on a sport shot or something that's actually more challenging than a house shot, I'll bring along my dull Cell and my Orbit Xtreme which is a fairly weak ball, but drilled to roll early and even and kept at a matte finish. That covers most shots. That Pyro is so even that it's a great benchmark ball and I can make moves/ball changes based off my read from that.And I'm left-handed, so once I find a line, I don't move all day anyway. :club:
The HyRoad, drilled strong and dulled, outhooks everything in my bag. That new Brunswick Maxxx Zone is a beast too.
And I'm left-handed
I now hate you.I am so jealous of the lefty on our NDSU team. He just goes on any shot and plays right up the gutter and he is lined in all day.While I have a line for 2 frames before the other 8 righties on the pair mess it up.

did some practicing this weekend throwing pretty much just the virtual gravity. Shot 279, 215, 217, 259, 255, 165 and 219. Not too bad considering haven't bowled in about a month and the first 5 games was during cosmic bowling.Now I have the bug and figure I will probably be going at least a couple times this week also.

did some practicing this weekend throwing pretty much just the virtual gravity. Shot 279, 215, 217, 259, 255, 165 and 219. Not too bad considering haven't bowled in about a month and the first 5 games was during cosmic bowling.Now I have the bug and figure I will probably be going at least a couple times this week also.
Good games. I pulled a typical me tonight at league, 254-212-169. Real disappointed in myself. But my MaxxX Zone and Wild Ride got here today and they will be drilled by tomorrow afternoon and I am pretty pumped.

I had my best series ever last night. Now it's probably pretty pathetic compared to most of your scores but it was the most fun I've had bowling in leagues. First game 191, second game 221 where I left the 10th open. Third game was 214.

I had my best series ever last night. Now it's probably pretty pathetic compared to most of your scores but it was the most fun I've had bowling in leagues. First game 191, second game 221 where I left the 10th open. Third game was 214.
Hey man, you got to start somewhere!Is that your 1st 600? Congrats on the new high series!
Hey man, you got to start somewhere!Is that your 1st 600? Congrats on the new high series!
Thanks! Yes it was my first 600. Also in the first game I had the first two strikes. The third and fourth frames were both really good shots. I left the 10 in the third which I missed and the 7 in the fourth which I missed. I need to get better and covering those spares.